New Hours Initiatives

Driver

Well tell me more about the swing position overflowed, I'd like to read of your experience please.

All I've been told so far is that I'll be covering vacations, call-ins and whatever else needed done 5 days a week.

And I guess I shouldn't say ride along but rather working around others.

Another question about working at Express that I haven't received a definite answer..yet. How does overtime pay work? Time and a half? The company I'm leaving now paid OT as (what I've heard called) "Chinese overtime" which was BS!

MrFedEx I appreciate your guidance and suggestions on my situation, I'll just have to play the hand I'm dealt as of now. If I see things are going South rest assured ill be making future plans for the better if they exist.

overflowed

Well tell me more about the swing position overflowed, I'd like to read of your experience please.

All I've been told so far is that I'll be covering vacations, call-ins and whatever else needed done 5 days a week.

Another question about working at Express that I haven't received a definite answer..yet. How does overtime pay work? Time and a half? The company I'm leaving now paid OT as (what I've heard called) "Chinese overtime" which was BS!

MrFedEx I appreciate your guidance and suggestions on my situation, I'll just have to play the hand I'm dealt as of now. If I see things are going South rest assured ill be making future plans for the better if they exist.

Sorry not a swing. As for what you've been told I will say yes that's correct. I think they made it sound easier than it is. However, just take it slow don't worry about things too much and don't be unsafe. With the way things are right now you will be very busy. You will not get much help. You will probably get frustrated. It's just packages and remember that. For any new courier. Best advice I can give. Good luck in your endeavors. Wasn't poking fun guy. Just wondering if they told you would get ride alongs as a swing. That's what I thought was funny. Also want you to understand that a swing off the street is probably the hardest courier job at Express.

DontThrowPackages

I love this. MEM is going to dictate that hours need to be cut again, and if you haven't heard about it yet, you soon will. A gigantic, sweeping dictate, and POOF, it just magically happens. Except it won't, because it is an utter and complete cluster. The only way they are staying above water is by throwing people at the problem...and that means hours. If they want to eliminate OT completely, that means even more PTers, more vans, and more confusion. It just gets better.

WE ARE LED BY MORONS!!!

Well isn't this what we've been saying all along? They want to make Express drivers PT'ers. This is just the second phase.

DontThrowPackages

I tell you what, I've wanted to work for either FedEx or UPS for awhile now, they are both within walking distance from my house.

I've been lurking on this site for years now and I understand that UPS is the preferred place to work for most over Express as far as "pay" and "benefits" go.

The UPS hub close by has a 3-4 year waiting time for FT Driver from what I've been told but I know that varies and you can get "lucky" and get there sooner. OTOH the FedEx hub close by will from what I've heard from chatting with a driver "hire anyone with a pulse".

I finally landed a FT driver job as "swing" at the local FedEx Express hub. I was pretty excited that they contacted me back with the offer. So maybe I made the mistake (some here may say a blessing) of wanting to do a little research while waiting to be processed and all my findings led back to this forum and I read nothing but BAD things all around!

Is there truly NOTHING good about this place for employees?! There are no other forums I've found that will give any feedback (possibly positive to reinforce I haven't made a bad decision after all) or is this just a small group for all the would be whiners at work to vent so they don't lose their minds at work?

Anyways, I'm anxious to get started and do my job the best I can and keep my mouth shut and see what kind of vibe I pick up on, if any. Because surely if it's THAT bad someone will start spouting off on a ride along or something. Other than that I'll form my own opinions about the place I will be working and decide if this is somewhere I want a future at.

In any regard, I'm glad I'm in the package delivery business finally and if nothing more to gain, at least experience.
Ok you landed a FT swing, hopefully making 30,000 a year, and probably somewhere a guy was just hired as a loader at Brown. Just know that in 5 years, he'll be on his own route making 65,000 or more a year. In your 5 years, you will probably still be earning 30k(or less) and Brown will catch your total earnings and pass you in 4 years time. His pay will continue to increase year by year and by the time you reach the 10 year mark you'll be here telling some kid to do all he can to go Brown.

Ricochet1a

I finally landed a FT driver job as "swing" at the local FedEx Express hub. I was pretty excited that they contacted me back with the offer. So maybe I made the mistake (some here may say a blessing) of wanting to do a little research while waiting to be processed and all my findings led back to this forum and I read nothing but BAD things all around!

Is there truly NOTHING good about this place for employees?! There are no other forums I've found that will give any feedback (possibly positive to reinforce I haven't made a bad decision after all) or is this just a small group for all the would be whiners at work to vent so they don't lose their minds at work?

Well, that was your first mistake, hiring in as a full-time swing driver off the street. I saw many people who were desperate, do just this when I was in Express and virtually all of them were gone within 18 months. Being a swing is a tough job - much tougher than a regular Courier. You are expected to run ANY route with only having a SINGLE day of ride along prior to doing it yourself. If there is a call-in, you are STUCK in filling that route if there aren't any volunteers. As the new person with NO SENIORITY, you will be your manager's butt boy - you won't be able to schedule ANYTHING during normal Express operating hours. You may go home and think you have the afternoon with your family, to only be called back in an hour later to do a pickup route or run an bulk pickup - and there isn't a DAMN THING you can do about it once you answer the phone.

Anyways, I'm anxious to get started and do my job the best I can and keep my mouth shut and see what kind of vibe I pick up on, if any. Because surely if it's THAT bad someone will start spouting off on a ride along or something. Other than that I'll form my own opinions about the place I will be working and decide if this is somewhere I want a future at.

In any regard, I'm glad I'm in the package delivery business finally and if nothing more to gain, at least experience.

Your second mistake...

When a position in Express is opened up for an off the street hire (ESPECIALLY a full-time position) - than means only ONE THING. That no existing Express employee either in the station or in the JCATS jobs postings wanted ANYTHING TO DO WITH IT. This results in the hiring manager getting permission to make a new hire to fill the position - which within the station would be known as a CRAP position that no one wanted.

Here's the kicker. Swing Couriers ARE NOT in the same job classification as regular Couriers. Many not seem important at first - but there is a very important distinction. When a regular Courier position opens up, you CANNOT bid on the position with the rest of the station Couriers for that position. You are STUCK as a Swing until there is a position that opens up that no other currently classified Courier wants - THEN and ONLY then can you put in an application for that position to 'downgrade' to a regular Courier. Most managers do whatever they can to prevent their Swings from bidding on an open Courier position, since replacing Swings is so damn difficult for them (thus why the position you were hired into was done with an off the street hire).

Third mistake... experience in the 'package delivery business' means absolutely nothing to any other employer other than the fact that you were gainfully employed. It is considered to be a semi-skilled position which is filled by seniority within a company.

I'm still trying to decide how to support a family and pay a mortgage with a PT job as a feeder with no GUARANTEE you will move up any time in the next 10 years!

I'm 34, I understand the potential at UPS and I know when I put my mind to things I go get it, I just can't wrap my head around the wait, and I'm a pretty patient person but someone can only wait so long. I have a CDL A license and I've been driving for the past year, I wonder if that would stand out at all. Maybe, maybe not. Only one way to find out right?

Anyhow, I have to atleast see what this is all about, for myself. Then one day, I may be back giving you the thanks you deserve. =)

Fourth mistake... thinking that having a CDL means anything. It may have helped to get your hired (you stood above the other candidates), but as far as 'opening doors' in Express, it won't do you a damn bit of good. Wage positions in Express (with but a handful of exceptions) are bid STRICTLY by seniority. The fact that you already have a CDL won't do a damn thing to get you 'preferential treatment' in getting a RTD position (semi driving). There are plenty of high seniority Couriers who want to get into a RTD position and get out of the grind of running packages. They will have first crack at getting a RTD position.

I've made a commitment to myself to atleast give a new job 1 year to see how things settle in. And no, I'm not one to jump around from job to job, I put 14 years into one job out of high school and decided I wanted my CDL and try my hand at driving (I enjoy driving very much), got my CDL paid for through working a job as a vendor until they went under.

So now I finally land a position at a job I've desired for years and I'm looking for a long term career.

Fifth and biggest mistake. Express is no longer a career for a wage employee. It is merely a job which has stagnant compensation.

Can't be any worse coming from the circus that just left town that I worked at before, very poorly managed. But I did my job as told and gained some driving/routing experience to boot!

May not be worse, but it isn't better by much.

hypo hanna

....... Swing Couriers ARE NOT in the same job classification as regular Couriers. Many not seem important at first - but there is a very important distinction. When a regular Courier position opens up, you CANNOT bid on the position with the rest of the station Couriers for that position. You are STUCK as a Swing until there is a position that opens up that no other currently classified Courier wants - THEN and ONLY then can you put in an application for that position to 'downgrade' to a regular Courier. Most managers do whatever they can to prevent their Swings from bidding on an open Courier position, since replacing Swings is so damn difficult for them ....h.

ever wonder why when they cut the premiums for 2nd shift, 3rd shift and split shift, the left the premium for swings alone? Now you know. They can't very well call it a change to regular courier position if the pay was the same. Normally they will cite some precedent and they had one ready made. Namely that there is no premium pay for swing dispatchers. Remember what they said when they cut all those premiums, "we are trying to make pay more equitable across the company."

hypo hanna

You will basically be on call for any route that opens up. You won't know what your hours will be from one day to the next and won't be able to plan for much of a home life. The quality of station managers has gone way down over the past ten to fifteen years and it shows in their planning and scheduling. This means that their screw ups become your problem.
you will get some basic courier training, but soon enough you will have to sink or swim on your own. You will have to run any route that's open whether or not you know the area or the customers particular needs. Most (not all) dispatchers will help you out as much as they can with this but they too are overwhelmed so if it comes down to it, you may be on your own.

Nick9075

We just hired 3 new PT drivers(we don't have routes for them) we ALSO DON'T HAVE TRUCKS, we don't even have enough when one goes out.. so we have to rent a uhaul everytime

Uhaul is a complete rip. needed to rent a 14 ft last week. Two days came to $214 total with tax and another $98 to fill the gas tank before returning.
Budget truck comes to between $50 - $55 a day with taxes and fees

STFXG

We just hired 3 new PT drivers(we don't have routes for them) we ALSO DON'T HAVE TRUCKS, we don't even have enough when one goes out.. so we have to rent a uhaul everytime

Uhaul is a complete rip. needed to rent a 14 ft last week. Two days came to $214 total with tax and another $98 to fill the gas tank before returning.
Budget truck comes to between $50 - $55 a day with taxes and fees

Nick,
Your contract can be terminated for disclosing vendor rate information. Better be careful...

FedExRookie

Listen to me. Go back to UPS, get a job as a loader and wait the few years. You will thank me for the rest of your career in this industry. If you don't believe me, there are plenty of others who will say essentially the same thing. FedEx is a company with ZERO future. Please investigate your retirement "plan" and tell me what you find out.

While I believe 'MrFedEx' post are 100% sensationalized and anti-Fedex propaganda, I have to agree with this statement. If you plan on making this a career, for you and your family (future family if you don't have one), go to UPS and back their union.

I personally do not support unions, although I do admit they have their benefits.

I don't think Express is going under; however, it is slowly moving towards what it was initially created for.... OVERNIGHT packages. This along with cutting cost to make up for lost net income, although they are making millions they have lost millions, things will only get tighter.

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
You will basically be on call for any route that opens up. You won't know what your hours will be from one day to the next and won't be able to plan for much of a home life. The quality of station managers has gone way down over the past ten to fifteen years and it shows in their planning and scheduling. This means that their screw ups become your problem.
you will get some basic courier training, but soon enough you will have to sink or swim on your own. You will have to run any route that's open whether or not you know the area or the customers particular needs. Most (not all) dispatchers will help you out as much as they can with this but they too are overwhelmed so if it comes down to it, you may be on your own.

I can't imagine walking in off the street and being a swing. A truly thankless task, made much worse by the fact that the new swing has never been a courier and has no clue as to the level of scrutiny and management game-playing.

fedupped

If they want to keep you, they will sugar coat a small area of rts to cover. No sense to spend time and effort to hire and train you only to chase you out the door.

DontThrowPackages

One thing I've seen throughout the year and that's if you show pride and a willing to do more, they will give you more. Move like a possum in the daylight and they give you less do to. As long as they think you're doing your best, they will have to give you cake. Other swings will be pissed at you because basically you will have dumped them onto those rtes they hired you for. Good luck

overflowed

One thing I've seen throughout the year and that's if you show pride and a willing to do more, they will give you more. Move like a possum in the daylight and they give you less do to. As long as they think you're doing your best, they will have to give you cake. Other swings will be pissed at you because basically you will have dumped them onto those rtes they hired you for. Good luck

Hey, we were told no more costco cake the other week. This shows you how desperate they are getting to placate the WS promise.. "NO MORE CAKE! You are all spoiled, good for nothing..............

Maui

This is for everyone. Swings and courier/feeder agents CAN bid routes with regular couriers. Policy was changed in 2010 or 2011. Had to show a couple HR reps where to look for swing downbid. However, you may be held in position depending on the language in your offer letter.

The experience of a swing depends a lot on location. No matter what it can really suck to just get thrown to the wolves but if the management sucks and the STA is understaffed, then it is terrible. Just do what you can and be safe. Here is where DRA can be helpful because it makes setting up the truck super easy and routes it for you. Not as we'll as a knowledgable, senior courier, but serviceable.

Reattempt tomorrow

A swing driver has a schedule just like any other courier except it changes week to week. Yes sometimes you show up at work and have to run a different route. But it is not an on-call position. If you have the day off because you are filling in for a 4-10 you do not have to work because someone else calls in sick. If you don't have the courage to tell your manager no don't answer your damn phone or convince your manager you drink a lot and tell him you just drank a beer. Everyone will convince you that you are an on-call driver and have to show up anytime they need you. Been doing this for almost ten years as a swing, if you aren't on the schedule you have the day off.

Driver

Thanks for all the information you all. I'll take it good or bad.

(Oh and sorry OP for the hijack, no offense) :)

Maui

A swing driver has a schedule just like any other courier except it changes week to week. Yes sometimes you show up at work and have to run a different route. But it is not an on-call position. If you have the day off because you are filling in for a 4-10 you do not have to work because someone else calls in sick. If you don't have the courage to tell your manager no don't answer your damn phone or convince your manager you drink a lot and tell him you just drank a beer. Everyone will convince you that you are an on-call driver and have to show up anytime they need you. Been doing this for almost ten years as a swing, if you aren't on the schedule you have the day off.

This. If you have punched out and left the building, then I would not come back. I would say I was away, already had a drink or whatever. The one thing that can vary by location is Saturday work. Some location have M-friend swing and T-S swing. Some have your schedule change to work the route you are covering T-S.

Myort

This is my experience also. Choosing to not answer your phone is a good strategy. I had a manager attempt to call me on a Saturday morning (it was to be my 6th day) to tell me not to come in. It was only about 40 minutes before scheduled start time. Sorry, once I get out of bed and showered and dressed, I am coming in to get my OT. They ended up needing me after all anyways.