New Package Cars

EAM_Master

Part-Time'er for Life!
It's kinda cool. I deliver to Morgan/Olson in Sturgis, MI. That's where all the new package cars are built. So I kinda get to check out all the new package cars when they first come out. What is funny is that our center hasn't gotten a new package car in over 4 years, even though we deliver to where they are built!

All of our new truck's will be P/S and automatic's from now on.[/quote]
Power who? Auto what? Next thing you know is they`ll let girls start driving them.:laugh:

rod

Retired 22 years
All of our new truck's will be P/S and automatic's from now on.
Power who? Auto what? Next thing you know is they`ll let girls start driving them.:laugh:[/quote]
power steering--- automatic's??? What's UPS hiring nowdays- a bunch of sissy bedwetters?:)

Cementups

Box Monkey
after starting my route with a P700 that was rear-ended by a tractor-trailer, I was granted one of the brand new P700's that came into our center. It was very nice. Even has battery post under the dash so that you can hook-up a radio with alligator clips. but a driver in a more more remote area than mine neede a newer truck due to his 10 year old Freightliner starting to break down more frequently. In turn they replaced my car with the following:

K790a065.jpg

P500. Dodge Sprinter/ Mercedes-Benz turbo 4-cyl. the box is actually about the same sizes the P700's but you lose about 3 feet of shelf space on the passenger side due to the slider door. It is just like driving your family minivan. It took a while of getting used to but I am starting to like it. Now if I could just get the aiur driver to stop taking i on long distance trips overnight. I even have my Sirius radio boombox hooked up to the 12v adapter so I can have my tunes while I am working.

scratch

Least Best Moderator
Staff member
Cementups, I have never seen anything like that. Is it a P5 or P7 and does it have a Bulkhead door? I always try to work out of my right side door, I can't imagine getting out and opening another door at every stop,

Cementups

Box Monkey
You did not have an accident you didn't report, when you knocked over that garbage can, did you?

I didn't hit the trash can. i swear to you that it was lying down when I got there. Plus it is about 5 feet away from my truck actually. but I have been known to relocate trash cans with my bumpers and side panels.

It is coded as a P5 but has the inside space of a P7. There is a bulkhead to go into the back and you can actually stand up in the cab. I'm 6'2" and have just enough space to stand up in the cab.

Miss Victoria

we have two of the p57 in plus 2 dodge sprinter p47's- the camper van style medium size and a baby size - they actually have amazing power for size but can be a little tight for space

crystal_ball

I went from the penthouse to the outhouse

I just recently got bid off my old route that had a brand new p7 freightliner with the rear doors that slide open. Now I drive a p8 with 450k miles. The exhaust fumes are all in the vehicle and when I write it up in the DVIR, the mechanic claims to tighten up the exhaust manifold (straight 6) but it doesnt really help. At 35-40 mph the tires are so out of balance that it makes you look like you are listening to rapp music. The foam in the seat is really wore down so I wrote that up and the mechanic said he would order a new one. My knees and back hurt almost every day. They know this. There is another p7 that sits out in the back lot unused. When I approached mgmt about utilizing this vehicle for my current route, they said that it was too small. Which IMO is a bunch of BS.

But on the upside it sure is nice going home for lunch!

DS

Fenderbender
I have heard that the engineers are going to design the next generation of Package Cars with wheelchair lifts and special hooks to hang our walkers on, these will be for those of us that are under the Central States Pension Plan. The Feeder Units will have them too!:laugh:
Even better scratch,this is a secret UPS prototype senior driver rover.Its a long walk to that school from the curb.

Lobofan5

Some of us girls drive MUCH better than some of the boys. Yes, even *gasp* stick shifts.

Sorry, I couldn't let that one slide without a response.