New job at ups

jprinzz

So I am just wondering how I can find out my hubs seniority list in depth. I start Monday in the hub and was wondering that it must be a good time where I am to shoot for the driver position. They are doubling the ups center in size. So is there a way to find out where seniority is?

I came from oilfield/ refinery work. I left a job making good money but I am tired of chasing it. Making it to pck car driver seems like a good career maybe. (Some people think I'm crazy.)

Billy Ray

God, help us all.....
So I am just wondering how I can find out my hubs seniority list in depth. I start Monday in the hub and was wondering that it must be a good time where I am to shoot for the driver position. They are doubling the ups center in size. So is there a way to find out where seniority is?

I came from oilfield/ refinery work. I left a job making good money but I am tired of chasing it. Making it to pck car driver seems like a good career maybe. (Some people think I'm crazy.)

How old are you now?
How long do you expect to drive?

jprinzz

How old are you now?
How long do you expect to drive?
I am 27. I got some experience driving 18 wheelers hauling equipment (have a Cdl) . Not that it matters. It's just finding a consistent job. Nothing like being in an industry where u gotta chase it depending on commodity prices

Billy Ray

God, help us all.....
I am 27. I got some experience driving 18 wheelers hauling equipment . Not that it matters. It's just finding a consistent job. Nothing like being in an industry where u gotta chase it depending on commodity prices

How long would you expect to drive package?

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

I am 27. I got some experience driving 18 wheelers hauling equipment . Not that it matters. It's just finding a consistent job. Nothing like being in an industry where u gotta chase it depending on commodity prices

While we don't have anywhere near the volatility of the oil industry, our staffing is volume dependent.

Billy Ray

God, help us all.....
I'm not sure but if it tops out in 3 yrs at 33 an hour . I'd say id do it for the long term. Plus from what I gather y'all get lots of overtime. Which is great. If I can make descent money

The wait time to become a driver is a big uncertainty; but you are still relatively young.

This job has a way of beating you down, and a 30 year pkg. career will be extremely tough. They keep adding more layers of responsibility, more restrictions on what you can and cannot do, and always more stops.

The cubic size and weight of the pkgs. we handle now is absurd when compared to 20-25 years ago.

jprinzz

The wait time to become a driver is a big uncertainty; but you are still relatively young.

This job has a way of beating you down, and a 30 year pkg. career will be extremely tough. They keep adding more layers of responsibility, more restrictions on what you can and cannot do, and always more stops.

The cubic size and weight of the pkgs. we handle now is absurd when compared to 20-25 years ago.
I understand. I gurantee the oil industry isn't either tho. Iv seen 60 year old on old Kelly rigs still slinging chain to make up a connection. So the hard work I think I can handle. My hub here in Tx is under construction. And doubling in size. So I just hope I can get in faster.

Billy Ray

God, help us all.....
I understand. I gurantee the oil industry isn't either tho. Iv seen 60 year old on old Kelly rigs still slinging chain to make up a connection. So the hard work I think I can handle. My hub here in Tx is under construction. And doubling in size. So I just hope I can get in faster.

Talk to some of the pkg. drivers there and ask for their feedback. Just make sure you know what you are getting into. The work is not just physical; big portion of what you do is time management, which creates stress.

Cementups

Box Monkey
The driver rate varies but only by pennies. As of tomorrow our rate in Central PA is $34.80 but there are other areas that make a few pennies more and others that make a few pennies less.