new hires / please come to work :)

• Thread starter helpwantedbadly
  • Start date

bear123

cashmen said:
How can a pt timer complain when they get full medical benefits for you and your family after 180 days.........hell, I dont know of any pt jobs that give full medical benefits....it is why i stuck around UPS for so long as a part timer......medical benefits make a hell of a lot of difference when ya have a family!
I know that 8 an hour is not alot nowadays, but that is just starting pay, you can get raises by taking a sort test and drive on Saturdays and not to mention Full Medical benefits for you and your family!
I just think that kids nowadays dont want to work anymore and want the high paying office job right away instead of working for it!

:lol:There is only one problem with your logic, cashman, It's the 8.00 an hour clause. You can get the same jobs working at McD's in air conditioning and working your own hours. True they could have gone to McD's instead of UPS but they didn't know the difference until they worked at UPS. When a worker realizes the type of work that is involved at UPS, i.e. working your ass off in a hot truck, getting dirty and grimy, getting yelled at by a supervisor because you didn't catch a salt, etc, etc, etc. All for 8.00 an hour. But hey at least you have great benefits, huh. I gurantee you when he does jump ship at UPS, he will be heading to McD's.
And then you wonder why there is a high turn over rate?
What really infuriates me is when UPS pats themselves on the back when they are getting raves because they are considered one of the most admired companies to work for. Are you kidding me? if the poll takers want to get an accurate reading on what it is like to work for at UPS how about interviewing the people who actually do the work. I am not talking about mgmt, I am talking about the hourlys, especially the pt's who only get 8.00 an hour.
This has to change on the next contract. But it wont, especially if Hoffa stays in office.
One other thing cashman (hey I am on a roll here) You said that is why you stuck around here, because of the medical benefits, i have a feeling when you started, you were getting paid a lot more--pre 1982--. I have been here going on 29 years next month. Yes the medical benefits were good but so was the pay. As far more money for being a sorter, when PAS goes national, sort pay will be obsolete. Because the PAS tells you were to sort a package, hense you dont have to take a sort test, that means all sorters will be unskilled. As far as medical benefits for new hires, as someone said on this board, most of them are covered by their parents. they could care less of medical benefits.

Last edited:

rngri4

bear123 said:
:lol:There is only one problem with your logic, cashman, It's the 8.00 an hour clause. You can get the same jobs working at McD's in air conditioning and working your own hours. True they could have gone to McD's instead of UPS but they didn't know the difference until they worked at UPS. When a worker realizes the type of work that is involved at UPS, i.e. working your ass off in a hot truck, getting dirty and grimy, getting yelled at by a supervisor because you didn't catch a salt, etc, etc, etc. All for 8.00 an hour. But hey at least you have great benefits, huh. I gurantee you when he does jump ship at UPS, he will be heading to McD's.
And then you wonder why there is a high turn over rate?
What really infuriates me is when UPS pats themselves on the back when they are getting raves because they are considered one of the most admired companies to work for. Are you kidding me? if the poll takers want to get an accurate reading on what it is like to work for at UPS how about interviewing the people who actually do the work. I am not talking about mgmt, I am talking about the hourlys, especially the pt's who only get 8.00 an hour.
This has to change on the next contract. But it wont, especially if Hoffa stays in office.
One other thing cashman (hey I am on a roll here) You said that is why you stuck around here, because of the medical benefits, i have a feeling when you started, you were getting paid a lot more--pre 1982--. I have been here going on 29 years next month. Yes the medical benefits were good but so was the pay. As far more money for being a sorter, when PAS goes national, sort pay will be obsolete. Because the PAS tells you were to sort a package, hense you dont have to take a sort test, that means all sorters will be unskilled. As far as medical benefits for new hires, as someone said on this board, most of them are covered by their parents. they could care less of medical benefits.

Great post...I am in management, and I agree 100 percent with this one. My brother worked at the beach least year, and got to look at women with bikini's etc all day, and made ten dollars an hour. Why would somone want to come to UPS for eight an hour and to work their butt off? I started at ten an hour when I was hourly, but that has been a time ago, but PAS has changed all that, changing skilled to un-skilled etc. We can't keep preloaders for this very reason, they go to Mickey D's or someplace else, they still get benefits, college etc, and don't have to work so dadblamed hard!

B

BFTS99wannabee

Just been invited over here by one of yours (I usually get banned from the postalnews.com site for all but 30 minutes a week.) Nobody wants to hear the truth. You guys seem to have standards in your hirings. The PO hires any warm body, especially if you are a relative of management. No reading skills required! Still, we've been extremely short for a few years now. Seems a big difference in direction. Apathy reigns supreme. Anyway, for laughs, go take a look at the postalnews.com site sometimes. Good for you to check out your competition (???)