New hub being built

Discussion in 'UPS Discussions' started by Mr.nobody, Aug 21, 2015.

1. Mr.nobody

Mr.nobody Member

I've currently been with ups for 6.5 years and working towards a combo bid. I recently found confirmation that we are in the process of building a new hub that will be completed by the end of 2018. It's also going to be very automated and twice the size of our current hub. My FT sup says there will be no sorters, no pick offs, and no smalls due to this automated system that they will install. My question is will this affect new combo bids or my wait time to win a bid. The current wait time for a combo bid at my hub is 9 years. So hopefully I can win one before all this confusion happens.

Also, what they will do to the old hub is make it only for the use of preload and service drivers. "Package drivers". they plan to transfer everyone else to this new hub.

New to this site** so any knowledge thrown to me will be greatly appreciated.
  2. scratch

scratch Least Best Moderator Staff Member

Where is this Hub being built?
  3. clean hairy

clean hairy Well-Known Member

Inquiring mimes want to know where??
  4. Box Ox

Box Ox Would rather be driving an E-frame

5. Big Arrow Down...D

Big Arrow Down...D Leave the gun,take the cannoli

You'll be almost retired before they work the bugs out of an automated anything...
    • Agree Agree x 3
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • List
  6. Nothing you can do about it.
  7. Mr.nobody

Mr.nobody Member

Salt lake city utah. I'm just worried since ups is slowly trying to get rid of the Combo openings. As so I heard
  8. They want to get rid of anybody making over $10 an hour
  9. Wally

Wally Hailing from Parts Unknown.

10. Monkey Butt

Monkey Butt You can call me Chappy Staff Member

You may very well be affected.
    The elimination of jobs via automation reduces the need for jobs overall.
    With 6.5 years in and a 9 year seniority expectation for the desired jobs, you may be waiting longer.
  11. Covemastah

Covemastah Suspension Ovah !!! Tom is free FU Goodell !!

Your showing your age Wally !!! Lol. Sadly most these kids probably never saw the old Clarkville books or movies !!!
    • Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • Beer Beer x 1
    • List
  13. TooTechie

TooTechie Geek in Brown

I think Clarksville is the BoG town they use in driver school.
  14. Overpaid Union Thug

Overpaid Union Thug Eva Mendez Has A Nice (_!_)

There are some Clarksville centers out there. I know of at least one.
  15. PT Car Washer

PT Car Washer Well-Known Member

I think there is a Clarksville in almost every state. I know my state has a small town named Clarksville.
  16. AirOnTrace

AirOnTrace Allergic to cardboard.

Having a hard time wrapping my head around the idea of an automated smalls.
  17. Jackburton

Jackburton Gone Fish'n

I heard through the grapevine UPS bought a whole mess of land up off 575, some kind of superhub going in there as well in the near future to service around Cherokee County.
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • List
  18. Overpaid Union Thug

Overpaid Union Thug Eva Mendez Has A Nice (_!_)

There is one in my state. 13 nationwide.
  19. Monkey Butt

Monkey Butt You can call me Chappy Staff Member

If true, that will be interesting to see the changes in hub flows and feeder networking away from PLEGA and ATLGA.
  20. Mr.nobody

Mr.nobody Member

Yeah, automated smalls is what they said. I don't think it will be 100% automated though. I'm hoping since the hub will be twice the size as our current, it will create new jobs while also eliminating others... that's looking at it in an optimistic stand point.