New Look

cheryl

I started this.
Staff member
Okay... some of the issues in this thread have been fixed. The following are ongoing:

So far I like it. It is going to take a little getting used to. I do have a question Cheryl. While you are doing this is there some way we can set our own individual fonts so that they automaitcally go to that for posts?
I looked through the controls and didn't see anything that indicates that they added that functionality. The one thing that I miss is that we used to have more controls available in quick reply. I'm hoping for a modification that will put those back in again.

I just left chat. I was able to talk to tony but not klein or feths. Also, there was an entity called undefined posting sporadically but he was not to be found listed as an occupant in the chatroom. Was this a visitation like the one in the immortal "flatlands"? Was undefined the GREAT UNDEFINED ONE? Am I his messenger? ????

If Chat stands the way it is, it will be like a box of chocolates, you never know what you are going to get until you jump in. Before, you could see who was in there and you could decide if you were going to join or hide from someone. Now, it is potluck
The chat room list was a modification that I found on vbulletin.org. As soon as one of the coders posts it for this version I'll install it.

Testing the video imbedding. :wink2:
One thing I noticed is that you can't post a pic or video without included some text in the post. Otherwise, you get a error message saying the post is to short.

I also cannot upload any new avatars.
Moreluck complained about that too. The text required when posting a video or pic is a bug that's included in the developer's bug fix list. That release is scheduled for 2/4 so we will have to wait a few days for that one to be fixed.

OK, I admit to being old and slow. How the heck do you get into the chat room and do you have to enter it before you know who is in there?:peaceful:
I agree and I'm hoping someone will write that modification ASAP.

I would like to the see the subjects in bold rather than the user. Normally the interest of what's posted makes you want to reply positively or negatively.
The thread titles are in bold if there are new posts.

Works now.

I miss being able to mark individual forums as "Read". Am I missing something, or is the only option "Mark All Forums Read"?

P.S. Appreciate all the hard work Cheryl. I'm sure that migrating all the old data into the new upgrade was a PIA.
I can't find that either. It looks like they didn't port that function over to this version. If that modification is posted I'll install it.

vBulletin is very good forum software,but correct me if I'm wrong Cheryl don't you have to pay to use it? Was the old software free?
We've been using vbulletin for several years. Our last version was 3.8 which was the end of the line for version 3. This is their new version 4 CMS. No, it's not free.

This is what the home page looks like on my PC. Does anyone know how to correct.

View attachment 3688
Holy cow! I've been working on that design for a couple of days. I hope it doesn't look like that now!

I wish that when there is more then one page to a thread, the 'puter would go to page two automatiacly
Sounds like a great idea. If I see that modification I'll install it.

Looks like we can't put smiley faces and stuff in the chat.......
hmmmm, try it now.

There are just some things that were better the other way. When posting you used to go directly to advanced (to change font and pick color) now I have to click on advanced.
I liked that way better too. If someone writes a mod to switch it back I'll install it.

I find this new look so distracting I don't even know if I want to participate anymore. Maybe that's just an extreme first reaction. In any event, it is going to take me awhile to adjust.

I just don't understand why there is always this need to change things that seemed to be working fine in the first place.
Sorry for the disruption, I don't like stuff like this either. It keeps me up at night. That's whay I'm sitting here at 4 in the morning typing this post.

UPS Links to related sites like UPSers.com?
There are a few pages that still need to be put together, like a links page.

Or is it just me? :peaceful:
uuuggghhh, that looks like a css problem and I suck at css. There's a bug fix version that's due out on 2/4 and a few of the bugs are css related. Hopefully that's one of them.

Cheryl, I found another oddity in the new format. Every once in awhile if I go through my contact pop-up to PM it will log me out. I've tried it a few different times, it seems to be intermittant, but it has happened more than once.
That happened to Tony too. Please try clearing your browser cache.

Where did the UPS Teamster contract link disappear to? It no longer shows if you are online with a green light under your avatar.
I still have to put the contract page together. It will take a day or two more.

Being the sarcastic smart ass that I am, I just tried to post a kool aid picture as a response on the Current Affairs section and it said my post was too short. So I had to add some words to it to pass inspection. The picture was worth any amount of words I could add.....oh well!
Annoying, I agree. I don't know that I can fix this, but I'll try.

I don't like it.................................yet. I hate new things that need to be figured out, but then I get used to them. Is there a way I can use the old format for a limited time till I get used to this one?

What's the deal with the posts coming out as one long letter by letter vertical mess? Is that just a bug, because it's really bugging me. Maybe if I go to sleep and wake up, this will all have been a dream. Goodnight all!
I agree, I don't like to have to change all this either. And after this is done I get to do 3 more sites... I haven't seen any long vertical messes but css makes things look different on every computer configuration. It's probably something that's not working for your screen resolution or browser. What's your screen resolution and what browser are you using?

I have to say that I agree. This is frustrating, the long lined post.
Does it look too long horizontally or vertically?

Thank you for your patience everyone. :peaceful:

dilligaf

IN VINO VERITAS
Thanks Cheryl. For all the responses. I no longer see the vertical posts so hopefully that has been resolved. I will clear my browser and see if that helps the log off problem but it did do it again this morning. I run Iolo on my computer all the time.

I do have another question. Are you going to do a second color scheme like before?

over9five

Staff member
Works now.

I miss being able to mark individual forums as "Read". Am I missing something, or is the only option "Mark All Forums Read"?

P.S. Appreciate all the hard work Cheryl. I'm sure that migrating all the old data into the new upgrade was a PIA.

"Forum tools" then "mark this forum as read"

JimJimmyJames

Big Time Feeder Driver
Sorry for the disruption, I don't like stuff like this either. It keeps me up at night. That's whay I'm sitting here at 4 in the morning typing this post.

I'm grateful for anything Cheryl and tony do here...

I should have added this to my post as well. Even though I am not thrilled with this change, I do appreciate the effort.

I also appreciate that the forum even exists :) After all, I do need someplace online to do my bitching, hehe.

cheryl

I started this.
Staff member
Thanks Cheryl. For all the responses. I no longer see the vertical posts so hopefully that has been resolved. I will clear my browser and see if that helps the log off problem but it did do it again this morning. I run Iolo on my computer all the time.

I do have another question. Are you going to do a second color scheme like before?
I don't know what Iolo does so I'm not sure if that's a factor or not. Tony is using an older computer and he never remembers to clear his cache so whenever anything gets wonky that's whay I always tell him to do. It usually works :)

Absolutely, I want to add at least one more skin and hope to get one for phones too. This style looks a little wonky when I browse here on Tony's phone. There's still a lot to do here. It will probably take me a week or maybe 2 to get everything fine tuned.

Dizzee

ɹǝqɯǝɯ ɹoıuǝs
Are you going to do a second color scheme like before?

Absolutely, I want to add at least one more skin and hope to get one for phones too. This style looks a little wonky when I browse here on Tony's phone. There's still a lot to do here. It will probably take me a week or maybe 2 to get everything fine tuned.

I'm a fan of one color scheme. It helps with the "illusion" of some graphics. With one color scheme, I know everyone sees the same thing.:wink2:

705red

Browncafe Steward
Many forums that I go to also allow you to contribute to the site. Contributors all have tags that say they are a site sponsor. Some offer different levels, $20, $50 and $100 a year. A lot of these sites do not even have a site as good as this one, like tnet for instance, trcukingboards etc. I would be willing to make a yearly donation in order to better this site.

dilligaf

IN VINO VERITAS
Cheryl, I found another oddity in the new format. Every once in awhile if I go through my contact pop-up to PM it will log me out. I've tried it a few different times, it seems to be intermittant, but it has happened more than once.
Iolo is a system mechanic that cleans and organizes registries, dumps temporary internet files, repairs hard drive problems and kills spyware. I have run this for about 6 mos now. It makes the computer run smoother and faster. It runs everyday.

As far as the other problem I quoted above it happened again just a few minutes ago. It seems to do it only when I open contacts pop-up. It had never done it before.

cheryl

I started this.
Staff member
OK, I admit to being old and slow. How the heck do you get into the chat room and do you have to enter it before you know who is in there?:peaceful:
We will have to scroll down to the bottom of the main forum page but there is now a list of who is in the chat room listed there. I found it more convenient when it was up at the top of the page but this will have to do until some posts a different modification.
Iolo is a system mechanic that cleans and organizes registries, dumps temporary internet files, repairs hard drive problems and kills spyware. I have run this for about 6 mos now. It makes the computer run smoother and faster. It runs everyday.

As far as the other problem I quoted above it happened again just a few minutes ago. It seems to do it only when I open contacts pop-up. It had never done it before.
What browser are you using Dilli? I'll check the bug fix list for the next release. They have a new version with over 100 bug fixes due to be released on 2/4.

cheryl

I started this.
Staff member
Many forums that I go to also allow you to contribute to the site. Contributors all have tags that say they are a site sponsor. Some offer different levels, $20, $50 and $100 a year. A lot of these sites do not even have a site as good as this one, like tnet for instance, trcukingboards etc. I would be willing to make a yearly donation in order to better this site.
I'd never ask for donations but I really do appreciate your intentions, thank you :)

If you want to support the site find some ads that you are interested in and click one them, we do get paid by the advertisers. I still find it amazing to come here and see a few hundred people online checking out the site. Somehow that's a lot more gratifying than a little money. Thank you for using the browncafe!

dilligaf

IN VINO VERITAS
We will have to scroll down to the bottom of the main forum page but there is now a list of who is in the chat room listed there. I found it more convenient when it was up at the top of the page but this will have to do until some posts a different modification.
What browser are you using Dilli? I'll check the bug fix list for the next release. They have a new version with over 100 bug fixes due to be released on 2/4.
I am using IE. I have always used IE.

P

pickup

Nitpicking question: on the top of this page, you can find "Home" , "Forum" , "Blogs" , etc. Why is "Forum" singular when there are many forums. "Blogs" is plural because there are multiple blogs but "forum" is singular even though there are multiple forums. Like I stated before, nitpicking.

cheryl

I started this.
Staff member
In the past I used forums as the directory name which irritated a few people that believe that the plural of forum is fora.

Now I totally avoid the both forums and fora just label it forum. It's just easier that way...