New hire, package driver

burrheadd

KING Of GIFS
I finally called the manager after the HR guy told me who my manager is.
We spoke for 10 seconds and he said would call me back. I haven't heard from him since this morning. Have no idea when I am supposed to start. This is only the first day after Integrad. How does this place work?

Mostly like this
SNAFU

The Christmas Peak volume has not arrived yet. Few vacation. UPS can't lay off a seniority driver just so you can work.

No one asked them to. Your comment suggests there must be a need before I can work. Ok, I get that, however, they posted a job hiring a new "Full-Time Permanent Package Car Driver" and I applied based on their posting for a driver. If they are simply preparing a pool of trained drivers who will wait until they are needed they should've said that. If they don't need me then let me go back to my prior job and wait for them to call me. Not sit around and play a waiting game to work while I am not earning money.

These guys called me, called me, rushed me to get a DOT, get trained.....as though they needed me now... and what?? Even the recruiters are like, "This doesn't make sense!"

PT Car Washer

No one asked them to. Your comment suggests there must be a need before I can work. Ok, I get that, however, they posted a job hiring a new "Full-Time Permanent Package Car Driver" and I applied based on their posting for a driver. If they are simply preparing a pool of trained drivers who will wait until they are needed they should've said that. If they don't need me then let me go back to my prior job and wait for them to call me. Not sit around and play a waiting game to work while I am not earning money.

These guys called me, called me, rushed me to get a DOT, get trained.....as though they needed me now... and what?? Even the recruiters are like, "This doesn't make sense!"
A lot of things UPS does, doesn't make any sense. It is what it is. Or "if you don't like your job you don't have to work here". I have heard it all.

burrheadd

KING Of GIFS

Here's what ya need to do
Go down to the ups office bang on the bosses door and demand to be put to work

Let me know how it works out for ya

The only thing I ask do not give me excuses for the organization such as "oh its slow" or "The Christmas season is not here" or "We can't lay off a senior driver so you can work" and so forth. The problem is the management and recruiters seem to be disconnected. Especially with external package driver hires. No effective onboarding process and planning in place. That is the real problem. Now people have to figure out what to do to take care of their families until UPS decides if they want you or not.

burrheadd

KING Of GIFS
The only thing I ask do not give me excuses for the organization such as "oh its slow" or "The Christmas season is not here" or "We can't lay off a senior driver so you can work" and so forth. The problem is the management and recruiters seem to be disconnected. Especially with external package driver hires. No effective onboarding process and planning in place. That is the real problem. Now people have to figure out what to do to take care of their families until UPS decides if they want you or not.

Sounds about right

Johney

1. Believe it or not, we just had a feeder driver bid back in to package. Reason? He was tired of working nights. He has never worked a day in package and has no idea how to use a DIAD. He was not one of the most motivated inside workers.
This should be interesting.
Nights takes a minimum of 6 months to acclimate to, a little less if you're on the same run with the same start every night. How long was he in feeders? I would leave before going back to days. Especially back to package.

By The Book

How does this place work?
Not like you think... This is a large company and there are many moving parts to be prepared for peak season. You want them to just put you on truck day one out of integrad? It's all about the volume to justify another driver. Can you work your other job until you get the call UPS needs you?

cosmo1

Perhaps.
Staff member

Somebody in corporate figured out who you are, followed you here and saw your avatar.

Bingo. No work for you.