New Member with two related questions.

bleedinbrown58

That’s Craptacular
We have a few drivers who live within 5 miles of the HUB and they are 10-30 minutes LATE every day. Nothing ever said. I was late one day by 5 minutes and was pulled into the office about it. I told them to piss off.
it's the same with preload. Some guy who's been there 6 months can call out three days a month. I bang in once and hear about it.....lol

JL 0513

It's true that generally the drivers that live close are the last to show up. Guys like me who live 50 miles away from the center are 30-45 minutes early partly to leave a time cushion in case of an unexpected traffic problem.

We've talked about this working off the clock thing before of course. I've said in a previous thread that UPS should pay 10-15 minutes for necessary AM tasks. They take just as long, if not longer than PM tasks that we DO get paid for. Why aren't we given time in the AM to do them? If you don't do these tasks before PCM, then you obviously have to do them after which takes time we often don't have. A dozen + 10:30 commits demands you get on the road right away and not sit in the parking lot after your pre-trip for 10 more minutes to do what you need to do.
Asking for 10-15 minutes paid is really just for minimum tasks. I come in 30 minutes early to comfortably get ready for the day. If I don't, then I'd be rushing and stressing out and not have a smooth day. One practice I do is look at all my air stops and get all the grounds situated that go with those air stops. I don't want to visit anywhere twice. Of course, you also want to confirm you have all your NDA in the first place.

104Feeder

Phoenix Feeder
Just joined BrownCafe after exploring it for a couple weeks. I joined today and searched FLSA. Only 4 posts and nothing about Employer being responsible for keeping employees from working off the clock. This is a problem in my hub. Several drivers come in early to set up their trucks and some work through their lunch. Also, a recent case of employees vs Tyson foods was ruled in favor of the employees because gathering tools for work should have been work time. At my hub, UPS expects drivers to get DIAD, sign previous day review paperwork, get call tags, sign call tag sheet, get helper board, etc., etc. and be at PCM at start time. Shouldn't all this be considered work? I'm considering filing a report with the UPS helpline and see if anything changes. Does anyone have any thoughts on this or any experience with reporting to the helpline?

My old copies of the Package Driver Methods actually spell out all the work you are supposed to do prior to punching in, nearly exactly as you describe. I bet the latest versions still say the same thing so I would request that to support your grievance and/or potential lawsuit.

When I was a driver I would not get my DIAD until just prior to start time, usually within a minute or two, which was easy because I would never arrive earlier than about 5 minutes prior to start. I would not download EDD until after the PCM as my center manager was usually very prompt. Any other issues/supply gathering/paperwork had to wait until after that. I bill by the hundred minute for my services.

MAKAVELI

At FedEx Express in CA we had a class action lawsuit years ago regarding this very same issue. The company settled, got a little $ and we now clock in 5 min earlier than start time to get our materials. Sometimes companies will only do the right thing unless there is litigation. At FedEx it's the only time.

UPSGUY72

Just joined BrownCafe after exploring it for a couple weeks. I joined today and searched FLSA. Only 4 posts and nothing about Employer being responsible for keeping employees from working off the clock. This is a problem in my hub. Several drivers come in early to set up their trucks and some work through their lunch. Also, a recent case of employees vs Tyson foods was ruled in favor of the employees because gathering tools for work should have been work time. At my hub, UPS expects drivers to get DIAD, sign previous day review paperwork, get call tags, sign call tag sheet, get helper board, etc., etc. and be at PCM at start time. Shouldn't all this be considered work? I'm considering filing a report with the UPS helpline and see if anything changes. Does anyone have any thoughts on this or any experience with reporting to the helpline?

Are you a driver ?? If so what problem do you have with this these people are they taking work away from you ?

I'm not saying it right or wrong but sometimes you need to just mind your own business especially when it has nothing to do with you.

If you complaining that these driver get done before you you don't have a leg to stand on...

UPS isn't forcing you or anyone to do any work of the clock. You can show up 30 min or 30 sec early the choice is up to you. But showing up late is going to get you in trouble. You can be a hard ass and tell management that you will not do anything including talking to them, getting your call tags, ETC before your start time. But remember it's a two way street.

Calling the help line isn't going to do anything UPS isn't your problem your problem are the driver that show up a little early to prepare themselves for the day. Some only be getting there stuff together other by going to there car and adjusting the load.

You could file a grievance for these people working off the clock that probably will not go any where. It's not the same as management doing union work or being sent home will a junior employee does your work. As you said some grievances just don't go any where and other are settled quickly this is called give and take or every grievance would end up at a panel and take months if not year to have a resolution.

UPSGUY72

Our local is pretty weak where I work. A lot of basic grievance issues go unchallenged. I have spoken with management about the off the clock drivers and they just say it's on them. However, FLSA makes it pretty clear the employer must do everything within their power to prevent off-the-clock work. I just wanted to know if I contact the help line if anyone on here feels it would change this or is grievance the only thing that will change it. Regarding a grievance, do I need to go in at 7am with these drivers and watch them to file?

You need to mind your own business or be prepare for the consequences be it with management or your union brother and sisters.

The union as a hole has gotten weak on policing there own but that only because taken someone out back or to the side and giving then a ass whipping or verbal licking is much harder to do these days...

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

We have several drivers, myself included, who show up anywhere from 20 minutes to as much as an hour or more before start time. I am usually 45 minutes early. A few of them will have their cars set up stop for stop when the PCM starts. My loader is awesome so there is not much that I can (or need) to do. I do go through my EDD to see what air I have and if there any pkgs PAL'd to me that shouldn't be. I go through the packages in the lookup room to see if there any that I know that can be put out for delivery.

The hardest part for me with our 9:40 start time is sitting at home until 9---that's the main reason I come in so early. 9:40 start time sucks.

joeboodog

good people drink good beer
All I worry about is what is in my truck. If someone wants to sort their truck off the clock is their business. Usually the only ones that sort their loads are the runners that are trying squeeze a few minutes of bonus. My self, I get paid by the hour so sorting off the clock would hurt me in the pocket.

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
It's true that generally the drivers that live close are the last to show up. Guys like me who live 50 miles away from the center are 30-45 minutes early partly to leave a time cushion in case of an unexpected traffic problem.

We've talked about this working off the clock thing before of course. I've said in a previous thread that UPS should pay 10-15 minutes for necessary AM tasks. They take just as long, if not longer than PM tasks that we DO get paid for. Why aren't we given time in the AM to do them? If you don't do these tasks before PCM, then you obviously have to do them after which takes time we often don't have. A dozen + 10:30 commits demands you get on the road right away and not sit in the parking lot after your pre-trip for 10 more minutes to do what you need to do.
Asking for 10-15 minutes paid is really just for minimum tasks. I come in 30 minutes early to comfortably get ready for the day. If I don't, then I'd be rushing and stressing out and not have a smooth day. One practice I do is look at all my air stops and get all the grounds situated that go with those air stops. I don't want to visit anywhere twice. Of course, you also want to confirm you have all your NDA in the first place.
You're fairly new you'll learn. Late air tough :censored2:. If they don't give you time that's their fault. I will be paid for all of my time working simple as that. If you're not paid for all your time working there is no one to blame other than yourself.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

You're fairly new you'll learn. Late air tough :censored2:. If they don't give you time that's their fault. I will be paid for all of my time working simple as that. If you're not paid for all your time working there is no one to blame other than yourself.

Late air tough :censored2: ONLY if you run straight air----deliver one ground piece and have late air and you could be in a world of hurt.

What is so wrong with giving them 10 minutes in the morning only to take it back (at time and a half) in the evening?

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
Late air tough :censored2: ONLY if you run straight air----deliver one ground piece and have late air and you could be in a world of hurt.

What is so wrong with giving them 10 minutes in the morning only to take it back (at time and a half) in the evening?
You're right. Run straight air.

The only thing wrong with it is you're admitting to stealing time.

over9five

Staff member

How exactly do you take it back?

What is the policy for running airs?

It used to be "airs only". Then as we proved we could make service on every package for that customer and still make service on all NDAs it was relaxed. But if you had a lot of air then you better just deliver air.
If you have so many, or are dispatched so late, then I would recommend delivering just air and let the lates fall as they may. It puts the problem in mgmts. lap for them to answer to.

You need to mind your own business or be prepare for the consequences be it with management or your union brother and sisters.

The union as a hole has gotten weak on policing there own but that only because taken someone out back or to the side and giving then a ass whipping or verbal licking is much harder to do these days...

Oooooh, the "consequences".

The top half of your post mentions "your union brothers and sisters". The second half mentions the union getting weak. Might that be because of the "union brothers and sisters' who truly aren't really in the union?