New Ice/Snow vehicle law

Discussion in 'UPS Discussions' started by cachsux, Jan 18, 2014.

1. cachsux

cachsux Wah

2. oldngray

oldngray nowhere special

3. cachsux

cachsux Wah

CACH had snow removal devices installed back when it open and they have never been used. We've seen stuff come in and go out with huge amounts of snow on top. Once it becomes law around here they'll have to address it.

4. UpstateNYUPSer

UpstateNYUPSer Very proud grandfather.

We have one of these at my center.

As oldngray said, there is nothing more scary than to see a chunk of ice come off of the roof of the car in front of you.

5. ChickenLegs

ChickenLegs Safety Expert

This law is nothing but another revenue generator.

6. Jones

Jones fILE A GRIEVE! Staff Member

From the article:
    •In New Jersey, drivers can be fined $25-$75 for failing to remove accumulated ice and $200-$1,000 if the ice flies off and causes injury or property damage.

•In Pennsylvania, drivers can be fined $200-$1,000 if snow or ice flies from their vehicle and strikes another vehicle or pedestrian, causing death or serious bodily injury.

Not coincidentally, the only places I've seen snow removal devices for tractor-trailers is at hubs in PA and NJ.

7. over9five

over9five Moderator Staff Member

We got a brand spanking new one maybe two years ago. The problem is you can not use it unless there's a plow working with you. Without a plow truck, bobcat whatever, the snow piles up under them so you just can't use them. And do you think UPS is going to pay some plow driver to clear this for several days as trucks get cleared??? No way.

I've seen it used twice.

I've seen drivers on ladders with snow rakes clearing the tops of their trailers. Aint no way you'll ever see me on a ladder with a snow rake. Talk about insanely dangerous...

8. ChickenLegs

And no feeder driver is going to get ontop of their trailer and sweep it off. There's no amount of acronyms that can make it safe enough.

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • List
  9. TooTechie

TooTechie Geek in Brown

Until you see an entire wheel coming your way complete with tie rod ends still attached... Then snow and ice doesn't seem so bad.

Sent from Nexus 7 using BrownCafe mobile app

10. UpstateNYUPSer

UpstateNYUPSer Very proud grandfather.

...or a deer runs in front of your package car while you are going 60 mph....

11. cachsux

cachsux Wah

Good. Anyone too lazy to clean at least the windows and lights/taillights off on their cars deserves to have their wallet lightened.

As far as trucks it doesn't take too much ice to cause damage so this is something that needs to be addressed.

12. ChickenLegs

How about the guys that don't have a TA at a hub and are sitting for 30 minutes waiting? The snows going to pile up.

13. Monkey Butt

Monkey Butt You can call me Chappy Staff Member

Or a deer runs out in front of you on a motorcycle doing 95.
    That was close and scary ... especially afterwards.

14. cosmo1

cosmo1 Just another internet hooligan.

Thump, thump.

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • List
  15. oldngray

oldngray nowhere special

Once when I was in my private car a semi in front of me clipped a guardrail and tore off about a 6 foot section of it. It flew over the car in front of me that was between me and him , hit the road, and bounced over my car without touching it.

16. cosmo1

cosmo1 Just another internet hooligan.

And you were very glad you had an extra pair of shorts with you that day!

My son was riding with me last summer and as I was moving over into the left lane, he yelled "tire"! A recap came apart two or three trucks ahead of us, and he saw it just as I was moving over. About a hundred feet through the median later, we missed it.

Damn near ruined golf for us.:surprised:

17. Wally

Wally Hailing from Parts Unknown.

What does one do when ice builds up on a box sitting in the yard?

18. ChickenLegs

Tug test

19. cachsux

cachsux Wah

Until recently not much. But some vehicle damage has occurred in the last few years and they have directed us to get ahold of mgmt. if we find a large amount of snow of ice on the trailer roofs. For the most part they send us to the shop to get it removed as drivers refuse to tackle that issue of removing it.

20. TooTechie

TooTechie Geek in Brown

You're not kidding. That happened twice last week.

Sent from Droid 4 using Brown Cafe mobile app