New Hires

S

sendagain

It's difficult to get into feeder driving, except at Christmas time, when they need more drivers. A person with semi experience might have a better shot during the peak season. Having background as a police officer might give you an edge on other applicants because of integrity issues. Believing you are the man they should hire might take you farther than listening to a lot of negative talk about how hard it might be. A person with the right attitude goes a lot farther than those who give up before they even try.

S

sendagain

I would try for a package driver if you have no semi experience; they won't hire you to drive semis with no experience; unless you are promoted from the package driver position. Most of the semi runs are within range of your area, so that you can return to the building the same day. They do have some long haul runs.

F

fredly00

Feeder driver school is a two week intensive training course(thats all I know)

Most if not all Feeders come from the
package car driver hranks..
feeder drivers can make 70-100k a year.
the higher bracket is for team drivers
that haul longer distances.

Most "local" feeders, drive through the night.
Shuttle trailers to a hub, and then return back
to their centers daily...

You might be home in time to make breakfast for
the family, then home all day to sleep... wake
up and make dinner for the family... and go to
work for the night...

There is no easy way through UPS, with or without
credentials, emphasis is on working your way up.
Luck does play a part for those hired off the
street. But I wouldn't gamble on it.. maybe you
can find a small center with a year wait for full
time..

G

gman

One note that may affect you. If you are looking for a pension, the Central States plan is in trouble. I would hope that a push to organize more drivers will aid the cause but at the moment, pensions have been slashed and retirement medical is unaffordable. Who knows whats down the road but the changes have knocked my retirement plans into the next decade.

By the way, if you are interested in the LP deal, it usually requires a college degree to get into full time management. Good Luck.

J

jelly_donuts

I have the degree. I just don't know who to approach or where to send a resume. Who knows who looks at it if you mail it off to Atlanta.

I have gotten the impression, both from anyone locally wearing the brown, to those that have responded on this board, that if you don't sort packages P/T for several years, that I have little chance of ever getting hired with UPS.

It seems that unless you start at the company when you are young, working your way through college earning $200 weekly, you should not bother at age 35.

I am going to give it a shot regardless. I would love to land a job with UPS and I appreciate everyone's help and comments.

Take care.

Bryan

J

jelly_donuts

I have posted my resume online and also attempted to contact UPS Corporate in Atlanta to see if I could get further information regarding an LP position.

I was told the usual. "Apply and submit your resume online."

Are resumes routinely looked at or only when there is a need to fill a position? I was less than impressed with the helpfulness of anyone answering a phone there.

Anyway - I want to thank all of you that have answered my questions and helped me along the way...