New Ideas/Technology = More Money In My Pocket

Discussion in 'UPS Discussions' started by Overpaid Union Thug, Aug 15, 2015.

1. Overpaid Union Thug

Overpaid Union Thug Well-Known Member

So, lately as a driver it seems like whenever something new is tried or implemented at UPS the end result is me making more money. LOL. Everything the desk jockeys try just seems to make my job more complicated and take longer. It would seem that their goal is to make us as inefficient as possible.

This year we've started ORION and our preloaders have been instructed to hide our labels from us. There are other things that are more specific to my center and i want to keep my 15+ year streak of remaining anonymous going so I won't elaborate on them. Though I'm sure some are happening elsewhere too. Either way the formula is this....

new stupid ideas = more $$$$ for drivers

But with less efficiency. Keep up the good work corporate. You are inflating my 401k but destroying what used to be a great company.

• Winner Winner x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
    Last edited: Aug 15, 2015
  2. BrownTexas

BrownTexas Well-Known Member

We have recently implemented Orion. Personally I love it. I drive way more and work much less and this comes from a driver that only drives 30+ miles.

From a company aspect I think Orion is a huge failure.

I have missed daily, drive more miles that I would have normally, and have to have someone else do my pickups daily.

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • Creative Creative x 1
    • List
  3. barnyard

barnyard KTM rider Staff Member

I am finding the EXACT same thing.

My center is now on orion and I am finding that routes I used to run scratch to -1 hour, I am now +25 or greater. 1 route, I was a consistent 1 hour under and am now a consistent 30-45 minutes over.

The only change is orion and preloaders hiding the labels. I am spending way too much time looking for stuff.

Whatever.

Their dime.

4. barnyard

I am also finding that even though I come in UNDER orion miles every day, I am still over allowed. The only day that I scratched was a late air day. I had an off area meet and ran the route the way I saw fit. They did not post the miles that day, but I was 10 minutes under.

5. Big Arrow Down...D

Big Arrow Down...D Leave the gun,take the cannoli

What's Orion?

6. barnyard

I was out in Montana earlier this summer and spoke to a guy out of the Havre, Mt center. He laughed and said they would never get Orion as they would have to hire people to implement it. Lucky guy.

7. Brownslave688

Brownslave688 You want a toe? I can get you a toe.

Why would preloaders hide the labels?

8. Number24

Number24 #24

Because they don't care as long as they place the right box in the right section it's fine to them. Labels visible anywhere at any center should be a mandatory requirement.

9. Big Arrow Down...D

Big Arrow Down...D Leave the gun,take the cannoli

I have 3 addresses on my route, how would Orion work for me?

10. Brownslave688

Probably have you deliver half of each one. Then circle every building 4 times then deliver the other half.

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Funny Funny x 4
    • Winner Winner x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  11. barnyard

Because they are no longer trained to lip load with the labels facing out. Most of the stuff on the floor, the labels are face down.

12. Overpaid Union Thug

Overpaid Union Thug Well-Known Member

They are instructed to right the sequence numbers on the boxes and face them instead of the PALs or shipping labels. They are threatened with warning letters if they are caught moving PALs so that we can see them.The result is usually a truck full of boxes with unreadable chicken scratch numbers. Many of which are duplicates.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  13. oldngray

oldngray nowhere special

If you even mention lip loading to a new preloader you will get the deer in headlights stare. They most likely never heard the term before.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  14. oldngray

oldngray nowhere special

Odds are your preloader won't know that an x in the sequence number means the street is loaded high to low instead of low to high. Of course that doesn't matter since it will be just area loaded anyway.

15. Brownslave688

Yep. I have had a few friends that started preloading. A few weeks in I say great job but try to remember to lip load everything.

I usually get a look like @Johnnyfootball2014 trying to read NFL coverages. :)

• Funny Funny x 3
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  16. oldngray

oldngray nowhere special

Simple. Everything is a 2 deep zone. Isn't it?

17. Brownslave688

If you're playing Lovie smith it is.

18. ManInBrown

ManInBrown Well-Known Member

I've been saying it from the day my center got Orion. Follow it STOP for STOP. Only exception being breaking trace to make NDA service and business Savers. Then get right back on trace and watch your 401K and bank acct BLOW UP

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • List
  19. FrigidFTSup

FrigidFTSup Resident Suit

If my small center in the middle of nowhere has ORION, everybody is going to get it.

20. Ms.PacMan

Ms.PacMan Well-Known Member

I have an ORION question. What happens when the center has made a deal with a business to deliver them out of trace because they open late? Right now I break off and go back to beginning in the middle of the day. I'm guessing this wouldn't be okay with Orion.