New loader help/ tips

The_Gamer

Hi, I am a fairly new loader and I seem to be having concerns with my work. My PPH is around 270 but that is best reached when I have someone in the truck helping me or the equipment in the truck is a certain way. I seem to be having issues making "good walls". The problem is I'm trying to get a fast pph and my walls are crappy, or I'm trying to make the perfect wall and limit my PPH. I have had a similar job that required a lot of lifting stuff. Another problem I seem to have is figuring out how to make a wall out of small packages when that's all I have. Thanks for any help or advice.

TooTechie

Geek in Brown
To make seniority your walls dont have to be pretty but your pph has to be decent. Try working quickly but try not to make columns or chimneys. If you see the columns starting try to throw a box across them to make a natural T. Eventually youll get it

sortaisle

Livin the cardboard dream
Don't make your tiers too big. I know some people who have 3 ft. deep tiers. That's simply way too much. A foot in a half...two ft. at most is optimum. When you look at the slide, you'll notice after a bit packages that are similar in size and shape. Try to get good at keeping those together as a shelf. Small packages are backfill...bags are backfill and top of the tier type stuff...It'll come with some more time.

PiedmontSteward

RTW-4-Less
Hi, I am a fairly new loader and I seem to be having concerns with my work. My PPH is around 270 but that is best reached when I have someone in the truck helping me or the equipment in the truck is a certain way. I seem to be having issues making "good walls". The problem is I'm trying to get a fast pph and my walls are crappy, or I'm trying to make the perfect wall and limit my PPH. I have had a similar job that required a lot of lifting stuff. Another problem I seem to have is figuring out how to make a wall out of small packages when that's all I have. Thanks for any help or advice.

If you've got 3 weeks in, you're more than half way to making book (attaining seniority). After that, **** PPH and just build good walls. When they complain, tell them it's not a production job.

Continue pretending to give a **** until then. UPS rewards hard work with more hard work.

Welcome to BrownCafe and sign a union card if you're in a RTW state - you'll thank me later.

Seahawks17

Don't worry about pph, just build good walls. I remember being nervous when I first started loading and worrying about pph, it's just a tactic by management to get you to work even harder and then guess what they reward you with, even more work! I've been loading for 2 years now, trust me it gets easier as you go on. Always put small boxes behind your wall and bags as well. I learned to eventually put bags in my wall, but it takes a bit to get used to doing that.

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.

If you've got 3 weeks in, you're more than half way to making book (attaining seniority). After that, **** PPH and just build good walls. When they complain, tell them it's not a production job.

Continue pretending to give a **** until then. UPS rewards hard work with more hard work.

Welcome to BrownCafe and sign a union card if you're in a RTW state - you'll thank me later.

Bingo hit day 31 and never worry about PPH again.

Notcool

After you saw your first pay check with no insurance for a year and who knows after this next contract. I cant see why anyone would even start here

The_Gamer

I guess the biggest issue I have is starting a new truck with small packages and making a wall out of them. If its big packages then I don't really have any issues. My load quality is not that great but it just seems hard working with the smalls in a new truck.

DiligentUPSer

Your load quality will come with experience, especially since it seems like you care. PPH is a big deception for a newbie. Trainers/Supes will tell you that that you should be at 400/500 PPH, but that's not possible unless you're in one of/ the largest load in your area (which you would not be three weeks in). Realistically, a pph above 275-300 cannot be expected in a beginner's load assignment, although they'll probably let you know you're not doing enough. Also, when you're sorting out irregs, tending to the missort chute, or breaking jams for a busier co-worker, you're helping the area in a huge way that your PPH will not show (and of course UPS will not take that into consideration -- they'll just tell you you need to do more). Anyways, good luck. You seem like you care about your performance so you will be just fine without question.

The_Gamer

Pressure became to hard to take and it seemed the cons outweighed the pros of working at my location, so I decided it wasn't the job for me. Thank you all for the help.

DriveInDriveOut

Inordinately Right
Pressure became to hard to take and it seemed the cons outweighed the pros of working at my location, so I decided it wasn't the job for me. Thank you all for the help.

Not the first won't be the last. New hires always ask me if I like my job. I say not most days but I like Having a job. Sometimes I think people just don't understand how rare a good union job is these days.

Good luck out there man I wish the best for you.

blue efficacy

Not the first won't be the last. New hires always ask me if I like my job. I say not most days but I like Having a job. Sometimes I think people just don't understand how rare a good union job is these days.

Good luck out there man I wish the best for you.
The union has helped make it NOT a good job for part timers.

DriveInDriveOut

Inordinately Right
The union has helped make it NOT a good job for part timers.

I'm a part timer, and I worked at fed ex ground before I worked at UPS. You don't want to work there trust me.

The union is the only reason we have it as good as we do. I'm not saying they have done enough for us(far from it), but it would be much worse if UPS didn't have the union standing in their way.

This conversation is pointless though he didn't even make his thirty days.