New members should not be

Ideliver

I agree. Even with two years of feeders under my ever expanding belt, it still makes me cringe when I see all of these freaking helper threads. Mind you, I'm not saying that they shouldn't post here. Hey, be free to freedom up your speech.

Me and another feeder driver and I were walking out this AM, bitching about some of our on-road sups--yes, they get mad when you call them on-car sups--how they like to say how tough their jobs are. Yeah, these morons actually told us that. I told my buddy that none of these guys would know tough until they did just ONE peak in a package car. We both belly laughed.

If any helpers are reading this, take no offense. Don't get mad, don't quit your temporary job. But here is the story: that driver you might be bitching about, lives your complaints everyday of the year. Except he/she is on their own, making the bad case/worse case decisions on a daily basis, where the right answer is NEVER the correct answer. And yeah, those drivers get paid better than anyone else, and they have great benefits, and so many of them--as seen in these forums--are class AAA dumbasses, but don't dare think you know what a full day is like in that driver's seat, because you DON'T.

So many of those dipschticks are that way because the pressure makes them spin circles until their day is done. And I can think of no other way to explain so many of the responses that get tacked onto honest questions here.

No, stupid is as stupid does. This job makes it easy to see who did, and didn't have some decent parenting in the developing years.

Sorry, that's the best way I know how to explain and love the people I work next to and with every day. Forgive me.

As a helper, who are you answering to? Imagine answering to a system that doesn't accept ANY voice of reason. As a helper, you don't think AT ALL, you just do. In your position, that might make you feel like a target, or a victim, but believe all of us, you're getting the easy part. Empty, brain-dead manual labor is the easy part, trust us. You'll never know what a pain in the ass it is to stop what you're doing just to go GET the help you need.

Let me put it into Hollywood terms, for simplification purposes. Yu are the driver. You bust safes for a living. Bossman tells you that, this--THAT--safe has to be cracked, or you're done. DONE-DIDDELY-DONE. But he tells you that he knows a guy that has a key to help you. That guy will meet you at the safe, in FIVE minutes, except, you're on the other side of town. You drop everything, run the lights to make the meet, but you're helper is long gone--he's helping the junior high school kids bust into the gumball machine. Bossman send you a message, did you crack that safe? "Don't tell me no..." And you wonder about the consequences.

The helper is flipping pennies, but the driver is flipping silver dollars...

All helpers, PM if I need to spell it out for you a little clearer.

As "just" a helper I need u not spell it out. If I "were" a teamster I think i could deal with what u describe.........flipping silver dollars is easy when u can file grievances.

Bagels

Family Leave Fridays!!!
I cringe when I read threads like this one. Over the years I've participated in a large breadth of forums, and nearly every one has succumb to a very small group of posters who felt THEY should decide how it should be run. Ironically, the same group of posters who @$!# and moan about UPS management want to play BrownCafe management and impose silly rules...

But honestly. There's minimal activity each day on BrownCafe (especailly for a company UPS's size) -- usually less than a page. If you're not interested in a topic, then DON'T READ IT.

Dracula

Package Car is cake compared to this...
As "just" a helper I need u not spell it out. If I "were" a teamster I think i could deal with what u describe.........flipping silver dollars is easy when u can file grievances.

Judging from the many posts I read here, trust me, it needs to be spelled out.

Dracula

Helper....two months, at the very most....drivers, all year long....put it to you this way: when I was in package car, I had my wife as a helper for two years in a row. Here in the Midwest, you never know what kind of weather you might get in December. One day, it might be snowy and 15 degrees, and the following day, it could easily be 70 degrees and sunny. That is the Midwest.

The second peak she worked with me, it was cold, COLD AS friend&CK! 0 degrees and the wind was sideways and visible. Well, she balked on me; said she was done with this job. I just looked at her, shook my head and asked her, "What the friend do you think I was doing the last 15 years?!" But she was done. For two days, I ran all of the stops while she sat in the truck, in the heat. The way I figured it, I just got a $10 an hour raise for the work I'd always done. Oh yeah, and me, AND ONLY ME, paid for X-Mas that year. She looked to the floor when the kids opened their presents.

I'm not mad at any of you helpers. All I can say is go find a nice warm job in the mall. I'm not sure why you didn't in the first place. I guess the mall jobs didn't pay $10 an hour. I'm not sure what you want from these drivers. Yeah, I read the post from the gal who said she was being sexually harassed, Kick his ass, I say. No job should you ever work unsafe, or be willing to take inhumane treatment. But if your lazy American ass wants preferential treatment in your first 30 days, well, sonny/sissy, go find the back of the god-dammed line. We've paid our dues. So if that phone call that your driver is making while your poor feet are pattering bothers you that much, tell your driver to drop you off..you're done. Trust us, we're used to people quitting on us. Friends/lovers/strangers...yeah, we never expected any of you to know or walk the steps we've walked. But do us all a favor and complain when you've gone home and are sitting on the couch...because the people you laid down for still have four or five hours back in that brown turd-mobile.

seamoose213

Forums are a place for people to share their personal experiences, and these threads/posts DH's make might be helpful next season for new helpers, and some maybe not. Don't forget that some helpers end up becoming your co-workers later, and that they know actually something of what it is like to be a driver. When maybe, some people have no idea of a days hard work with the company. Sorry but this thread comes off just a bit pretentious. As members of a community you should be happy to see new-comers, and try to be as helpful & welcoming as possible to them, not attempt to make a board exclusive. I'm new on the board and as someone who has family members decades into UPS, I have an interest in learning from others in the same business, and as a helper myself I like browsing the community to see if I would like to continue further with the company. Also, it isn't just simply doing what your driver says... Some helpers and drivers learn how to work better each day as a team. Every day my driver and I shave time off of our delivery estimates, and increase our SPORH. All I am saying is don't **** on people who are just as passionate about you with the work they do, to come online and share their experiences.

Bagels

Family Leave Fridays!!!
Oh yeah, and me, AND ONLY ME, paid for X-Mas that year. She looked to the floor when the kids opened their presents.

Wow, your wife must be one very lucky lady to have found a man like you!!!

We've paid our dues. So if that phone call that your driver is making while your poor feet are pattering bothers you that much, tell your driver to drop you off..you're done. Trust us, we're used to people quitting on us. Friends/lovers/strangers...yeah, we never expected any of you to know or walk the steps we've walked. But do us all a favor and complain when you've gone home and are sitting on the couch...because the people you laid down for still have four or five hours back in that brown turd-mobile.

Such a wonderful attitude to maintain. "Paying your dues" doesn't give you a right to sit on your truck, B.S.ing on your cell phone or texting your buddies while your helper simultaneously makes multiple deliveries that you should've been assisting with. Helpers aren't here for your convenience. They're here to help you get the job done, and done as quickly as possible.

Yes, driving's stressful. We get it. But you're making over $30/hour!!!! Most of the posting in these forums are littered with drivers complaining about their jobs, how stressful they are, how they're treated, etc. And then these SAME people will respond to insiders & helpers posting similar complaints with B.S. such as "blah, blah, blah, if you don't like your job, then quit." For freakin' sakes, they're making as little as $8/hour!!!

Honestly, perhaps you and others should start a new forum restricted to PC drivers only, and leave BrownCafe for all UPSers who "enjoy" working together.

Dracula

Wow, your wife must be one very lucky lady to have found a man like you!!!

Such a wonderful attitude to maintain. "Paying your dues" doesn't give you a right to sit on your truck, B.S.ing on your cell phone or texting your buddies while your helper simultaneously makes multiple deliveries that you should've been assisting with. Helpers aren't here for your convenience. They're here to help you get the job done, and done as quickly as possible.

Yes, driving's stressful. We get it. But you're making over $30/hour!!!! Most of the posting in these forums are littered with drivers complaining about their jobs, how stressful they are, how they're treated, etc. And then these SAME people will respond to insiders & helpers posting similar complaints with B.S. such as "blah, blah, blah, if you don't like your job, then quit." For freakin' sakes, they're making as little as $8/hour!!!

Honestly, perhaps you and others should start a new forum restricted to PC drivers only, and leave BrownCafe for all UPSers who "enjoy" working together.

Please...anyone else want to pick it up from here? I'm getting tired...

Dracula

Forums are a place for people to share their personal experiences, and these threads/posts DH's make might be helpful next season for new helpers, and some maybe not. Don't forget that some helpers end up becoming your co-workers later, and that they know actually something of what it is like to be a driver. When maybe, some people have no idea of a days hard work with the company. Sorry but this thread comes off just a bit pretentious. As members of a community you should be happy to see new-comers, and try to be as helpful & welcoming as possible to them, not attempt to make a board exclusive. I'm new on the board and as someone who has family members decades into UPS, I have an interest in learning from others in the same business, and as a helper myself I like browsing the community to see if I would like to continue further with the company. Also, it isn't just simply doing what your driver says... Some helpers and drivers learn how to work better each day as a team. Every day my driver and I shave time off of our delivery estimates, and increase our SPORH. All I am saying is don't **** on people who are just as passionate about you with the work they do, to come online and share their experiences.

Maybe you should read between the lines if you're wondering if this is the place for you. When the rest of this forum wakes up, you might find a better answer. But really, if you and you're driver are concerned about your SPORH, contact management, you can put your friendly letter in there.

rod

Retired 22 years
I cringe when I read threads like this one. Over the years I've participated in a large breadth of forums, and nearly every one has succumb to a very small group of posters who felt THEY should decide how it should be run. Ironically, the same group of posters who @$!# and moan about UPS management want to play BrownCafe management and impose silly rules...

But honestly. There's minimal activity each day on BrownCafe (especailly for a company UPS's size) -- usually less than a page. If you're not interested in a topic, then DON'T READ IT.

Tell it like its bro--tell it like it is.:goodpost:

Dracula

You should be. What a hard, grueling job you must endure in feeders...

Hey Junior, I did 22 years in a peak package car. At least half of those years there were no helpers. If I wanted, I could still be in package car, just like you could go get a job a K-Mart. I made choices. I'm happy. If I wanted to whine, I would tell everyone that you were my helper.

Necropostophiliac

So you have met or had interaction with UpstateNYUPSer already?

Bagels

Family Leave Fridays!!!
Hey Junior, I did 22 years in a peak package car. At least half of those years there were no helpers. If I wanted, I could still be in package car, just like you could go get a job a K-Mart. I made choices. I'm happy. If I wanted to whine, I would tell everyone that you were my helper.

The pot calling the kettle black...

So you have met or had interaction with UpstateNYUPSer already?

According to this site's administrator, "this site is for UPS employees, retirees and share owners."

Helpers are UPS employees, are they not? If you want forums dedicated to package car drivers only, why not start one instead of hijacking somebody else's?

With UPS hiring thousands of helpers across the country, BC is an excellent way to connect about the job - learn about it, read experiences, etc. That's what makes this place so valuable. Instead, a small minority of posters want to turn BC into "whining and complaining about my job as a PC driver" - which I don't understand.

rod

Retired 22 years
The pot calling the kettle black...

According to this site's administrator, "this site is for UPS employees, retirees and share owners."

Helpers are UPS employees, are they not? If you want forums dedicated to package car drivers only, why not start one instead of hijacking somebody else's?

With UPS hiring thousands of helpers across the country, BC is an excellent way to connect about the job - learn about it, read experiences, etc. That's what makes this place so valuable. Instead, a small minority of posters want to turn BC into "whining and complaining about my job as a PC driver" - which I don't understand.

You mean upstate has been wrong all these years and this site doesn't exit just for him? Who's going to break it to him that he is wrong --again?

Bagels

Family Leave Fridays!!!
You mean upstate has been wrong all these years and this site doesn't exit just for him? Who's going to break it to him that he is wrong --again?

Whoops, I didn't initially understand Necropostophiliac's posting. My apology.

Integrity

Binge Poster
In general response to anyone critical of the topic or type of threads, I offer the following suggestion:

If you have something you want to discuss, a topic that is to your liking, then start a discussion thread.

Peace be with you.

Sincerely,

I

If forced to make a choice, I would prefer the naive inquiries of a newbie over the stories of a UPS that no longer exists from our retirees. Dave.
I would and will listen to rods stories as long as he's posting them. I appreciate them and encourage them. When you retire in seven yeas I highly doubt you will also retire from this site even though a large majority wish you would now.

Rod is a relic who wouldn't survive in today's UPS.
Rod is a man and not a know it all man at that. He would adapt and survive and he would also flourish. You don't think there has always been obstacles at ups? Men overcome these obstacles. They have been doing it since the beginning of time. These guys like Rod can tell us things that ups did in the past and will eventually try again. I'm big into history because this is the best way to learn from mistakes. Ups goes back in time for new ways to circumvent the contract. Maybe they don't in your barn but I'm sure eventually with your endless posts they will come and screw it up where you are at with all the exposure you are bringing on yourself with your posts.