New members - Commonly asked questions.

chet r.

Hi Everyone,

I don't work at UPS but i was hoping you could help me out... I am working on a class project to understand the effect Amazon has had on the shipment industry. I have been trying to find some numbers on the number of people employed by UPS, FedEx, etc in different roles (such as package handling, sorting) but haven't been able to. Would any of you know where to look/have the numbers?

Thanks so much!

RxL

Also both companies like FedEx and UPS are public so those figures can be obtained every quarter really.

legendofjorj

you shouldn't have done that
Hello everyone i'm new to UPS and the site. Have a question. I was hired as PT package handler and I keep reading about people being let go after peak. They're opening a new building out here and I was hired to work in that building. 0 misloads in a few weeks. Any reason I should be afraid of being let go after peak?

Harvard prof

Thank you to the creators of the "Welcome New Members" site. And to all those contributors who have taken their time to post helpful information for how to navigate through the Cafe. Also, to those who have communicated useful knowledge and suggestions. Your time and effort as an active participant will help all new members.

Thank you to the creators of the "Welcome New Members" site. And to all those contributors who have taken their time to post helpful information for how to navigate through the Cafe. Also, to those who have communicated useful knowledge and suggestions. Your time and effort as an active participant will help all new members.
Welcome to the Brown Cafe.

dan

Different buildings have different rules about cell phones, mine let them in. Management should not have a problem with you using their phone to call for a ride home.
our hub does not allow there are lockers before u enter the security check ..but ive seen people sneak them in easy when security wands you they don't check down below legs ,shoes same when leaving they never check below ur waist,, I drive so I leave mine in the car but for people who bus it there or the young ones who cant live without a phone for a few hours ...btw this is the philly airport hub

PT Car Washer

our hub does not allow there are lockers before u enter the security check ..but ive seen people sneak them in easy when security wands you they don't check down below legs ,shoes same when leaving they never check below ur waist,, I drive so I leave mine in the car but for people who bus it there or the young ones who cant live without a phone for a few hours ...btw this is the philly airport hub
We have lockers outside the security check in area also. Cell phones and car keys do not register. Anymore cell phones are just like car keys or change in your pocket.

Bokillas

Hi guys what does a fueler do? I am told I need a drivers license and drive stick. But what is the procedure. I will get trained next week but curious to get some info. Any would be appreciated thanks.

hondo

promoted to mediocrity
Hi guys what does a fueler do? I am told I need a drivers license and drive stick. But what is the procedure. I will get trained next week but curious to get some info. Any would be appreciated thanks.
Fueler (tractor) could be just fueling the tractors (diesel or the new LNG or CNG) and maybe parking them, could also involve checking/topping off fluids, sometimes cleaning the windows or washing whole tractor.

Joshman

I am a new hire and actually just waiting for my background check to come back. My question is they told me in 30 days I can join the union, as a ups employee what's your intake on the Union is it worth the money a month?

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

I am a new hire and actually just waiting for my background check to come back. My question is they told me in 30 days I can join the union, as a ups employee what's your intake on the Union is it worth the money a month?

Will this be your career or just a part time job? If it is the former---yes. If not-----no.