New job at ups

jprinzz

So how do they fix such a problem tho? or is it kinda like social security the deficit never gets fixed?
or maybe it varies depending on when people retire? I know very little about your union. Its why some of these questions may seem very green to you.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

You don't need to have any knowledge about our union to understand what an underfunded pension is.

Lets's use oil as an example. Life was good when oil was selling at $120/barrel. Life was not quite so good when it dipped below $30/bbl.

jprinzz

You don't need to have any knowledge about our union to understand what an underfunded pension is.

Lets's use oil as an example. Life was good when oil was selling at $120/barrel. Life was not quite so good when it dipped below $30/bbl.
Right I get that its common sense to some. However first off pensions are not heard of to much down south here in texas. Underfunded says it all but I wanted to know more of the specifics from your own mouth. When a pension is underfunded does that vary by hub or what?

Turdferguson

Just a turd
Right well. The average time at my center is said to be around 1 year right now. Not only that the center is doubling in size (already under construction). The hub is in san antonio and they are doubling in size due to a amazon hub here. So that being said I figured it would just be a good time to maybe speed up the process of getting into a package car. You are right I have not done it, however working in the oilfield is equally as physical if not more actually. To me a job is a job I have yet to find the holy grail of jobs.

Heres a link to why it sounds like it would be a prime time to try and become a package car driver.

UPS Expands Operations At San Antonio Facility

(As for maninbrown your sarcasm is rather lame. You can do better.)
The expansion has little to do with package car opportunity. It has more to do with package volume and inside operations

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

The pensions administered by the company are in great shape. It is the multi-employer Teamster pension funds that are hurting.

In a nutshell, there are more retirees than actives, which means more money going out than coming in.

How do we fix it? The ideal would be for the company to buy their way out if the troubled plans and add us to their plan. The reality is that this is not very likely and the only way to save our our pensions is to reduce our monthly payments.

OrioN

double tap o da horn dooshbag
apply to that particular hub as a driver then... skip the waiting period if you wanna be a feeder driver or package car driver. If management is smart in that hub, they should be lookiing for drivers NOW to have enough time to screen/background check, goto Integrad school to weed out the weak-minded, and set them up to be ready

if they're doing that, job ads should be available to get on board behind the wheel, not stuck in a warehouse humping boxes

good luck. in my area the A-zon distribution centers hired local subcontractors to shuttle their bulk parcels to the local post offices, skipping UPS/Fedex

jprinzz

apply to that particular hub as a driver then... skip the waiting period if you wanna be a feeder driver or package car driver. If management is smart in that hub, they should be lookiing for drivers NOW to have enough time to screen/background check, goto Integrad school to weed out the weak-minded, and set them up to be ready

if they're doing that, job ads should be available to get on board behind the wheel, not stuck in a warehouse humping boxes

good luck. in my area the A-zon distribution centers hired local subcontractors to shuttle their bulk parcels to the local post offices, skipping UPS/Fedex

Well the expansion wont be ready until this time next year. I should see them start posting driver positions now then? Sad thing is I started humping boxes yesterday so it may be to late for that now. ;/

3 done 3 to go

In control of own destiny
Well the expansion wont be ready until this time next year. I should see them start posting driver positions now then? Sad thing is I started humping boxes yesterday so it may be to late for that now. ;/

Not really. Got your foot in the door. Now you just need to wait for an opportunity to hop in

jprinzz

So how bad is delivering all those packages really? Some people in the hub make it sound easy and others make the place sound like hell. I know from humping packages most of the people in the hub are very negative lol.

Furthermore I was curious in knowing how hard the class is to become a driver now? This guy today was making it sound super hard. I was just wondering cause drivers tend to make it sound as if it wasnt to bad to learn to be a pck car driver.