New one on me

BLACKBOX

Life is a Highway...
Whenever I see drivers for any company standing behind their PC or truck before crossing the street, I just have to refer to the poster that mentioned how one person was maimed by a wayward vehicle. I tend to stay on the sidewalk to make sure traffic clears before attempting to cross. I don't about the far lane until the lane nearest to me clears. You will have no time to react and you will pinned like a pinata to the back of your vehicle.

iruhnman630

Had my annual safety ride this week...

The mirror was a big one. He wanted it done at every stop.

Crossing behind the truck has been an adjustment for me. I seem to recall being trained to either walk behind or diamond off in front, by crossing far enough in front of the truck to eliminate the blind spot. This is what I have always been used to, and felt very safe. But now I'm working as directed, adjusting to crossing behind. I'd say I'm about 80% compliant now, but still feel uncomfortable.

What's next? Orange cones. They're pushing it on our air drivers now, following a string of hit-while-parked accidents. Talk about slowing down production.

toonertoo

Most Awesome Dog
Staff member
I just started pulling my mirror in. I dont feel safe doing it. I push it out from the bottom, putting undue strain on my wrist. I only do it if I am parked on a road, not in lots. I read it coming down the pike so I just started doing it. I see orange cones coming. And then they will take away a little more time, for some bogus reason. And we will continue to run later and later doing more and more.
The hit while parked will increase in the warm weather while we are in residential neighborhoods in the evening, and people continue to be slaves to their electronic devices. My last two unavoidables were caused my people jumping on their phones, and backing out of drives without looking. Glad it was a truck they hit, instead of a family going for a walk. But it is not necessarily us, we stay off our phones when we are driving, the public needs to do the same, that wont happen.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

But it is not necessarily us, we stay off our phones when we are driving, the public needs to do the same, that wont happen.

I would think (hope) that this is true but know that it is not. We have several drivers who seem to spend the greater part of their day on their cell phones. I try really hard not to use mine while driving but admit that I sometimes do, especially this past week as I am in the process of refinancing and my phone seemed to ring off the hook.

over9five

Staff member
I will talk hands free in my own car, but I will NEVER talk while driving in a UPS vehicle. It's very easy to pull over if you have to. I don't even do that, I check for missed calls on my breaks (if I think of it!).

Dustyroads

Back when I was initially trained, we only worried about being hit by horses and buggies... However, a few years ago, in our center, a driver was crossing the street, went across the front of his package car, was hit by a car that was headed in the same direction as his package car was pointed (coming from behind). It threw the driver into the windshield of the car and onto the pavement, breaking his arm. To, literally, add insult to injury, the police who worked the accident ticketed our driver for jaywalking. Yep, jaywalking. UPS paid the criminal's fine. The next day, after the accident, our pcm was all about crossing the street from the back of the package car.

john346

No more Brown!
I will talk hands free in my own car, but I will NEVER talk while driving in a UPS vehicle. It's very easy to pull over if you have to. I don't even do that, I check for missed calls on my breaks (if I think of it!).
Management at our center LOVES that we have cell phones. Miss sorts, service jumps, finding us on road for more work, etc. Was told to me that it costs .25 cents per ODS message.

SWORDFISH

Sorry, but on this one I completely disagree with the company. Ultimately, YOU are responsible for your own safety. Crossing the road behind the PC leaves you NOWHERE to hide from an oncoming car. Crossing in front of the PC is the safest way. The PC is protecting you from being hit.

Sure, crossing behind means they can see you better. WHO CARES? I'd rather have 20,000 pounds of package car between me and them.

I completely agree w/ you and have fought it hard but at the end of the day where I am there is no backup. Union says work as instructed (even though I said I felt unsafe)and company says follow methods of walking behind car only! No going in front or out the driver side unless in a parking lot or driveway. I dont feel like getting fired and battling it in panel so I just do it. I brought it up in a safety meeting and said its not any safer in most areas Im in cuz when you pull over your usually partially blocking a lane of traffic which eliminates the safety of it(the idea is that you can get completely out of the lanes of traffic) even the supe agreed w/ my point. This method especially affects me and they know it cuz 5yrs ago I had a guy slam into the back of my PC at 35mph and bounce off he hit so hard. He was arrested at the seen trying to stash $10k and Im not sure how much drugs. Also had alot of keys on him(car/house). I happend to be on the porch of my delivery when it happend so I was fine but had I been behind it I would no longer have legs. The collision crushed the front of his car and dented the actual engine and bent my rear bumper completely under the PC. The accident was deemed unavoidable.
To me if saftey was so important to them they wouldnt make me cross from behind. Its more of a joke than anything. I just do what Im told (thats what I told my supe in the safety meeting). If somthing happens doing thier methods then its on thier head.

Sorry, but on this one I completely disagree with the company. Ultimately, YOU are responsible for your own safety. Crossing the road behind the PC leaves you NOWHERE to hide from an oncoming car. Crossing in front of the PC is the safest way. The PC is protecting you from being hit.

Sure, crossing behind means they can see you better. WHO CARES? I'd rather have 20,000 pounds of package car between me and them.

I had the same thought until I came back to the center one day and heard that a driver in another center had been hit by a car while walking from the front of the pkg car. That was about 20yrs ago...she has been in the ground for the past 20 years and left behind a 2 yr old daughter. Since then it has been the back of the car when necessary.