New Member with two related questions.

jaker

trolling
First off you are a 20 year pkg driver and you have no idea what to do

As far as the guys working In their truck in the morning I could really care less about it

As for getting you diad that is your choice really , you can get all the small stuff done in the morning before PCM or do it after PCM that is your choice

So you real issue you have is drivers working in their trucks in the morning so go talk to your steward ( if you know you that person is if not ask one of those other guys who the person is ) and tell him what you see and to help fix it

P.S still a little drunk from last night so I really don't know how this post turned out HAPPY NEW YEAR

StongUPSThroughCompliance

20 Year Package Car Driver
I know I can grieve. I know I can call the UPS helpline and file a report. Extreme case I could contact a lawyer and file suit against UPS just like the workers at Tyson. Just looking for a fresh outlook.

jaker

trolling
20 years, yes. What to do? There are several options so I figured I would run it by other long time UPS guys. Just looking for some opinions.
Well if you know you can grieve then file or get some balls and walk up to the drivers and ask why they are doing it

There could be chance that they didnt know it wasn't right to work on your load before work

oldngray

nowhere special
I tell them that all the time. They just shrug me off which makes me want to punch them in the face. They also don't realize when they call out or go on vacation they totally screw the guy covering their routes since their load isn't all fluffed up in the morning.

That goes both ways. A cover driver can screw the regular route driver by fluffing the route in the morning and skipping breaks. Then when bid driver comes back from vacation his stop count gets jacked up.

bleedinbrown58

That’s Craptacular
Don't work off the clock. If a sup wants to talk to me about anything remotely work-related before my start time....they better let me clock in early.

over9five

Staff member
I know I can grieve. I know I can call the UPS helpline and file a report. Extreme case I could contact a lawyer and file suit against UPS just like the workers at Tyson. Just looking for a fresh outlook.
You're overthinking this. You're not going to call the HelpLine, and you're not going to call a lawyer.
Work with the Union to fix this. Start with your steward, then your BA, then call the local President.

PS, nice job on your part recognizing this problem, and wanting to get it fixed!

Our start time is 9:40. We are supposed to be ready to go at 9:40. This includes gathering all that we need prior to the PCM. I suppose we could show up at 9:40, spend the next 10 minutes or so getting organized, pull out at 9:50, do our pretrip and get on road by 9:55-10. The air commit is still 10:30---are you willing to deal with late air just to prove a point? If the 10 minutes is that big of a deal you can easily make it up on road at time and a half.

Your start time is 9:40. By definition of "ready to go" that means dressed in uniform for work. Gathering all that you need and PCM can happen at 9:40:01. Then do your pretrip,etc, and hit the road. If that makes it too tight to make air commits them management can make 9:30 your start time to get you back on track. Making air commit because of managements poor choice in start time is not my concern. Telematics will show I drove at the legal speed, arrived and followed all procedures for a delivery attempt, regardless of time.

10 min X 5 days X 52 weeks = $1430

Also , hypothetically, since 9:40 is your start time and you came running in and punched in at 9:39:30 you wouldn't be late but you didn't have the opportunity to "gather" your things until 9:40. What would management do? Take disciplinary action because you weren't ready? Discipline you for not working off the clock?

Jaker, I've talked to almost all the guys I know work early or work through lunch. They say it makes their day easier and shorter. I really don't want to penalize guys with 10 more years than me but realize more routes would have to be put in if this practice were to stop.

This old timer would tell you that you are right but that you should mind your own business.

Old timer might tell him he's right but it's none of the old timers business what a dues paying member feels he needs to do to correct a problem.

He shouldn't do it because he's a junior member?

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
Your start time is 9:40. By definition of "ready to go" that means dressed in uniform for work. Gathering all that you need and PCM can happen at 9:40:01. Then do your pretrip,etc, and hit the road. If that makes it too tight to make air commits them management can make 9:30 your start time to get you back on track. Making air commit because of managements poor choice in start time is not my concern. Telematics will show I drove at the legal speed, arrived and followed all procedures for a delivery attempt, regardless of time.

10 min X 5 days X 52 weeks = $1430

Also , hypothetically, since 9:40 is your start time and you came running in and punched in at 9:39:30 you wouldn't be late but you didn't have the opportunity to "gather" your things until 9:40. What would management do? Take disciplinary action because you weren't ready? Discipline you for not working off the clock?
What is all this gathering our things about? I show up maybe a minute or two before start time. Grab my board and call tags and clock in. Then wait for the PCM to start. What else is their to do?

You're overthinking this. You're not going to call the HelpLine, and you're not going to call a lawyer.
Work with the Union to fix this. Start with your steward, then your BA, then call the local President.

PS, nice job on your part recognizing this problem, and wanting to get it fixed!
I'm definitely not going to call a lawyer. I was just pointing out there are several options. However, I may try the online helpline. I really want to see if I report this to UPS if it will get addressed at the local level.

What is all this gathering our things about? I show up maybe a minute or two before start time. Grab my board and call tags and clock in. Then wait for the PCM to start. What else is their to do?

Question. Do you guys punch in on the Diad now and that's why go get them? I'm a bit out of touch on that.

However, if the Diad is essentially your punch in device then punch in, everything else can wait till 9:40:01.

jaker

trolling
Jaker, I've talked to almost all the guys I know work early or work through lunch. They say it makes their day easier and shorter. I really don't want to penalize guys with 10 more years than me but realize more routes would have to be put in if this practice were to stop.
Then you did what was needed and told them , now you just file and let the union do their part and if you feel strongly about this do not let it get pushed under the rug

I'm definitely not going to call a lawyer. I was just pointing out there are several options. However, I may try the online helpline. I really want to see if I report this to UPS if it will get addressed at the local level.

File a grievance. Some might not like it but frak them as they're not looking out for you in return anyway.