New package car driver here! Have a few questions!

cosmo1

Perhaps.
Staff member
Hey guys, first post here!

So I started driving this month, 2 days with an on car sup. and 8 days out by myself so far. Started at 80 stops per day and am now at about 170 stops and getting done in roughly 8 hours; with taking a lunch break.

My question is how bad of a mistake is this: Left info notice for a signature required stop, and next day the home owner left a note attached to info notice saying it was okay to leave package in door without a signature, so I did. Also this was an apple product, took a picture of the note and informed managers/supervisors upon returning to the building.

I was told to not do this, so now I know better. They didn't seem mad at me but Im just curious as to whether or not this is a serious issue. Feel like Im doing well but I just can't get this off my mind. Responses greatly appreciated.

Management understood it was a mistake and informed me of the proper procedure, no problems or trouble. Also scratched my route that day by one hour, not too bad I'd say.

Geez, pal, don't worry. You're a hero! Ten days on the street and you are already pounding out 170 stops in eight hours and running under by an hour.

With numbers like those, you could run over the center manager's first-born and not get in trouble.

JL 0513

Question is, how many miles and pieces are you doing? 170 stops in 8 hours has to be a tight knit route. Overall short walks too. City route for sure.

Upsman92

I do take lunch, it was stressed that taking lunch is mandatory, so I do.

A little over 200 pieces in truck and its been less then 100 miles. I am not located in the city.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Upsman92, don't you worry about those guys. It sounds as though you are doing a very good job out there. Yes, mistakes happen, but it is how you deal with those that will help you grow as a driver and as a person.

FWIW, I have 25 years in and average 1-1.5 hours under every day, with a full lunch and break.

joeboodog

good people drink good beer
I have almost 30 years in and when in doubt call the center. Put the decision on them because we are just mindless robots that are out to screw the company.

thatsmypackage

Last year I had a lot of wines and liquors that needed signatures... after lugging the heavy bottles up the steep driveway, and no one was home to sign for it... I just signed it myself. Not saying it's the right thing to do but... Ipods and such, I would get a real sig for.

Last year I had a lot of wines and liquors that needed signatures... after lugging the heavy bottles up the steep driveway, and no one was home to sign for it... I just signed it myself. Not saying it's the right thing to do but... Ipods and such, I would get a real sig for.

We had a driver lose his job for doing that......he is gone!......... 20 plus years down the toliet!

S

serenity now

worse case scenario / people are gone for a few days / young neighborhood kids find the package

alcohol poisoning
go home and play with parents' gun
step in front of a car

Don't say it could never happen...........

HomeDelivery

Don't ever sign for booze.

that's worse than what a temp driver did; he got an Indirect Sig from the neighbor... and didn't leave a doortag to notify the rightful owner as well

​i'll see if it comes back to haunt him on Tues (tues-sat work week)

i've also seen a temp Driver Released a small box of wine because he forgot it's ASR/DSR only... he took a the signed note off the door :smart:

jumpman23

Oh Yeah
Next time get next door neighbor to sign for it and leave a delivery notice stating you left it at the neighbors house. If you really want to be professional about it see if the box has a cell number and call customer and let them know, that kind of stuff goes along way with customers, and may net you a xmas bonus which never hurts lol.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Next time get next door neighbor to sign for it and leave a delivery notice stating you left it at the neighbors house. If you really want to be professional about it see if the box has a cell number and call customer and let them know, that kind of stuff goes along way with customers, and may net you a xmas bonus which never hurts lol.

Indirecting A8's is not allowed.

thatsmypackage

I learned to go to the house, knock on the door to see if anyone is home first before lugging heavy packages that need a sig. If they are home, I go back to the truck and get it... Or if you have a helper, let them do the leg work. :)