New hire off street

Jimmyb31

I'm a new hire off the street and my seniority day is next week. Once I'm done with training do they have to give me 8hrs of work no matter what if I ask for it. I've noticed a couple guys not working very much since they made their 30 days but they don't care if they work or not. I do. I have a family to support and I also don't like sitting around at home doing nothing. I've done very well on my training route. No late pkgs no missed pkgs. I've scratched every day but maybe 2 since the first week I was put on my own. my customers love me also.

Sent using BrownCafe App

Jimmyb31

Sorry I hit something and it sent it but I wasn't done typing. Anyhow so as far as the work goes. Am I guaranteed 8hrs worth of work if I ask for it? Thanks

Sent using BrownCafe App

Indecisi0n

Once you make book you are guaranteed 8 hours everyday. If they tell you "We have nothing for you" say that's fine but I demand my 8 hours. They will find you something easy to do in the building like sweep. Also...slow down now.

Jimmyb31

That's fine with me. As long as it's work. I was just worried since I'm off the street I can't work in the hub like most guys do if they get laid off for the day. Thanks for the info

Sent using BrownCafe App

barnyard

KTM rider
An off the street guy can bump a low seniority PT person. It will not be a high seniority job, it will be either loading or unloading trailers.

UPS4Life

Are you a seasonal, cover, or full timer? Maybe I missed it but I saw it says your off the street wasn't sure if you just started or not

Sent using BrownCafe App

UPSGUY72

I'm a new hire off the street and my seniority day is next week. Once I'm done with training do they have to give me 8hrs of work no matter what if I ask for it. I've noticed a couple guys not working very much since they made their 30 days but they don't care if they work or not. I do. I have a family to support and I also don't like sitting around at home doing nothing. I've done very well on my training route. No late pkgs no missed pkgs. I've scratched every day but maybe 2 since the first week I was put on my own. my customers love me also.

Sent using BrownCafe App

Unless your got hired in the last two weeks of Sept you could be classified as a Casual / Temp no matter what they told you. People hired off the street from June 1st to the end of the second week in Sept and from Oct 1st to the Second week in January could be classified as a casual and Temp and thus aren't guaranteed any hours of work. If you still working after the Second week of January you should be considered a FT employee unless you local cuts a side deal with UPS if the volume hasn't dropped off by then. But I don't see that happening since they added the 2 weeks in January on just for that reason.

Good luck.

As the low man on the seniority list you could find yourself laid off at the beginning or the year if the volume drops off a lot. That being said depending on your area you could bump back inside for 4 or 8 hours of work at your would have been PT rate. In my area you can take the layoff or bump 1 or 2 PTimers or in my state you do both.

PT Car Washer

Under the supplement we work under FT driver displaces the least senior PT provided the FT has more building seniority then the PT. Not hard to do as we hire new PT all the time.

Jimmyb31

Unless your got hired in the last two weeks of Sept you could be classified as a Casual / Temp no matter what they told you. People hired off the street from June 1st to the end of the second week in Sept and from Oct 1st to the Second week in January could be classified as a casual and Temp and thus aren't guaranteed any hours of work. If you still working after the Second week of January you should be considered a FT employee unless you local cuts a side deal with UPS if the volume hasn't dropped off by then. But I don't see that happening since they added the 2 weeks in January on just for that reason.

Good luck.

As the low man on the seniority list you could find yourself laid off at the beginning or the year if the volume drops off a lot. That being said depending on your area you could bump back inside for 4 or 8 hours of work at your would have been PT rate. In my area you can take the layoff or bump 1 or 2 PTimers or in my state you do both.

I was hired in May I had a issue with one center in my first 30 days and the tried to DQ for some BS and the center manager from another center heard about it and saw how well I was doing so she took me to her center and I had to start my 30 over. Do casuals and temps get to be union? I was given my Union application to fill out And turn back in so its done on my seniority day. I better be full time. I left a pretty good job to come here. Long term this is better that's why I did it.

Sent using BrownCafe App

UPS4Life

Looking at your last two posts it seems like you don't really know what you are. If your an off the street full timer which is a 1/6 chance you're guaranteed to work everyday. If you're an off the street casual your only guaranteed 8 on the days they call you. As far as a cover driver goes I was never in package car but I would assume they wouldn't hire them off the street as at my hub if a cover driver doesn't have work they go back inside to their part time position making part time wage at part time hours. I think the first thing you need to do is ask if you are full time or not. And when I say ask I mean your supervisor or a union member at your building because we can only give you info off of what you're telling us and to me it isn't to clear.

Sent using BrownCafe App

UPSGUY72

I was hired in May I had a issue with one center in my first 30 days and the tried to DQ for some BS and the center manager from another center heard about it and saw how well I was doing so she took me to her center and I had to start my 30 over. Do casuals and temps get to be union? I was given my Union application to fill out And turn back in so its done on my seniority day. I better be full time. I left a pretty good job to come here. Long term this is better that's why I did it.

Sent using BrownCafe App

Have they been taking Union dues and initiations fees out of your pay check ? or due you work in a RTW state.

The date that they hired you the second time is the only date that really matters. If it falls into the time frame that I gave in my previous post you could be considered a casual the only way to be sure will be if your still working after Jan 16 of 2015 or go ask your HR person what you status is.

If you a FT employee your guaranteed 8 hr a day however being the low man on the pole playing that card might find yourself laid off and or working inside the building at what would have been your pt pay rate if you started as a PTimer.

Last edited:

hondo

promoted to mediocrity
Sorry I hit something and it sent it but I wasn't done typing. Anyhow so as far as the work goes. Am I guaranteed 8hrs worth of work if I ask for it? Thanks
Do you know what regional supplement to the Teamsters contract you fall under? The "guarantee" varies. For example: here, only the top 90% of the center seniority list have a "guarantee" of work/pay.

When you make your seniority next week, get a copy of your contract, read it, and ask your shop steward questions; because the answers you get here may not apply to you.

And congratulations!:cheers:

Jimmyb31

Thanks for all the info. My steward told me last week they would start taking Union Dews after I made seniority. Their are 4 other guys who were hired also 1 other off the street and they Are all full time as well. Not sure why anyone would think I don't know what I am. I pretty much explained it as easy as I could. When I took the job I took it because it was a full time position. I'm fully aware I may be laid off here and there to start out. In my hub once u make your 30 days as a full timer you become a cover driver. Then obviously in a few years if u win a route bid then u have your own route. Otherwise u stay a cover driver. I'm not sure if that's how all the hubs are I just saw someone on here ask if I was hired as full timer or cover driver. In Kansas at my hub it's the same thing one u make your 30 as a full timer you become a cover driver. I appreciate all the help. Hope to be with the company until I retire. I'm fully aware that the first year will prob suck but I have to start some where just like all of your did at one point. Thanks again everyone. God Bless and GO ROYALS!!!!!!

Sent using BrownCafe App