New package car "safety" feature?

icu

for who you are !
My only other scary moment in the ice was 2 years ago when i made a rookie mistake and got onto some ice on another long driveway and started to slide and pick up speed. The thought definitely crossed my mind to bail out of the truck. This was the last time i would make a mistake like that. Funniest thing was i needed a tow to get out, and they sent one of those huge tow trucks that can pull rigs to pull me back out of that driveway. My center manager said it was like a $700 tow. Oh well.

Is this when you acquired your screen name ?:wink-very:

Alexcross774

Spinning my wheels.
So we still have a good amount of snow and ice on the roads here. Today I discovered what I can only guess is supposed to be a safety feature on the package car I was in.

Car number 14 something. Don't know if that's a 1200 1300 or what but anyway that is what I was in. So I'm headed up a fairly steep snow/ice covered hill. Wheels start to spin but I'm still moving and I can see some bare pavement a little bit ahead. So hit the gas and keep it moving forward. All of a sudden it shuts off on me and starts rolling backwards!!!

Is this seriously a safety feature on the new package cars? If you start spinning the tires it just shuts off? I was lucky no one or nothing was right behind me. To me spinning even if only in place is better than barreling backwards down a hill.

Gas or Diesel?

You answered my question on it being an automatic. These newer pieces of equipment have all sorts of computer controlled/sensored areas that it doesn't take much for it to fail.
It sounds as when you broke traction either a rev limiter or trans protection sensor over acted to the point of stalling the motor. If you have that PC again find a slick area that is level and safe and try breaking traction again and see what happens. If it was a one time thing I'd still right it up for inspection. If it did it when you try that test then I'd red tag it until the source of the problem is found. New vehicles have computers that can be scanned to check for codes signifying a problem.

dritall1007

I had a similar problem where the vehicles check engine light came on and I lost all acceleration. Luckily I was not on a hill, but was on the highway and was unable to accelerate. Mechanics were unable to solve problem..yet the vehicle was not red tagged

8andout

So we still have a good amount of snow and ice on the roads here. Today I discovered what I can only guess is supposed to be a safety feature on the package car I was in.

Car number 14 something. Don't know if that's a 1200 1300 or what but anyway that is what I was in. So I'm headed up a fairly steep snow/ice covered hill. Wheels start to spin but I'm still moving and I can see some bare pavement a little bit ahead. So hit the gas and keep it moving forward. All of a sudden it shuts off on me and starts rolling backwards!!!

Is this seriously a safety feature on the new package cars? If you start spinning the tires it just shuts off? I was lucky no one or nothing was right behind me. To me spinning even if only in place is better than barreling backwards down a hill.[/quote

Sounds like traction control kicked in. It not only applies brake to the spinning wheel, it can also throttle back if the braking action does not slow the spin. Did the engine shut completely off requiring a restart? If so , this is not normal, not a design feature even if over revved.

You stated it rolled backwards down hill. Is it possible that it slid on the ice? just a thought.

Again, if the engine shut off completely, it needs to be addressed.

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
Sounds like traction control kicked in. It not only applies brake to the spinning wheel, it can also throttle back if the braking action does not slow the spin. Did the engine shut completely off requiring a restart? If so , this is not normal, not a design feature even if over revved.

You stated it rolled backwards down hill. Is it possible that it slid on the ice? just a thought.

Again, if the engine shut off completely, it needs to be addressed.
It shut off no power steering no power brakes had to restart it.

Indecisi0n

It really is times like these that test many of us. I can tell you my father would of likely freaked out thrown his hands in the air and possibly bailed out of the vehicle.

I grabbed the e-brake slammed it in park and only moved a few feet. Not that I've been trained to do it or anything it's just something you have or you don't.
I would have jumped out the drivers door as it rolled.