New package cars...

oldngray

nowhere special
Bring Marvin back.
hitchhiker dontpanicjpg.jpg

rod

Retired 22 years
I once, on purpose, stopped a State Trooper and had him write me a fixit ticket for an old P600 for dim headlights because the mechanic said that was the only style headlight he could get out of automotive supply. After I showed the ticket to the center manager I was allowed to petty cash a set of top of the line (at that time) halogen lamps that were like 5 times the cost of regular lights. I was the envy of the center with my new lights but none of the other trucks got them because they didn't get a ticket.

The rest of the story:

About a year or so later I was informed that my P-600 was going to be junked out. When they pulled it out of the line-up they white washed it and set it out back to await being hauled to the scrapyard. After work one night I rescued my halogen headlights and the chrome rings around them and put then in a 1972 Bronco I was driving at the time. The lights and trim rings fit perfectly. When I sold that I pulled the headlights out again. I still have them somewhere in my shop.

1BROWNWRENCH

Amatuer Malthusian
The rest of the story:

About a year or so later I was informed that my P-600 was going to be junked out. When they pulled it out of the line-up they white washed it and set it out back to await being hauled to the scrapyard. After work one night I rescued my halogen headlights and the chrome rings around them and put then in a 1972 Bronco I was driving at the time. The lights and trim rings fit perfectly. When I sold that I pulled the headlights out again. I still have them somewhere in my shop.
You should have taken the 5th. LP will be in touch.

Last edited:

cheeks

My pet peeves are..

The four-way flasher switches that are always in a stupid place like under the steering column. I mean we use the flashers at every stop all day...

The newer cars have this hideous alarm that goes off if the engine is off and either the lights are on or the ebrake is not set. I'm down with the ebrake alarm, but in the winter it gets dark very very early here and in most conditions I want to leave my car lit up while I walk off my DR. Make myself seen to avoid a hit-while-parked and also to illuminate the area a little bit during my stop. The only way to do this is to listen to this very loud alarm you can hear a block away. And if you do ignore the alarm because you think it's for the lights..there is an increased chance of rollaway if it was also going off for the ebrake not set (again, because it's the same alarm sound).

Our mechs say there is no way to bypass or turn off the headlight alarm. They tell me i should turn the headlights and running lights off at every stop and only have four-ways on. Really? Come deliver in the dark with me...
Seems that I set my switch to park lights, and delivered like that. I don't think the alarm goes off that way. . . Now i'm gonna try that Monday to verify that and I'll be wrong, lol

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

The rest of the story:

You told us earlier that you had used petty cash to pay for the headlights. Did you pay them back or did you just steal them?

rod

Retired 22 years
You told us earlier that you had used petty cash to pay for the headlights. Did you pay them back or did you just steal them?

Normally I wouldn't bother explaining something to someone who knows it all but here goes:---At that time we were allowed to spend our COD cash money on necessary things. Our COD turn in slips even had a line that said "minus petty cash expenses". It was no big deal. If for some reason we had bought something and we didn't have enough COD cash we could use our own money and get reimbursed latter that night from the receiving counter gal. Then she would in turn deduct it from her turn in. (are you following me Nancy?) As for "stealing" them later ---------yes I did ----so what? ---They were white washed over so I had to clean them up and were going to the scrapyard anyway. At my center anything in the dumpster or that was to be trashed was fair game. In my shop I still have many things I "salvaged" during my career. Apparently the BOG don't have the market cornered on "perks". I took the set of head lamps-- sue me.

Scottyhawk

What is it? A brown box. Duh
Seems that I set my switch to park lights, and delivered like that. I don't think the alarm goes off that way. . . Now i'm gonna try that Monday to verify that and I'll be wrong, lol
On some of the pc's you can lever off the dash lights and that will kill the alarm while the truck is off

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Normally I wouldn't bother explaining something to someone who knows it all but here goes:---At that time we were allowed to spend our COD cash money on necessary things. Our COD turn in slips even had a line that said "minus petty cash expenses". It was no big deal. If for some reason we had bought something and we didn't have enough COD cash we could use our own money and get reimbursed latter that night from the receiving counter gal. Then she would in turn deduct it from her turn in. (are you following me Nancy?) As for "stealing" them later ---------yes I did ----so what? ---They were white washed over so I had to clean them up and were going to the scrapyard anyway. At my center anything in the dumpster or that was to be trashed was fair game. In my shop I still have many things I "salvaged" during my career. Apparently the BOG don't have the market cornered on "perks". I took the set of head lamps-- sue me.

I am very familiar with using COD money to pay for work related stuff and putting the receipt in to the COD envelope. Where I become fuzzy is using COD money to buy headlights and then later stealing them for my personal use.

Just when I couldn't think any less of you you do something to make me lower the bar even further.

I would not have been proud to have worked alongside you.

PT Car Washer

In my building employees have been told many times that even taking home something you found in the trash would be considered theft. Car washer used to take home pop cans for the 5 cent deposit until LP told him to stop. Broke his heart as hunting for pop cans was a big part of his night.