New over 9.5 rules?

LastBest&Final

To Endeavor To Persevere
Hey Heff,
Another peculiar thing about the management team is they don't care about wage progression. Their numbers are based on the SPHOR, under 8.s over 9.5, and over 10's for the center. That's what matters to their superiors.

Unless I'm mistaken or I'm terribly wrong (I very well could be) the center team doesn't care about the profit of the company. If they did, they would have all drivers not making top-rate sent to keep the drivers at full-rate under 10 hours. Instead its a game to keep as many drivers under 9.5 no matter what their hourly wage.

If it were my business I work the $15 hour drivers 60 hours and the $29 hour drivers 40. This is not the case at UPS.

If your still making money paying drivers $29 per hour, why wouldn't work them 60 hours per week, also?

LastBest&Final

To Endeavor To Persevere
I find this topic very interesting. I realize it has been a million years since I was in any of the driver's shoes when it comes to 9.5 hours.

Please take this as an outsider looking in....

In today's economy when there are so many people either out of work or losing their homes or facing pay cuts or freezes, I find it laughable that many of you are so concerned about working over 9.5 hours. You may be singing a different song if the company (God forbid) lays you off in the coming months. There is no guarantee that this recession is going to get better. It could get much worse.

You should take what you can get and BANK your money. You never know what is going to happen in the next 6 months or year. Be glad you are working 9.5 hours or more.

It is my opinion that this recession is going to change the mindset of X and Y gen way of thinking. Especially those who lose it all. It won't take long for the philosophy of the Great Generation and the Baby Bomers to take root in their mindset if this continues to go the way I think it is heading.

This is one time that I hope I am so wrong.

I appreciate your commits and definitely see your point, but there are people that make less than we make and can still afford to BANK their money. If you live within your means and know how to save, you don't need to work so many hours. If you can't do that, it doesn't matter if you work 24/7 it still won't be enough money.

It is of my opinion that your quality of life is not to be measured by the wealth you produce but by the happiness that you enjoy. If you get your happiness in the wealth that you produce then work as much as possible, but if our happiness is found else where then why can't we allowed a little more time to enjoy it. Give the overtime to those who want it, and reduce it for those who don't.

The spend and don't save mind set greatly grew the economy, but also caused the recession. Just as it has happen in the past, so it will happen in the future.

govols019

You smell that?
I find it laughable that many of you are so concerned about working over 9.5 hours. You may be singing a different song if the company (God forbid) lays you off in the coming months.
If they weren't working us all over 9.5 then there wouldn't be as many drivers laid off.

705red

Browncafe Steward
I find this topic very interesting. I realize it has been a million years since I was in any of the driver's shoes when it comes to 9.5 hours.

Please take this as an outsider looking in....

In today's economy when there are so many people either out of work or losing their homes or facing pay cuts or freezes, I find it laughable that many of you are so concerned about working over 9.5 hours. You may be singing a different song if the company (God forbid) lays you off in the coming months. There is no guarantee that this recession is going to get better. It could get much worse.

You should take what you can get and BANK your money. You never know what is going to happen in the next 6 months or year. Be glad you are working 9.5 hours or more.

It is my opinion that this recession is going to change the mindset of X and Y gen way of thinking. Especially those who lose it all. It won't take long for the philosophy of the Great Generation and the Baby Bomers to take root in their mindset if this continues to go the way I think it is heading.

This is one time that I hope I am so wrong.
Lifer, there are many reasons for the 9.5 language, from utilizing more package car drivers, getting home daily to see the family, to not abusing your body to much that it becomes impossible to reach retirement.

I understand that ups says they save money by busting out routes because they do not have to pay for gas and maintenance of the vehicles. But the fact it the vehicles still have to have a pmi even if they sit in the yard for the year unused. The only gas that is saved from driving to the route and back to the building typically gets used from the drivers with the splits driving from their route to the busted out route and many times driving through another drivers area to do the split.

Ups spends more in overtime and triple time for 9.5s than it would have by using a one year driver to do that same work.

We are still a profitable company and this is the time to put in all the routes and allow the drivers to spend more time providing service to the customers and growing the business. Its really hard to sell ups to a customer that no longer has any idea what time their delivery or pick up would be made. Its also really hard when they see 3 different drivers in the same week because the work gets moved around so much. JMO

UPS Lifer

I know the man and I find it safe to say that he can still keep up with the best of us. I find it laughable that you judge without knowing what you are talking about!

Thanks for the support. Sometimes it is easier to attack the person! I have been guilty of that as well! I take that kind of attack for what it is. It tells me a lot about that individual.

My post was not taken as a management person or former driver looking at this. I personally agree with your perspective (and always have) and that drivers should not be working over 9.5 hours.

If any package center that I ran started to creep past 9.3 paid day, the alarm would go off in my head. I needed to get it back in line and I would work on the dispatch and driver accountability to do that. Here is the difference.... I was not micro-managed. Everyone including me was affected if the paid day was over 9.5.

Working too many hours affects attitude, performance, outside quality of life, and your safety as well as the general public's safety. A lot of the same reasons why I believe in taking a lunch. .... but that is another thread! LOL!

I guess what I am saying is that maybe this is not the time to really make such an issue of this.

This reminds me of the squirrel who is busy scurrying around hoarding nuts and berries for the winter. There is no time to rest. If the squirrel does not hoard enough than it might not make it through the winter.

My post had to do with the recession and what I believe is the start of a depression. I am hopeful it will not get as bad as the 1930's but that depends on what our government does. Right now I have no confidence in the stimulus. The country needs immediate relief through housing initiatives and loan relief, job creation and tax relief. If the money goes anywhere else it will not help. I am well connected to real estate and investment arenas and the signs are all still moving the wrong direction.

This is why I am saying get the hours now! Make as much as you can before everything goes south.

We missed the signs earlier but there are two more waves of Interest adjustments coming (2009 & 2010) and hundreds of thousand more jobs to be lost. Commercial real estate is starting to show the signs that residential real estate are showing.

The real sign of a recession/depression are the jobs lost and right now they keep coming. It will get even worse before summer. You are only experiencing the tip of the iceberg with UPS as well.

Forget about seniority because if it gets bad enough... whole centers will close. The network will collapse backward to the hubs.

X & Y gen have little idea what a recession or depression is.

I am not hijacking this thread - people are talking about working too much (9.5 hours plus) and there are millions of people out of work who only wish they could fill the shoes and brown uniforms to put food on the table and shelter for their family.

There is an old saying - A recession is when your neighbor is out of work....
A depression is when YOU are out of work.

I am not crying doom and gloom - it is already there - You need to be that little squirrel hoarding your cache of food for the winter.

LastBest&Final

To Endeavor To Persevere
I would rather have more people working but working less hours than having less people but working more hours. It would the best stimulus package.