New lady UPSer

*Jersey*

Hi there! I've been reading through the forums for a few weeks now as I was entertaining UPS and FedEx as potential job options. I was previously at Amazon and it, to me, was exhausting (12hr days) and the people made my experience even worse. Today was my first day at UPS and while it was of course physically demanding, I had a much better time. Listening to music really helped.
..the dudes Im training with were completely immature and had our supervisor explaining the hours for over an hour...asking if they could be late...etc etc...(like why are you worried about being late on your first day?!)..but other than that everyone was nice. A female sup came in and basically gave me a pep talk which I didn't really need but it was nice to have someone motivate me to do great there.
But I do have a question. It was time to go on the floor and they split the group up..some went to the finger, some to another spot I can't recall the name of and then the rest in small sort. The female sup called small sort the "primadonna" area and said she hated it. Well that's where I ended up and initially I was putting small parcels and envelopes into bags, putting the sticks on..you know then they took me up to this area where I literally threw boxes for two hours for the sorters to sort. It was kinda hectic for a while but very doable. So my question is, how do they put folks where they put them? Can they look at you and make an assessment or do they put you everywhere until they see you work well somewhere? I'm not a small woman by anymeans. 5'10, 180..so I was surprised I guess when I was put up there. Sorry so long winded, and thanks for any reply!

By The Book

Hi there! I've been reading through the forums for a few weeks now as I was entertaining UPS and FedEx as potential job options. I was previously at Amazon and it, to me, was exhausting (12hr days) and the people made my experience even worse. Today was my first day at UPS and while it was of course physically demanding, I had a much better time. Listening to music really helped.
..the dudes Im training with were completely immature and had our supervisor explaining the hours for over an hour...asking if they could be late...etc etc...(like why are you worried about being late on your first day?!)..but other than that everyone was nice. A female sup came in and basically gave me a pep talk which I didn't really need but it was nice to have someone motivate me to do great there.
But I do have a question. It was time to go on the floor and they split the group up..some went to the finger, some to another spot I can't recall the name of and then the rest in small sort. The female sup called small sort the "primadonna" area and said she hated it. Well that's where I ended up and initially I was putting small parcels and envelopes into bags, putting the sticks on..you know then they took me up to this area where I literally threw boxes for two hours for the sorters to sort. It was kinda hectic for a while but very doable. So my question is, how do they put folks where they put them? Can they look at you and make an assessment or do they put you everywhere until they see you work well somewhere? I'm not a small woman by anymeans. 5'10, 180..so I was surprised I guess when I was put up there. Sorry so long winded, and thanks for any reply!
I was wondering where my wife went today...

burrheadd

KING Of GIFS

They carefully analyze each situation mayb a Rorschach's test could be a brain scan or maybe they have you touch the Ouija board

Good luck

*Jersey*

If I have something else to say I won't be afraid to post it, just like you won't be afraid to continue to be rude and snarky. I just wanted to talk about my first day of work but you saw some cleavage and decided to make me feel like crap about it. Its okay. That's how the world works, I just gotta deal with it.

burrheadd

KING Of GIFS
If I have something else to say I won't be afraid to post it, just like you won't be afraid to continue to be rude and snarky. I just wanted to talk about my first day of work but you saw some cleavage and decided to make me feel like crap about it. Its okay. That's how the world works, I just gotta deal with it.

Cleavage What!!
Damn I missed it

oldngray

nowhere special
They can put you wherever they need someone. Gender or physical size isn't supposed to matter but amazingly enough more women do end up in small sort which is one of the easiest jobs. Just work as directed wherever they send you.

*Jersey*

Okay.. so even if I looked like or even was a meth head why be a dick about it? Someone trying to better themselves and work is wonderful regardless. You made a judgment on a heavily filtered picture. I assumed attacking people wasn't tolerated here but I guess not.