New Hire, Reduced Hours, Indirect forced quit/Termination?

ORLY!?!

Master Loader
He should also not complain or lose is cool. A friend of mine had one his buddies apply, and was working for these past two weeks. Until the building manager started to yell at him because he wasnt charging fast enough. Then he lost his cool and started yelling back. He was fired so damn quickly.

PiedmontSteward

RTW-4-Less
Ahhhhh, yes he does. He actually has all except that they can drop the hammer on his head without a reason as long as it doesnt voilate the law.

Hence the "essentially." In practice, there isn't much a probationary employee can do in response to being taken off the job (no "just cause" contractual protection) unless they can prove they were discriminated against via the NLRB or the EEOC.

bleedinbrown58

That’s Craptacular
Ooops, I meant 40 in 70 calender days. You make seniority on your 71th calender day REGARDLESS in loc 804. (if you knew, or the union/shop steward noticed).
Wrong! If you do not work 40 days in your first 70...you will make book on your 41st work day in a subsquent 70 day consecutive period. Read the contract, troll.

Iggles

Update:
Had to call this in before going this morning and was told I didn't need to come in. Asked pt sup if my job was in trouble and he told me that I would have to talk to the head supervisor Monday when he returns. This really sucks. I'll keep calling in though because I actually like the job and need it. Also didn't know about the 70/90 day thing. Is unjustified firing prior to making 30 days a prominent thing at UPS? I've been respectful and friendly with all my supervisors and have tried to stay under the radar as best as possible.

Catatonic

Nine Lives
Update:
Had to call this in before going this morning and was told I didn't need to come in. Asked pt sup if my job was in trouble and he told me that I would have to talk to the head supervisor Monday when he returns. This really sucks. I'll keep calling in though because I actually like the job and need it. Also didn't know about the 70/90 day thing. Is unjustified firing prior to making 30 days a prominent thing at UPS? I've been respectful and friendly with all my supervisors and have tried to stay under the radar as best as possible.

No but firing prior to making 30 days is a prominent thing at UPS.

letticesandwich

I think you'll be okay. When I was a new hire, I worked maybe two days a week. When told not to come in and was called 10 minutes before start time and asked when could I get there. Then worked a few full weeks. Then worked two weeks in which I only worked one day per week. I felt the same as you, was UPS messing with me? Then Vacations started, and I have had only one day off in the last few months. Do you know you did your best? Then don't worry. Peek is coming. If you are new, you will put in the positions that need the help. I'm a few months in. Every day I go there, I do not know where I will be working. Was told that is normal.

BrownSuit

My guess is that your issue is more the misloads than coming in late. In one day you said you had 10, two days later you were sent home. How many did you have before then? Assuming the 10 is it, that's still an average of 1 a day for every day worked.

Loyal Teamster

Long time lurker here and finally registered. Started at UPS about three weeks ago. Its been going pretty well so far. Im currently a preloader in a center. I've had a few misloads over the past weeks and have zeroed out 3 times. Last Friday I had five Package cars and ten misloads. Monday we were slow and I had three trucks with no misloads. Monday another trainee also started working a few trucks up from me loading with a pt supervisor. Tuesday I got to work five minutes late and I hadn't received any Packages yet but the trainee and pt sup were working on my trucks. I was told to go home for the day. Wednesday I came back to work and was told to go back home again and the pt sup gave me his number to call him on thursday prior to coming in. Thinking this may be the beginning of the end :(. Basically just want to know if I'm screwed. Should I start looking for another job? I've had a hard times somedays but nearly everyday I get done I help other loaders finish up. Know that might not mean much but I don't slack when I startup. Any advice or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

In my hub most of the preloaders including myself take supplements to improve our performance.
Go to GNC & buy some Jack3d. Your speed will improve exponentially & ur sups will love you. Once you make seniority, you could stop taking it if you want.

bleedinbrown58

That’s Craptacular
Lol, you're wrong. You need to go read the contract over again.
Local 804 supplement reads as follows........"After 40 days of work within a 70 consecutive workday period, a new employee will acquire seniority and the employee shall be given a seniority date as of his/her first day of employment (orientation) worked within such 70 workday period. If, however, the employee does not complete the 40 days within these 70 days, his/her seniority date will be the 41st day worked within any subsquent 70 workday period." I assume reading isn't your strong suit...lol.

you aint even know it

Well-Known Troll
Troll
Local 804 supplement reads as follows........"After 40 days of work within a 70 consecutive workday period, a new employee will acquire seniority and the employee shall be given a seniority date as of his/her first day of employment (orientation) worked within such 70 workday period. If, however, the employee does not complete the 40 days within these 70 days, his/her seniority date will be the 41st day worked within any subsquent 70 workday period." I assume reading isn't your strong suit...lol.

Agree, you're right and im wrong. I'm such a idiot.

barnyard

KTM rider
It sounds like you have misloads every day and that your loads are great, "except for the misloads." You are not understanding how big a deal misloads are to some people. If you are dismissing them now, others may be seeing that and saying, "Does not care about misloads, let him go."

I have seen that.