New Hire, Reduced Hours, Indirect forced quit/Termination?

Iggles

Long time lurker here and finally registered. Started at UPS about three weeks ago. Its been going pretty well so far. Im currently a preloader in a center. I've had a few misloads over the past weeks and have zeroed out 3 times. Last Friday I had five Package cars and ten misloads. Monday we were slow and I had three trucks with no misloads. Monday another trainee also started working a few trucks up from me loading with a pt supervisor. Tuesday I got to work five minutes late and I hadn't received any Packages yet but the trainee and pt sup were working on my trucks. I was told to go home for the day. Wednesday I came back to work and was told to go back home again and the pt sup gave me his number to call him on thursday prior to coming in. Thinking this may be the beginning of the end :(. Basically just want to know if I'm screwed. Should I start looking for another job? I've had a hard times somedays but nearly everyday I get done I help other loaders finish up. Know that might not mean much but I don't slack when I startup. Any advice or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

bleedinbrown58

That’s Craptacular
You don't slack but you've been there 3weeks and been late at least once. Unacceptable. At ups, late is late....be it five min or an hour. In 7 years...i've been late to work 3x. If you want the job....show up everyday they tell you to come in...ten min early and ready to work.

ORLY!?!

Master Loader
Sometimes they are over staffed, " they believe they are ", and wont wait to ask someone to go home. Our midnight is way over staffed, they send people home all the time.

Often when they do on preload, it ends up screwing everyone else.

PiedmontSteward

RTW-4-Less
Long time lurker here and finally registered. Started at UPS about three weeks ago. Its been going pretty well so far. Im currently a preloader in a center. I've had a few misloads over the past weeks and have zeroed out 3 times. Last Friday I had five Package cars and ten misloads. Monday we were slow and I had three trucks with no misloads. Monday another trainee also started working a few trucks up from me loading with a pt supervisor. Tuesday I got to work five minutes late and I hadn't received any Packages yet but the trainee and pt sup were working on my trucks. I was told to go home for the day. Wednesday I came back to work and was told to go back home again and the pt sup gave me his number to call him on thursday prior to coming in. Thinking this may be the beginning of the end :(. Basically just want to know if I'm screwed. Should I start looking for another job? I've had a hard times somedays but nearly everyday I get done I help other loaders finish up. Know that might not mean much but I don't slack when I startup. Any advice or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Preload is notorious for cutting new hires multiple days a week and making them take 2-3 months for them to get seniority because of hour allowances for the shift. Quite frankly, your coworkers are a bunch of ****ing chumps for letting your supervisors cut you and then load your cars instead. Just keep going to work until you make your seniority and then you're guaranteed your 3.5 hours/day.

Ouch

Be sure and j keep in the union when you are able. Then you can make up the money you missed out on when they sent you home. Like the other poster said get there at least 10 mins before your start time ready to work. Attendance is a huge thing with ups.

ORLY!?!

Master Loader
Preload is notorious for cutting new hires multiple days a week and making them take 2-3 months for them to get seniority because of hour allowances for the shift. Quite frankly, your coworkers are a bunch of ****ing chumps for letting your supervisors cut you and then load your cars instead. Just keep going to work until you make your seniority and then you're guaranteed your 3.5 hours/day.

And then theres that.

Also hes only three weeks in, they could be having some person working that set. He cant ask for his 3.5 yet, hes not really hired yet. Hes going to have to play it cool for now with a calm head.

He can also ask a random person working there in view if a soup is working that set, when they cut him that day. I also was going to say he ask for the 3.5. But hes not hired yet, being their bitch for now is whats going to make you or break you in having a PT job here.

Edit, he could be sucking at load quality, as well. Bringing back that old preloader to load who knows how to. Theres a lot of reasons.

Iggles

You don't slack but you've been there 3weeks and been late at least once. Unacceptable. At ups, late is late....be it five min or an hour. In 7 years...i've been late to work 3x. If you want the job....show up everyday they tell you to come in...ten min early and ready to work.

Won't make that mistake again. Woke up, ate, etc.. and then laid back down and closed my eyes. BIG MISTAKE. I had been getting there 15 minutes early until I friend'd up. Won't make the same mistake again. Alarms set in five minute increments starting at 2:25. Load normally starts at 3. Takes me about 10-15 min max to get there.

Iggles

And then theres that.

Also hes only three weeks in, they could be having some person working that set. He cant ask for his 3.5 yet, hes not really hired yet. Hes going to have to play it cool for now with a calm head.

He can also ask a random person working there in view if a soup is working that set, when they cut him that day. I also was going to say he ask for the 3.5. But hes not hired yet, being their bitch for now is whats going to make you or break you in having a PT job here.

Edit, he could be sucking at load quality, as well. Bringing back that old preloader to load who knows how to. Theres a lot of reasons.

I think the new guy who started Monday hasn't worked there before so should he be getting more hours than me since he's "training?" My loads are actually pretty good in my opinion, minus the misloads every once in a while( 5 trucks is not fun lol). I load everything I can when I get it and try my best not to stack out unless I get hit hard. I also help the guys around me when I'm slow and try to have as much fun as possible with the job. (Joking around with the guys not slacking). I'm prepared to wake up every morning to call in before work but just don't want to be getting the run around.

UnconTROLLed

perfection
I would definitely stay and try to make your 30 working days since you are three weeks in. Once you make 30 working days, since you were hired prior to Oct 1st, you'll be able to request 3.5 hours and either (1) work or (2) get sent home, file a grievance, get paid to sit home.

Iggles

I would definitely stay and try to make your 30 working days since you are three weeks in. Once you make 30 working days, since you were hired prior to Oct 1st, you'll be able to request 3.5 hours and either (1) work or (2) get sent home, file a grievance, get paid to sit home.

Yea I'm going to stick it out. I have another pt job so I'll be ok but the added income from ups is greatly desired lol. Don't want to get in a predicament where I'm calling every morning though.. Iggles: "Hey just wanted to know if I needed to come in." Sup: "Productions low today so we won't need you" rinse repeat.

J

jibbs

Job Search | one search. all jobs. Indeed.com

I browse and fill out applications nearly every day, and I live in no fear whatsoever of losing my part-time job with UPS.

If you're stubborn enough, stick it out with UPS while you have to. If you lack that hard-headedness that a lot of us have, I would suggest searching your zip code on Indeed. You can use keywords, but if you just put your zipcode and search you'll find everything that that engine's got for your particular area's radius.

Personally, I don't know what you should expect. I agree with the others who've said you should ask your supervisor directly. It might be an uncomfortable conversation to put yourself in, but an uncomfortable instance is much better than months-years of uncomfortable "semi-employment."

PiedmontSteward

RTW-4-Less
And then theres that.

Exactly. He essentially has no contractual rights until he makes seniority.

P

pickup

Preload is notorious for cutting new hires multiple days a week and making them take 2-3 months for them to get seniority because of hour allowances for the shift.

Good point and let me add: it may take him quite a bit longer to get to seniority if he is sent home a few more times. I haven't quite done the math but he was already close to getting seniority just before the "free" period that starts Oct 15. If he doesn't get seniority by then , he is going to have to wait until sometime in January to start accumulating days towards seniority again. (New Contract extends the free period to Jan 10 if I am not mistaken)

Cementups

Box Monkey

I agree with you and I'm not sure how other people just don't get it. We have a few drivers who just show up when they show up. 8:40 scheduled start time but when I'm driving down the street out of the building at 9:00, there they are just driving towards the parking lot. WTF?!?!?!?
I've always had the mentality that if you're not early, you are late.

you aint even know it

Well-Known Troll
Troll
What ever you do, you don't want to bug/nag any of your supervisors while on probation. I've seen two of my co-workers permanently get put on call and never got called back just for consistantly texting the supervisor and asking him if they can come tomorrow, and they would also ask him that when they are told that they are done for the day; you dont want to do that. Just say ok and tell your sup "ok.......later, have a good one", even if they sent you home 2 mins after you started.

you aint even know it

Well-Known Troll
Troll
Exactly. He essentially has no contractual rights until he makes seniority.
Here in local 804, you make seniority if you work the day after 90 calender days REGARDLESS!! So what that means is if you dont make 40 working days in 90 calender days, then you make seniority if they work you on your 91th calender day. Sucks that 95% of the workers in my local dont know this.