New Important Policy Rumor/Buzz

59 Dano

I just want to make friends!
Personally I think thief is a strong word to use here, sandbagging != thief. He probably looks at is that he needs to make X to make his ends meet and he'll do what he can to keep that going.

A weak excuse for stealing doesn't keep it from being theft.

Now I agree management can and should have the ultimate say in this. But a thief? To me this is why managers are there, you have to expect workers doing things like this in any line of work, the manager should be on the ball to understand and then address it appropriately.

I agree. And on the rare occasion that a manager does address it, "WHAAAAAA I'm being singled out, why are you picking on me???"

TUT

Volume is not a defense to error.

Then why are the still being graded out well? I suspect poor management not doing their job staying on top of things they should -or- they are trying to balance morale into the equation as well.

Don't sit there and act stupid about these things and now all of a sudden act as if you and the human race is giving their full 100% all day, all the time. This is where the Internet or public speaking in general gets this holier than though perspective on issues, simple absolute answers in group thinks, which never tells the half of it. But it does sounds good in public gathering claps, then everyone leaves and does next to nothing they just cheered for. I think hypocrisy is the word.

In the case we are talking about, it isn't stealing. You could not take them to court and win based on that angle. So it isn't that. It's a worker stretching hours, which is managements job to uncover, address and take appropriate action that yes can result in firing. To think you can get hours back from them as if they were stolen, not happening.

TUT

That seems to be the idea. It usually takes the form of "What I do is ok since others are worse" or "I'm not really stealing, I'm just going out of my way to take more."

Dishonest isn't stealing and that is what I chimed in on, your example wasn't stealing as you called them to be. Neither are virtues, but they aren't equals either. And stretching hours doesn't necessarily mean being dishonest either I assume they were on the clock, but that is closer than stealing.

59 Dano

I just want to make friends!
Don't sit there and act stupid about these things and now all of a sudden act as if you and the human race is giving their full 100% all day, all the time. This is where the Internet or public speaking in general gets this holier than though perspective on issues, simple absolute answers in group thinks, which never tells the half of it. But it does sounds good in public gathering claps, then everyone leaves and does next to nothing they just cheered for. I think hypocrisy is the word.

He said, and I quote, "...somebody is trading their time for money and they do their job at a slower pace to make more money."

It's a worker stretching hours, which is managements job to uncover, address and take appropriate action that yes can result in firing. To think you can get hours back from them as if they were stolen, not happening.

Ah, so it's not stealing if you don't get caught. Thanks, got it.

El Morado Diablo

He said, and I quote, "...somebody is trading their time for money and they do their job at a slower pace to make more money."

Ah, so it's not stealing if you don't get caught. Thanks, got it.

Isn't it ironic to hear management calling it theft when someone is doing their job at a slower pace than they would like? Most FT's are scheduled for 9hrs; if you are light the expectation is you will bust your route as fast as possible so you can take a longer, unpaid break. If you are heavier than normal they want you to bust your route as fast as possible so they don't have to pay OT.

Productivity at our station has taken a dip in the past month. The volume is slightly lower, management has added multiple routes and hired new people. If they were serious about improving productivity they would collapse routes and send all the newbies home. That doesn't seem to be an option because they are scared they won't hit service and they don't want OT. They also haven't bothered to restructure routes because they are too incompetent and lazy. So instead of doing THEIR job, which is managing, they are handing out gap reports and demanding explanations for every ding on the report if you are below 95% of goal for the day.

We are managed by friend#@)ing morons....

El Morado Diablo

Isn't it ironic that the issue was couriers who intentionally work slow in order to pad their paychecks? Try and keep up.

I've never denied there are some couriers who work slowly to pad their paychecks. I'm just not so full of myself that I would call it theft the way you do.

I see salaried people every day on my route sitting on their asses not doing a damn thing who are collecting a paycheck too. This includes FedEx managers. Yes, I know salaried people often work long hours, don't get OT and are on call. How should their productivity be measured?

Hourly employees are expected to be available for work during their scheduled hours. Why should they have to hit a goal based on a full day's work, every day, even if they don't have enough stops to fill their day? If the company wants people to run full speed on a light day they should just send them home with guarantee pay when they are done. They can't do that though because some stations don't have PUP routes. So instead of compensating those employees for being available to work the entire length of their shift they expect them to keep their numbers up by taking longer unpaid breaks. So tell me, who is the real thief?

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
I've never denied there are some couriers who work slowly to pad their paychecks. I'm just not so full of myself that I would call it theft the way you do.

I see salaried people every day on my route sitting on their asses not doing a damn thing who are collecting a paycheck too. This includes FedEx managers. Yes, I know salaried people often work long hours, don't get OT and are on call. How should their productivity be measured?

Hourly employees are expected to be available for work during their scheduled hours. Why should they have to hit a goal based on a full day's work, every day, even if they don't have enough stops to fill their day? If the company wants people to run full speed on a light day they should just send them home with guarantee pay when they are done. They can't do that though because derssome stations don't have PUP routes. So instead of compensating those employees for being available to work the entire length of their shift they expect them to keep their numbers up by taking longer unpaid breaks. So tell me, who is the real thief?

Great post, EMD. Fred expects 110% effort, and then tries to chisel away your pay at every opportunity...late starts, recorders, glacial pay progression etc. If things are slow, he expects you to take an extended break. How about splits? Aren't those theft? It is if you have to be available 12 hours to earn 8 hours of pay. If you're giving 80% effort like most other jobs, you're a criminal at FedEx, not just Joe Average.

And management. Jesus. So many of them let the dispatchers do their job while they either hide or focus on inane garbage like GAP Reports and the like. The other thread is mentioning making multiple attempts just to boost "productivity". What an effing joke.

Dano is OK with all of this because the employee is the enemy trying to steal Fred's money, a philosophy Denial obviously agrees with. He's also OK with continuous lying on behalf of this fine organization, which speaks highly of his character.

El Morado Diablo

Great post, EMD. Fred expects 110% effort, and then tries to chisel away your pay at every opportunity...late starts, recorders, glacial pay progression etc. If things are slow, he expects you to take an extended break. How about splits? Aren't those theft? It is if you have to be available 12 hours to earn 8 hours of pay. If you're giving 80% effort like most other jobs, you're a criminal at FedEx, not just Joe Average.

I'm just an honest, hard-working employee who wants to be treated fairly. If I try to follow all the policies and jump through the hoops and come up a little bit short on productivity from time to time I don't want to get the FedEx Inquisition treatment.

Most hourly employees earn a living based on how many hours they put in on the job. We aren't earning additional bonuses based on hitting productivity, safety and budget goals. Our earning power is diminished when our employer expects us to be available for 9 hours but only guarantees us 7 hours of pay. Why should the company's time be worth money and not the employee's? If the company can't organize it's schedules to insure employees are compensated for ALL of the time they are scheduled to work then maybe it's time for government to re-write some of the labor laws in favor of hourly workers.

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
I'm just an honest, hard-working employee who wants to be treated fairly. If I try to follow all the policies and jump through the hoops and come up a little bit short on productivity from time to time I don't want to get the FedEx Inquisition treatment.

Most hourly employees earn a living based on how many hours they put in on the job. We aren't earning additional bonuses based on hitting productivity, safety and budget goals. Our earning power is diminished when our employer expects us to be available for 9 hours but only guarantees us 7 hours of pay. Why should the company's time be worth money and not the employee's? If the company can't organize it's schedules to insure employees are compensated for ALL of the time they are scheduled to work then maybe it's time for government to re-write some of the labor laws in favor of hourly workers.

Agreed. If you're a Teamster, you get 8 hours, and no games. Fred is a huge thief and an immoral bastard. The Inquisition Treatment has always been part of the game. Make people feel guilty and not part of the team. Psychological warfare designed to save The Weasel money and add to his profits.

Evil, and very wrong.

!Retired!

Isn't it ironic that the issue was couriers who intentionally work slow in order to pad their paychecks? Try and keep up.
Just curious. If DRA gives you, let's say, 100 stops and says your RTB time is 3:30. You know you can do it all and be back by 2:00. Yet, you slow down a bit because your electric bill is higher than normal and can use the extra hour, and you get back at 2:55, is that stealing time?
What couriers? Who?

Prove it.

Need names or it's just hearsay.
Thanks for posting that. I haven't laughed at a post so hard in a while.