New Member with two related questions.

Kicked Your Dog

25 Year UPSer/SoCal Feeder
RE: WORKING PRIOR TO START
In this instance, I'd say let it go. I personally don't work off the clock, because I'm not a company b!tch and I don't work for free. Just do your job as best as possible and stay off the radar. You have to pick your battles. My best suggestion is to get a few guys in the boat with you, and then hand the issue to your steward/business agent.

raceanoncr

Where is your steward? It really comes down to the steward stopping this. Senior people have to FILE to get paid the time that these people are working off the clock. When management has to start paying these grievances, they will put a stop to employees working off the clock.
Start the ball rolling, friend! And welcome to Brown Cafe.

Now, that's funny, I don't care who you are.

When I first started in P/C, OUR steward was the worst offender. In there an hour or more before start time setting things up perfect. We tried, to no avail, to get him outta there. How can you admonish newbies when steward is setting the pace?

At that time, I was, what they called "X-man" (ran vacations, option/sick days, etc, which means...I didn't have a job!). Friday, I walked in. They didn't have work (hard to believe, I know, but the stars were aligned). Asked if I wanted day off. I said no. They went down seniority list. He (steward, no his name was not Stewart. He was THE steward) was top dog. He took off. He had requested 8 hr day. He came over to me and ran stop-for-stop how car should be run. I'd never run his area before at all.

Long story short, every box was marked where to place all the releases (before ALL release box time), all indirects that would accept, all business locations, the whole shebang! Having NEVER run the route before, as I said, I was cleaned up at 1:30 PM. Lunch was scheduled at 3. P/Us went til 4:30. Had to sit for the full 8 hours.

Yeah, talk to my steward on this issue? Uh, no, I don't think so.

OPTION3

File for the highest senior preloader to get paid....money grievances are the only thing that will change anything.....at local panel ask them to show his start time....if it doesnt match your records , u win----the company will issue warning letters---to the offender guaranteed

Integrity

Binge Poster
Just joined BrownCafe after exploring it for a couple weeks. I joined today and searched FLSA. Only 4 posts and nothing about Employer being responsible for keeping employees from working off the clock. This is a problem in my hub. Several drivers come in early to set up their trucks and some work through their lunch. Also, a recent case of employees vs Tyson foods was ruled in favor of the employees because gathering tools for work should have been work time. At my hub, UPS expects drivers to get DIAD, sign previous day review paperwork, get call tags, sign call tag sheet, get helper board, etc., etc. and be at PCM at start time. Shouldn't all this be considered work? I'm considering filing a report with the UPS helpline and see if anything changes. Does anyone have any thoughts on this or any experience with reporting to the helpline?

StrongUPSThroughCompliance,

Yes, it is my understanding that these types of tasks should be paid for.

My experience has convinced me that the UPS help line is not effective for handling employee concerns.

Sincerely,
I

jaker

trolling
The dislikes are because you work off the clock….period
Yeah because moving a few boxes off my 1000 shelf is killing all the time the loader could be working and all the driving jobs that are missed over that time

Oh heaven no I destroy all the future jobs , I hate to tell you I got in my truck today and had no savers on the 1000 shelf so I didn't have to work all those minutes off the clock today

HomeDelivery

to the OP, good luck w/ that grievance & hope you get $$$ out of it... tell those scab drivers to stop acting like FedEx Home Delivery! (yes, we do alot of things that are un-paid by the sub-contractor & doing what you said on your first post is just a tip-of-the-iceberg)