New P700's

Pollocknbrown

Forget the chains, they have disc brakes on all four and single wheels.

chains are still useful, the most useless thing in snow though is anti-lock brakes. Driving along and ur brake pedal pullsating freaks me out, i'd rather pump the brakes than deal with that, hell i still do pump them even with anti lock brakes. Not to mention if ur tires do lock up it is actually easier to stop b/c your piling snow up infront of your tires creating more drag and friction.

Backlasher

Stronger, Faster, Browner
chains are still useful, the most useless thing in snow though is anti-lock brakes. Driving along and ur brake pedal pullsating freaks me out, i'd rather pump the brakes than deal with that, hell i still do pump them even with anti lock brakes. Not to mention if ur tires do lock up it is actually easier to stop b/c your piling snow up infront of your tires creating more drag and friction.

"Slam brakes to lock up tires = piling snow up infront of tire thus creating drag and friction thereby making it easier to stop."

:lol::lol:

Note too newbies: do not try this at home or in a UPS package car, (it's a truck), unless your a professional polock 'n browns. :tongue_sm :lol::lol::lol:

I'm sorry, don't get mad. It's just a crazy idea to me.

Cementups

Box Monkey
I've had a new P7 single rear for about 6 month now. I just turned 30k miles on it yesterday. I hated the mirrors at first but now I would say that the only thing I don't like about them being so low is that you have to watch hitting mailboxes with them. So far I've only done it once. turning left isn't so bad but if you are making a hard turn right...forget it....you will be doing K-turn exercises. It also has no giddy-up off the line, but once you get her going she gets on going. and the amount of heat that pours out of the vents in this thing is absurd. Toasty!!

25yrvet

I've had both, the 70D that was made in 03 & the 'new generation' POS.

To me there is no comparison--the 70D was great with it's duals in the wind, wider front doors ( all 3 !!) Great turning radius compared to the 'NG". The closet doors are horrendous on the back end of the 'NG', the outside latch doesn't always retract & the doors get stuck open. Many times I have to pull very hard to get the back doors shut. I also liked how the older p7 had the WHOLE pkg compartment 1 level--no stupid half step after the wheel wells.
The NG only has 2 improvements over the older model that I like; a ceiling fresh air vent & the mirrors, which take some getting used to but help eliminate blind spots.
As usual, I have no respect for the idiot who designed & ordered the 'NG' model p7. It might work alright in comfy downtown Atlanta, where the idiot works & has a window office, but up north we have snow, dirt roads & wind............YO IDIOTS, START LISTENING TO THE PEOPLE IN THE TRENCHES.
BTW... lotsa safety issues with the 'new' p57's
BTW... the p32's are starting to be junked, they sure lasted a long time didn't they.:wink:

Pollocknbrown

"Slam brakes to lock up tires = piling snow up infront of tire thus creating drag and friction thereby making it easier to stop."

:lol::lol:

Note too newbies: do not try this at home or in a UPS package car, (it's a truck), unless your a professional polock 'n browns. :tongue_sm :lol::lol::lol:

I'm sorry, don't get mad. It's just a crazy idea to me.

it is crazy, if your going the speed limit in a snow storm, if u know how to drive in the winter your fine, not saying im an expert just speaking my opinion of what works, and unless its a road that has ditches and is in the country, your fine with my technique haha.

Cementups

Box Monkey
We have these pointed strips in our trucks to use if you get stuck somewere. they hook to your back bumper and fit under teh wheel. It is only used to help get you out of stuck. Ive never had to use them and I hope I never do.

Big Babooba

Are you talking about the cheater chains that wrap around through the wheel holes? If you put those on this car with the disc brakes your gonna lock up the wheel or break the brakes. No pun intended.
Those are what we are given to use. Never had a problem with concerning disc brakes.

Big Babooba

Are you talking about the cheater chains that wrap around through the wheel holes? If you put those on this car with the disc brakes your gonna lock up the wheel or break the brakes. No pun intended.
I got stuck in the mud after a late season snow storm. I called for a tow and the shop supervisor asked me if I had cheater chains. He told me to put them on and I should be able to get out. It was slow going but I got out.

30andout

I got stuck in the mud after a late season snow storm. I called for a tow and the shop supervisor asked me if I had cheater chains. He told me to put them on and I should be able to get out. It was slow going but I got out.
Were both talking the new Freightliners with the single rear wheels, right.

Pip

If some of these new 700's have the sliding rear doors, be prepared for trouble. I got 4 of them in my fleet last year, new. Out of the 4, 3 so far have had to have rivets reinstalled on both sides of the outer rear. Problem is there is no reinforcement back there. When continual bumping of docks, it is shearing off the factory rivets.

1 car came in late spring(only 9,900 miles) end of day, with gapping holes from the rivets shearing off. I could literally stick my whole arm into the cargo compartment from the outside.

The doors get out of alignment easy, making shutting them harder. I'm afraid it is a bad setup. Not to mention if you have a cold winters, the sliding doors freeze up, not being able to open them. I just don't see this setup lasting 20 years.

An other thing, If some of these cars have the VT-365 international engine in. Be prepared to be in some older cars. 2 of my 4 have been to the dealership for warranty work 6+ times within the 1st year. Seems the engine wants to go into limp mode while going down the road. The only way to correct this is to shut the ignition off, then back on again to reset the ecm codes. As one of the drivers stated, it is a total pain in the arse. Dealer keep replacing parts, but it does it the next day on route again.

There is an awful lot of bugs to be worked out of these new 700's. so take a long hard look before giving up your old car. you might end up back in it from time to time with all the down time on these new ones.