New Manager, new time allowance

brownmonster

Man of Great Wisdom
The problem with this theory is we didn't have to write down tracking numbers. Only six digit shipper numbers and id's. If you had 10 pkgs from the same shipper you didn't even have to sheet the shipper number of the other 9 pkgs. There is no way this process took 6 seconds longer per pkg. On single piece stops you would record the shipper number as you were walking to the stop much like you scan it now. And when 5.8 was implemented the 100 piece driver lost 10 minutes and the bulked out 400 piece driver lost 40 minutes. Does that seem fair?

BigBrownSanta

Another problem with this theory (not to take anything away from P-man's post) is that we would have to believe that the tightwad IE dept. actually allowed the excess 6 seconds per package to remain for over 10 years before "correcting" it.

That takes one he**uva leap of faith to believe.

705red

Browncafe Steward
Here is what they did.

The computer can look at packages that are already in the preload, OR it can look at packages already in the preload plus PLD that is not yet here.

If the route changed from Red to Yelow, (or Grey) he was first looking at packages in the preload PLUS packages that have not yet arrived. He then switched to look only at packages only in the preload.

The correct method is that at the beginning of the sort, they look at the PLD forecast PLUS packages in the preload. This gives an idea of how routes will look at the end of the sort.

About an hour to 1/2 hour before the preload goes down, they are supposed to switch the view to only show packages already in the preload. This give a more accurate picture of what is really here. The PLD is generally high.

He didn't manipulat the numbers, he followed methods.

Of course it would have been better if he explained this to you. Tomorrow, take a look at the screen prompts and it may be more clear.

P-Man
Or he just changed the minimum maximum stops counts which also would change the screen from red!

pretzel_man

Or he just changed the minimum maximum stops counts which also would change the screen from red!

I'm not sure he has that capability in DMS. Its been a while since I was trained, but I used to use it a lot.

I don't recall being taught to change min-max in DMS.

The planning system (DPS) can do that, but the post was about the preload, and that toll is DMS.

If someone knows better than me, I'll stand corrected.

P-Man

pretzel_man

Another problem with this theory (not to take anything away from P-man's post) is that we would have to believe that the tightwad IE dept. actually allowed the excess 6 seconds per package to remain for over 10 years before "correcting" it.

That takes one he**uva leap of faith to believe.

Santa,

I know for a fact that that's what happened. I was in some of the meetings both before and after.

As I said it was a very poor decision.

P-Man

705red

Browncafe Steward
The route stops change from day to day. On my old route one day 155 would be red and the next 170 would not be. Not sure if that is the same system and this thread is over a year old so i did not go and reread everything that was posted.

pretzel_man

The route stops change from day to day. On my old route one day 155 would be red and the next 170 would not be. Not sure if that is the same system and this thread is over a year old so i did not go and reread everything that was posted.

Red,

What you say is true, but the preload does not have any control over it.

Here is how it works:

In DPS (the planning system) they dispatch work to your car. The dispatch is based on history.

In DPS, they put in a target dispatch for you, as well as a range for min / max. For instance, they may say 9.15 hours target +- .2. That means your acceptable range is between 8.95 and 9.35.

Based on where the stops fell in history and your pickup route, they calculate how many delivery stops would make up 8.95 and 9.35 hours. Its important to note that the target is PAID day, not PLANNED day.

The target stops for min and max (as well as the number of air stops planned) is sent to the preload system (DMS).

Because the planning system can have different history on different days and because they may have a different target for you in the plan, the preload can see a different number for min/max stops.

I am not aware that this can be changed in the preload. Only in the planning system.

P-Man

BigBrownSanta

Santa,

I know for a fact that that's what happened. I was in some of the meetings both before and after.

As I said it was a very poor decision.

P-Man

As I have said before, I find more truth in your posts than in most other people's posts, so therefore, I have no reason to dispute you on this. You say you were there, I believe you.

The irony of the decision, based on how IE is perceived and the length of time before they corrected the problem, is what makes it so unbelievable to me.

I also agree, it was a poor decision made at a poor time.

pretzel_man

As I have said before, I find more truth in your posts than in most other people's posts, so therefore, I have no reason to dispute you on this. You say you were there, I believe you.

The irony of the decision, based on how IE is perceived and the length of time before they corrected the problem, is what makes it so unbelievable to me.

I also agree, it was a poor decision made at a poor time.

I understand why you would have the perception. The reason for waiting was a very, very poor one.

I heard that reason first hand long before PAS and EDD existed.

It didn't make me proud.

P-Man

I understand why you would have the perception. The reason for waiting was a very, very poor one.

I heard that reason first hand long before PAS and EDD existed.

It didn't make me proud.

P-Man
The only thing I find hard to believe about the story is that IE was afraid to lower anyones numbers. LOL, they seem to really get off on that.
even though you didn't use any actual dates, it wouldn't matter because I wouldn't be able to remember when our allowances changed. But I do remember that within a year of us going on DIAD, they dropped our allowances because we didn't have to write down the tracking numbers anymore. Then, a couple of years later they lowered the numbers again (effecting every rte) saying they were removing the multiple package allowance for bulk stops. The more packages you delivered (to bulk stops) the more time you lost. THEN about a year ago they lowered them yet again saying they never decreased the allowances the first time. BTW, I wasn't the only one that remembered the first deduction.
We were way behind the rest of the country getting on the DIAD, many centers across the country were already on DIAD II before we ever started with DIAD I. And we did write down the whole tracking number on every package for more than a year before that.

pretzel_man

The only thing I find hard to believe about the story is that IE was afraid to lower anyones numbers. LOL, they seem to really get off on that.

I understand your perspective, but its true that they didn't want to lower the allowances. I heard it first hand.

P-Man

705red

Browncafe Steward
stop count at my center is crazy 150 plus that is insane and the union does not do a thing.
Great just what this site needs! Another driver that has had a contract negotiated on his behalf, giving him the tools that he needs to lower his day, yet he complains that the union isn't doing anything!

How about you filing a 9.5! How about you requesting your two 8 hour requests monthly! The union cant force you to grow a set and the union cant file that grievance without you!

tieguy

Banned
Come on, If you think they can't change allowances then you've been drinking too much brown cool aid. They can change lots of time allowances that affect your plan day without changing your piece allowance and thus they can still say they didn't personally change anything. For example: several years back they announced that they forgot to take back the time we gained from paper to diad and we would all be losing a half hour aday time allowances...several years later I've lost 1.5 hours for the same thing (same route) I've always done for 16 years...I've got reports from a IE that proves it...

wondering who dragged this thread up from the grave.