New Lap Top computer

DownsizedUPS'er

missing my UPS family
What do you plan on doing with the laptop?

I just bought a new laptop last sunday. It's a Toshiba. It cost $400 at Best Buy (on sale yesterday for $379). It has 1 gig memory, a 2.16 ghz intel centrino processor, a 160 gig hard drive, standard dvd/cd write and rewrite, utilizes wireless, but has no blue tooth capability. It doesn't have any major bells and whistles, but all I needed it for was internet access , pictures, music and maybe editing videos. This laptop was cheap but it's good enough for what I plan on doing and I am very satisfied with it so far.

My other computer is a Sony UMPC (UX280P). It's tiny, but very portable. I have never had any problems with it. The only negative for me was it wouldn't display Brown Cafe properly. The screen size was either too small to read comfortably or it wouldn't "word wrap" and I was constantly having to scroll to the right to read posts. It works fine when I connect it to a 19" monitor.

As far as Dell, I couldn't bring myself to buy one. Maybe because I have had to handle so many of them over the last few years.

HP is a brand I boycot simply because one of UPS's board of directors is from HP.

i just like lap tops better then desk tops. i bring my lap top with me when we go on vacation so keep watch of stocks etc. i like being able to sit on my couch and use the computer. if i have to go ovet to my brothers and babysit his kids, i bring the computer. they are just better for me. but my husband has a desk top, so they are both available.

trickpony1

dilli-
I tried to get in the chat room while you were in it but I got an error message.
Is anyone else having problems getting into chat?
Maybe I've been exiled from the chat room and don't even know it??

Back to the thread.

dilligaf

IN VINO VERITAS
dilli-
I tried to get in the chat room while you were in it but I got an error message.
Is anyone else having problems getting into chat?
Maybe I've been exiled from the chat room and don't even know it??

Back to the thread.
That's funny. I popped in to visit with Big. Was in for all of 2 secs. I haven't had any problem with the chat.

moreluck

golden ticket member
My significant other is looking around for an XPS12 Dell.

It's a pain in the arse run around to try to buy this laptop/tablet thingy.

He's the type of shopper that wants to see it, feel it and maybe play around before buying. (shut up ) Supposedly Staples or Office Depot or stores like that carry Dell, but not this particular product.

So he was online at the Dell site.......they listed Showcases where just Dell is sold also. Mostly listed as kiosks in malls. There were only 2 listed within 40 mi. of us.......Oceanside & Santa Ana . He called both of those telephone numbers.......no sense driving that far and having it be closed up......and they rang & rang and then just cut off.

So he contacted someone who works for Dell.......he said they no longer have kiosks in those 2 places. Their site does not reflect that info. So are they very good with computer crap if they don't even mind their page?

He went on chat and the guys (Dell wokers) on there were still referring him to these non-existant kiosks.

He told me on the side that he was talking with some guy with an Indian accent.

I told him if he's frustrated with the process of trying to buy Dell ask for someone in the U.S. to speak with.

There are none according to the Indian guy.

No sale for Dell.........and I figured I'd spread the word. If that's how you are treated when you just want to buy.....imagine the custome service?!!!

Jones

fILE A GRIEVE!
Staff member
I'm a big fan of Dell's outlet store, never had a problem with it. You can generally find a coupon for an additional 15-20% off stuff that's already discounted.

scratch

Least Best Moderator
Staff member
Best Buys carries Dell, I don't know about that particular model. A lot of people go to Best Buys to look at something and then go shopping on the internet to buy it cheaper.

Best Buys carries Dell, I don't know about that particular model. A lot of people go to Best Buys to look at something and then go shopping on the internet to buy it cheaper.

Which is why Best Buy is on its last legs as a retailer.

Ive been overjoyed with my iPad. I can do everything on it I used to do with my laptop and it is touchscreen and synced to my iTunes. I picked mine up refurnished from apple at the advice of the sales lady on the phone. They have a new screen and case, new battery, have been repaired if needed, and carry the full new warranty. Toss on an extended warranty and still be 30% ahead.

old brown shoe

30 year driver
Love my Dell XPS laptop ordered it with lots of extras to stay ahead of the game for awhile. Have had it over a year with no problems. Love the wireless so it can go anywhere in the house or out on the deck on nice days.

BSWALKS

Fugitive From Reality
Which is why Best Buy is on its last legs as a retailer.

Ive been overjoyed with my iPad. I can do everything on it I used to do with my laptop and it is touchscreen and synced to my iTunes. I picked mine up refurnished from apple at the advice of the sales lady on the phone. They have a new screen and case, new battery, have been repaired if needed, and carry the full new warranty. Toss on an extended warranty and still be 30% ahead.
Santa gave my wife an iPad for Christmas. I let her use it occasionally. I love this thing!

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

...hence the reason for their financial difficulties...

I love Dell products both my kids both swear by hp.

cach, I also have a refurbished iPad and love it.