new motorolla scanners

HomeDelivery

we had some people using these new scanners; guess it's similar to ground?

i was given this one this past saturday without any training at all :zombismiley:

New scanner.jpg

built-in camera; can we use it to take photos of our driver-releases? or for any possible claims?
(i currently do that with my cellphone's crappy camera)

nice that the stylus has a tether strap to it as well

the side yellow scan buttons are sometimes cumbersome because they can be accidentally hit.
don't know about the gray side buttons are for yet.

New scanner2.jpg

" Chicklet buttons" WTF?!? I preferred the rounded buttons of our older scanners!

nice that the yellow number buttons, along with the yellow right button to switch from letters to #s input is highlighted.

the touchscreen interface is similar to our old scanners, so that's why they just gave me the thing without any training... it's more sensitive because sometimes when i arrived to a stop, the manifest isn't there & i had to log back into P&D (pickup & delivery mode) which takes some time

strong laser & has crosshairs vs the flat line of our old scanners; neat that it can scan in pure daylight!

slower than our older scanners in terms of processing the info after the scan is made...

==============================
still dunno what those other buttons are for yet; hopefully they'll have some brochure i can read so i can fully use it

when I wanted to see the full tracking number; it gets cut off on the screen, not like our old scanners

I still haven't come up to the following problem yet; when the barcode is smudged/ripped off, what buttons do you push to manually enter the tracking number? is it still shift-scan?

battery life on this new motorolla scanner is shorter than our old ones; maybe because they have some hidden programs inside of it that's running?!? we are now carrying a spare battery just in case. I almost had to use my spare after 10 hours on the road (was down to 12% life before i logged it off & this was a light day)
-------------------------------------------------------------

i know ground has the capability to get texts from their terminal? and vice-versa? you can text your terminal with this scanner?!? some rural areas that i run on doesn't have cellphone reception & i'll get phone messages after i have left the delivery area

holster is on the "loose side" as well as the pen holders on that holster. the scanner or my backup stylus & pen haven't slipped off of it yet...
New scanner.jpg
New scanner2.jpg

Ricochet1a

Those are identical to the ones Express rolled out a little over a year ago. I believe that the ones that Ground uses are the same too.

No integration ahead, nothing to see here, move along, move along....

LTFedExer

Those are identical to the ones Express rolled out a little over a year ago. I believe that the ones that Ground uses are the same too.

Yes.....Ground and Express use the same ones and UPS started using them as well.

STFXG

At ground we rent them or we can buy them. We get and send texts to CPC and then CPC can forward our texts to our drivers or to other contractors.

Texts are for sales leads, bad addresses, but mainly if you can't make a pickup. CPC will try and get another contractor to help.

The scanners run on the AT&T system so they will transmit as soon as you get back in to the network if you're in a dead zone.

The scanner is nothing special, it does have a camera but is not in use. Anyone can order one from motorola, its not a special order item. Runs on windows mobile that automatically boots the FedEx software.

Btw shift + scan for manual entry
And just hold the power button if it freezes to do a hard boot.

code 019 at ur moms

the keypad looks narrower which is nice, that way I can use the powerpad easier with one hand.

if these ones are like the slightly older model I use, as long as your modem works you can text your station from really far out places. you get texts about road conditions or, no joke, free slurpee day at the 7-11.

HomeDelivery

thanks for the Ground input FXG... at this time, other drivers from HD didn't get texts from the terminal yet & vice versa.

thanks for the tip on the hard boot.

didn't know Express is also using the same scanner as well

I have half-gloves to type on both older and the newer scanners; mainly thumb-pressing anyways

snackdad

Talk about the new scanners/trackers reminds me of a funny story from back in the 1990's. I think it was Lake Merced in San Francisco that was drained for a project in the 1990's. There was a lot of debris that was recovered from the bottom of the lake. FedEx was contacted by officials because 11 Supertrackers were found at the bottom of the lake. I also remember a few co-workers taking some supertrackers to a gun range once and using the supertrackers as a target. I do not condone this un-environmental waste of materials but those guys really had a ball with it.

CJinx

The STAR 3 scanners also had cameras. The only time I've ever seen them used is when the QA clerk processes overgoods. Did anyone else ever use them?

I was guessing that they retained the camera function for when STAR 3's would be replaced in QA cages, but it appears that they opted for a new model; the MC55. It is a blackberry sized scanner based on the same tech as the STAR 4. The major selling point; different batteries! No more jackasses taking the battery out of the QA clerks scanner and leaving a dead or no battery. :)

GroundSwitcher

The Star 3 scanners are still used by our QA clerks and for TMS. We use the camera on the TMS scanner quite a bit to take pictures of all the terrible loads that come in.. The cameras on the S3's are only black and white though.. Dunno about the S4's, all the drivers have them but I haven't been able to get ahold of one yet.

CJinx

The cameras are in color on the MC55. :)
TMS and HD pip will not be available at launch so they'll still need to use STAR 3 for those. I believe they'll be in an update sometime after peak.

SmithBarney

I had a chance to see a ground one up close, they are slightly different but essentially the same as the express ones.
there are a bunch of useless buttons, they are very small, but with ROADS, and Manifests(ground) typing should be minimized.

HomeDelivery

very short time to get used to the new scanners; already liked this better than the old honeywell ones...

some are allowed to carry a backup battery as well as plug-in 12V chargers for those that service rural routes or ones that are farther away from the terminal.

the holsters are on the loose side; i'm using my old holster instead so the scanner will not jump out of my side when running - i mean briskly walking- to and fro from my package car...

MrFedEx

Engorged Member

Remember the scene in "Police Squad" where Leslie Nielsen is standing in front of the exploding Chinese fireworks factory saying "nothing to see, move along?" This is just all one big coincidence (the new PowerPads). Just ask 59Dano when he returns from putting the third coat of wax on Fred's limo. Double chop-chop...

DOWNTRODDEN IN TEXAS

Remember the scene in "Police Squad" where Leslie Nielsen is standing in front of the exploding Chinese fireworks factory saying "nothing to see, move along?" This is just all one big coincidence (the new PowerPads). Just ask 59Dano when he returns from putting the third coat of wax on Fred's limo. Double chop-chop...

My favorite is the scene where they are in the car and he looks in the mirror to see a guy in the back seat and saying "I think we're being followed...see if you can lose him!" and after some evasive maneuvers, he's gone!...lol

This is Dano's scene to me..."Now Dano, don't you con me!"..."Uhhh...no sir Mr. Smith, I meant I was just starting on the 3rd coat of wax..." ... "That Dano, always trying to con me!"

HomeDelivery

back on topic

I love how the laser can scan in broad daylight! that way while i'm "briskly walking" to the home, i can scan the doortag en route...

I wish they can enable the camera function so we can take a quick pic of every DR stop as proof of delivery instead of those cumbersome post-it tags.

recently had 2 claims; one driver used a blank door tag on the door & when the customer arrived, the 9lb box was nowhere to be found. will the contractor be billed for that dispute?

another claim found out that the neighbor took the package, but left the post-it on the door... if you're going to steal, take the doortag off the door as well!

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
My favorite is the scene where they are in the car and he looks in the mirror to see a guy in the back seat and saying "I think we're being followed...see if you can lose him!" and after some evasive maneuvers, he's gone!...lol

This is Dano's scene to me..."Now Dano, don't you con me!"..."Uhhh...no sir Mr. Smith, I meant I was just starting on the 3rd coat of wax..." ... "That Dano, always trying to con me!"

He sounds more like Biff in "Back To The Future".

CJinx

I love how the laser can scan in broad daylight! that way while i'm "briskly walking" to the home, i can scan the doortag en route...
I wish they can enable the camera function so we can take a quick pic of every DR stop as proof of delivery instead of those cumbersome post-it tags
QA recently received the MC55A scanner, which is based off the technology in your STAR4 scanner. I really do like the more powerful laser. If you want to use the camera, though... I hope you have either a car charger or spare batteries. Using the camera on the MC55A murders the battery. The camera is in full color, has built in flash, and takes a crisp clean picture.