New Orleans

C

crappie

Danny boy ,lets see 80% of the city underwater ,the water is still pouring in.It may take months to pump the city out .Every one in new orleans is told to leave.Now if a building stays in water for months what do you think will happen to it.
new orleans missed a direct hit by 50 miles mm almost a direct hit.
Danny boy you need to wake up.

This will the the most expensive storm in usa history.

U

upsdawg

D-Boy----so the pictures that I have seen with N.O under water--and in some cases 20 foot deep--is just for publicity??

My prayers go out to those people effected----and for those people who are looting and trying to carry off computers and tvs------where the heck are you going to put them---everything is flooded and there won't be any electricity for weeks!! For those people who are looting to feed themselves and their families----I can't even begin to understand, but you have to do what you have to do!!

I know the UPS Foundation is at work trying to determine what/where the best course of support would be.I have heard several offers from UPS families across the country for support (it's on a different thread----Katrina) to those UPSers who are in the impacted areas. This is an extremely negative situation---but just as in 911, it brought the rest of the country together and reminded us that we are the greatest nation on earth......do we have problems and differences---absolutely----but it is time to put those aside and focus on our country folk who are in need!!

God Speed to normalcy!

B

brownmonster

I imagine all the others countries that we are always helping are lining up to return the favor. Not!

S

susiedriver

Brownmonster,
Actually, Canada has already responded. They are our closest neighbor that is in a position to offer aid.

DBoy,
What color is the sky in your world? I'm guessing red.

O

ok2bclever

danny, for a generally knowledgeable guy you are uniformed or days out of date regarding NO and sounding strange about slanted news coverage and the physical properties of NO and it's relationship to the levee system that protects it.

How many holes in a boat does one need for it to be serious?!?

It's serious and it ain't going to get better any time soon.

U

upsdawg

B-Monster----the Tsunami people are still trying to recover. My wife got an email yesterday from a higher up in the Sri Lanka official ranks. He was over here for 5 years and after the Tsunami he went back to assist family members who were still alive.He made it sound like the Tsunami is not their only concern, as the recent Asassination of their Secratary of State ( or Prime Minister?)--anyway he indicated that there is termoil and they are scheduled to have an election soon to bring the country back to some kind of stability!!

It would be nice for some of the countries that the US has supported to pay us back during our times of distress.The situation in N.O. is bad and I am afraid it will get worse, before it gets better.

It appears that the UPS Foundation has some things in the works and also the Brotherhood has a fund for Teamsters who need relief support.

I wonder how I would survive if there was no electricity, and probably won't be any for 3 weeks---no safe water to drink----no gas---limited food supply----where is that roof that used to over my head?---and I am treading water that may be 20 feet high!!!!

Prayers, Prayers, and more Prayers

3zm7f

Where is Jesse Jackson? All his people are doing the looting.Maybe that"s why nobody can find him

S

sendagain6160

3ZM7F....Jessie will be there as soom as FEMA sends him a check for about a mil......

Q

quebec_driver

Canada`s prime minister is to talk to Pres Bush tomorrow to see if the people in NO need help and what they need, I heard our army`s DART( disater assistance relief team) is on call and waiting for the word to go, I hope the Politicians will think with their heads and not their a***s, people need help not political BS...

3zm7f

The point I"m trying to make is,Jackson sticks his nose into everything white do that is wrong, but black people NEVER do anything wrong according to him.

Q

quebec_driver

I was part of the people affected by the ice storm of 98, support from everywhere was slow because politician try to EVALUATE THE NEEDS, that another phrase to mean I DON`T KNOW, basic needs were slow in coming, people need food water and a place to stay while rebuilding. From experience I can tell you people are going to feel as if they are forgotten. Hope looms large when a bit is done, and it falters when nothing seems to happen.

S

susiedriver

3z,

Oh there's a point? What, to slam Jesse Jackson?

You do realize that almost everyone who was stranded in NO is Afro-American, and poor, don't you? You do realize that they have been without food, water, clean clothing and sanitation for days with no hope for any semblance of normality in the near future (months), don't you?

3zm7f

So that gives them the right to break in to stores and steal gym shoes,clothes,tv"s and guns,I don"t think any of that stuff is good to eat.They have no food, but they have a new pair of shoes to wear,and a tv to look at,and guns that can never be traced.

(Message edited by 3zm7f on August 31, 2005)

O

ok2bclever

Seems pretty simple to me as well and you don't judge it by color, a looter has a tv, microwave or the like in hand and a survivor has bread, water, etc.

Shoot the looter in the head, society already has a surplus of stupid scavengers, help the survivor.

T

toonertoo

The people who waited til the last minute are mostly poor disabled, elderly and yes afro american. The ones who ran, and didnt have a place to go, are fairing much better. As much as I love my beer, that would not be what I would be floating on my boat. I can understand stealing neccesity, survival, because they couldnt buy it if they wanted to but the rest, shoot em. The people who took bread water, soap, shampoo,I can understand, the people with ak47s, perfect chance to get rid of them, they would be lost in the shuffle. JMHO

D

dannyboy

What can I say, when I posted, the levies were holding and most of New Orleans was safe from major damage. Seems like things have gotten a bit worse.

On another note, any one noticed that most of the survivors that are being pulled out and that have been shown on video are black? Is it maybe that the city's poor, those without modes of transportation or those only relying on public transport, didnt have a way out even after being told to leave? Been thinking about that. i have many customers that would be stuck here if something like that hit our area. No way for them to leave without walking or taking a bike.

I wonder what if anything was done for those without transportation or if they were even thought about?

Where was Jessee when he could have done some good?

d

O

opie

Seems like things have gotten a bit worse.

It is more than just a bit worse. This is a catastrophe. New Orleans is a major city which has suffered a grievous blow. The whole region, not just New Orleans has been devastated. Thousands are feared dead in New Orleans. This could be the deadliest natural disaster in the U.S. in 100 years. New Orleans literally has been wiped off the map! The city has to be abandoned for months, if not longer. It will never be the same again. At least over a million people in that area are jobless and homeless, and will be for some time. We will feel the effects of this disaster, notably on the economy. Already gas prices are $3.00 a gallon in my area, two days ago it was $2.50!

T

tieguy

It does seem like they are moving a little faster than normal on this one. National guard units from all over the country are being deployed to the area. They already have hospital ships, Coast guard relief, Army engineers etc deployed.