New Orion loading policy

bleedinbrown58

That’s Craptacular
At the pcm this morning...our DM (who's rarely in before the sun rises) told us that starting next week, all loaders must write HIN #'s on every package they load....shelves and floor. No more peeling PAL stickers and sticking them on the ends of boxes. All employees who fail to follow this procedure will be subject to discipline. I asked how, seeing that one of the 8 keys of the DOK is get a firm grip on the package....how are we supposed to loading safely with a crayon in our hand? Cue the imfamous management blank stare...meeting adjourned...lol.

oldngray

nowhere special
At the pcm this morning...our DM (who's rarely in before the sun rises) told us that starting next week, all loaders must write HIN #'s on every package they load....shelves and floor. No more peeling PAL stickers and sticking them on the ends of boxes. All employees who fail to follow this procedure will be subject to discipline. I asked how, seeing that one of the 8 keys of the DOK is get a firm grip on the package....how are we supposed to loading safely with a crayon in our hand? Cue the imfamous management blank stare...meeting adjourned...lol.

Sounds like a directive from a cubicle geek who has never worked in operations himself.

Overpaid Union Thug

Here they have to write the sequence number on the box and circle it on the PAL. At first they were told to load them with the crayon written numbers out but that didn't last long. Too many complaints from drivers. There are plenty of reasons why we complained but the main one was because too many stops had the same sequence number. At least the PALs have addresses on them.

Sent using BrownCafe App

bleedinbrown58

That’s Craptacular
Here they have to write the sequence number on the box and circle it on the PAL. At first they were told to load them with the crayon written numbers out but that didn't last long. Too many complaints from drivers. There are plenty of reasons why we complained but the main one was because too many stops had the same sequence number. At least the PALs have addresses on them.

Sent using BrownCafe App
Our "official" way..pre-Orion was to peel PAL sticker, compare address on PAL to main label address. Place pal label on the end of package, and make a hash mark on the pal to corfirm address confirmation.
Makes sense...8 different houses on Smith Street..all pal'd to 4500. It's a stupid policy that is more time consuming....but I work as directed.

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
Our "official" way..pre-Orion was to peel PAL sticker, compare address on PAL to main label address. Place pal label on the end of package, and make a hash mark on the pal to corfirm address confirmation.
Makes sense...8 different houses on Smith Street..all pal'd to 4500. It's a stupid policy that is more time consuming....but I work as directed.
Wow you're allowed to look at the addresses? Our preloaders look at loading instructions and that's it.

Had a driver tell me he asked the preload sup if the loader could put one stop in the same place everyday no matter where the label said. Sups reply. "No. Then I'd have loaders putting everything wherever they want. I can't have that."

oldngray

nowhere special
Drivers seldom if ever look at PAL labels or sequence numbers in crayon. They just look at the actual addresses. The push for preload to do all the stuff about hash marks or circling are supposed to be to confirm the package is loaded correctly. Most preloaders never read addresses and when asked about where a street goes they have the deer in headlights gaze. When there were load charts and an address had same sequence number every day it might have mattered but now its only used to try to find the package in the load. And since very few cars are loaded in correct order and the PAL for an address changes every day its a waste of time and effort.

oldngray

nowhere special
Wow you're allowed to look at the addresses? Our preloaders look at loading instructions and that's it.

Had a driver tell me he asked the preload sup if the loader could put one stop in the same place everyday no matter where the label said. Sups reply. "No. Then I'd have loaders putting everything wherever they want. I can't have that."

I asked a preloader if he was reading addresses to confirm the PAL matched the actual address and he never heard of anyone doing that (which was supposed to be part of methods). Also, his response was he didn't have the time to read anything.

bleedinbrown58

That’s Craptacular

I don't actually load our official way...I just peel PALs... but I do read address to move certain business stops to where my drivers want them. But you guys know...you load routes long enough, you can recogize stops just by looking at the boxes..lol. It only becomes an issue when a pt sup has to do a load quality audit. Then I get stupid questions like...oh these boxes say 3000...why are they in the back of the car on the floor? Because that's where they go.

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
I don't actually load our official way...I just peel PALs... but I do read address to move certain business stops to where my drivers want them. But you guys know...you load routes long enough, you can recogize stops just by looking at the boxes..lol. It only becomes an issue when a pt sup has to do a load quality audit. Then I get stupid questions like...oh these boxes say 3000...why are they in the back of the car on the floor? Because that's where they go.
If honestly love to see how this place ran for a few weeks with no supervision. I know there would be some real :censored2: ups but I think for the most part this place would run smoother.

bleedinbrown58

That’s Craptacular
If honestly love to see how this place ran for a few weeks with no supervision. I know there would be some real :censored2: ups but I think for the most part this place would run smoother.
I agree. Old loaders should be training the newbies...not the pt sup who loaded for a month and couldn't hack it.

watdaflock?

Preloaders are also under a time crunch. I can't ever read what they write on the boxes.

lol! No doubt my chicken scratch is hard to read.
Majority of our senior pre-loaders don't even write the #'s on the box.
Me being a nooby (one yer anniversary still three months away) I write the #'s on majority of the boxes.
By the end of load and boxes are being crammed down our throats......the hell with the #'s and just get it close.

I agree. Old loaders should be training the newbies...not the pt sup who loaded for a month and couldn't hack it.

The new pt sup at our small hub holds the record for misloads at over a dozen in one day.

PT Car Washer

I asked a preloader if he was reading addresses to confirm the PAL matched the actual address and he never heard of anyone doing that (which was supposed to be part of methods). Also, his response was he didn't have the time to read anything.
Our preload manager would start sending out warning letters for comparing the PAL label to the address label. Stealing time. More then once had an out of state misload.

PT Car Washer

lol! No doubt my chicken scratch is hard to read.
Majority of our senior pre-loaders don't even write the #'s on the box.
Me being a nooby (one yer anniversary still three months away) I write the #'s on majority of the boxes.
By the end of load and boxes are being crammed down our throats......the hell with the #'s and just get it close.

The new pt sup at our small hub holds the record for misloads at over a dozen in one day.
One truck or multiple trucks?

joeboodog

good people drink good beer
Our preload manager would start sending out warning letters for comparing the PAL label to the address label. Stealing time. More then once had an out of state misload.

Only at UPS could someone get in trouble for doing their job. I suppose that manager never heard of a thing called a "bad pal."