New peak driver helper: lazy driver

JakeD

If you want some physical work come backpack 20+ mi per day for a few weeks or bike 50-60mi at 20mph ;)

i find being a driver helper to be pretty easy physically. at the end of the day i'm more mentally tired from going around in circles all day and having my driver freaking out because our preloader screwed us over again with a crappy load.

digging through a package car like I'm Indiana friend'ing Jones on a quest to find the Holy Grail

LOL I actually had to pull my driver out from under the shelf today because he got stuck pulling out a missing package.

gingerkat

Well I was going to try to make it through with my original driver, but I had enough of his strange games with me. Now I'm working for the same hub but filling in for the three centers. I've worked for 4 different drivers now and 3 of them have requested me back so far. All I can say is that there are really good drivers and some bad.

I know it's hard for drivers to understand where the OP is coming from, but as a helper it seems that we are supposed to "help". I guess that is why so many of them bail the first few days or so. I think most try, but it isn't easy for someone without much strength or stamina.

I don't know, just my two cents...

Covemastah

Hoopah drives the boat Chief !!
maybe the OP could apply s a temp in NASA next time,,I'm sure he could help plan the next Moon landing for them !!

Rawrzxor

Just going to mention this again, I suppose: I don't complain. I'm faster than my driver, use the DIAD with ease, and take every box I'm given, politely.

I managed to injure my back, sprain my wrist and ankle, and still don't complain. I don't complain while my driver is whining about how many boxes we have. I don't complain.

He's said I'm the quickest helper he's had in years--out of shape and injuries all, and has offered to put a good word in for me.

So, based off of the few paragraphs I've written, you know me well enough to assume I wouldn't be able to pass the drivers test? Okay guy.

oldngray

nowhere special
The future of UPS will be drivers like him though. Work hard with little thought required, just follow ORION or later more "improved" dispatch systems.

Back first

Just going to mention this again, I suppose: I don't complain. I'm faster than my driver, use the DIAD with ease, and take every box I'm given, politely.

I managed to injure my back, sprain my wrist and ankle, and still don't complain. I don't complain while my driver is whining about how many boxes we have. I don't complain.

He's said I'm the quickest helper he's had in years--out of shape and injuries all, and has offered to put a good word in for me.

So, based off of the few paragraphs I've written, you know me well enough to assume I wouldn't be able to pass the drivers test? Okay guy.
So let me get this straight you have all these injuries in a span of working 3 weeks. I have been a driver for 14 years and if you were my helper and started to question my work habits. You bet your ass it would be your lady day with me. I love when someone from the outside says our job is do easy. Big difference working 3 weeks out of the year. I would love to hand over the keys and sit back and watch you :censored2: all over yourself.

OPTION3

as for the good word….I would tell you you are the POPE if it makes you go faster……after peak……what was his name?

Rawrzxor

Right, got it. Some people simply can't read a sentence correctly.

No doubt that solidarity with drivers revolves around telling everyone how difficult your job is and chastising anyone whom isn't a driver. Completely needless, thoughtless, and asinine.

Completely taking my words out of context and projecting your own bitchiness onto them.

For the 5th time, I'll add I'm *not* complaining. You all sound much more whiny in my perspective. I know a lot of you must be tired, and I understand the difficulty of the job as well as its simplicity, perhaps not first-hand, but I can extrapolate.

Thank you to the ones whom actually answered my question, I appreciate that all the more given the mountain of :censored2: the others are piling. I did get some good advice and information I wasn't aware of, thank you again.

Rawrzxor

And yes. I had been excessively inactive for 4 months prior to getting this job, due to being in the hospital. I've played numerous sports and am no stranger to physical work.

Once my body builds back up, I won't have any issues.

Rawrzxor

Also, to re-reiterate: I'm not directly questioning my driver--I was asking a question since my previous drivers were MUCH more active. In RELATION to those drivers, this driver is hella lazy. I wasn't sure whether this was me being taken advantage of, or if it was the discretion of the driver which decided how active the DH is. Thus, the reason for posting this.

The job title, 'Driver Helper' is a bit ambiguous, in this sense, as was previously mentioned.

They never told us how many boxes it was typical to move in orientation.

I don't give a :censored2: if I'm moving 500 boxes a day, by myself, as long as I KNOW how much work I am obligated to do, as I'm not going to bust my ass unnecessarily for 8.5/h.

dominguez7487

I've been a driver helper for 3 weeks now and I've been with about 4 drivers and so far they all seem to do their share of the stops except the last driver I've been working with. I've noticed since I started working with him that he makes me deliver the majority of packages while he sits in the truck. He delivers a package himself about every 8 to 10 stops and it's getting me more and more frustrated because I feel like he's taking advantage of me and making me do both mine and his stops. I've been sucking it up and not complaining about it but I feel like I'm gonna blow if he keeps making me do all the work every day while he just sits lazily in the truck

Marne Vet

Nah, you didn't complain, except the entire time you've been [here] about your driver. Have I taken your rants out of context? I don't see how. You're coming across as a cocky arrogant kid that is gonna pull a muscle soon from patting himself on the back so much. We get it. You run your rookie little butt off, you're "faster than your driver", but come here to bitch about the work you've been doing because you don't think it's fair? OK Captain Conundrum. Which is it? You don't complain, or, you complain about what you're being told to do, and what your role is on that package car? You're a Pack Mule. Get it? You're at the bottom of the lowest UPS totem pole. Most of us have done what you're doing, hated it, but got through it without standing on a Soap Box yelling to everyone about how awesome we were at being a seasonal helper. Are you looking for some gratification? No one cares how many stops you have to run-off for your driver(s). That's the job. Did you miss class the day they were telling you what your role was? I can't wait to let my helper read this tomorrow. I wanna see him laugh so hard he poops Skittles. Unreal kid. Seriously. You came here to complain about how unfair you think your "lazy" driver is treating you, then step to the podium to preach how much you don't complain. Dafuq? o_O

Marne Vet

Also, to re-reiterate: I'm not directly questioning my driver--I was asking a question since my previous drivers were MUCH more active. In RELATION to those drivers, this driver is hella lazy. I wasn't sure whether this was me being taken advantage of, or if it was the discretion of the driver which decided how active the DH is. Thus, the reason for posting this.

The job title, 'Driver Helper' is a bit ambiguous, in this sense, as was previously mentioned.

They never told us how many boxes it was typical to move in orientation.

I don't give a :censored2: if I'm moving 500 boxes a day, by myself, as long as I KNOW how much work I am obligated to do, as I'm not going to bust my ass unnecessarily for 8.5/h.

You can be instructed by your driver to move every single one of them, because that's the job. That is the obligation you enlisted for regardless of how much you're being paid. In reality kid, all you're doing is moving the stops from the truck to the door, but you're not driving, sorting, and moving those packages around inside the truck constantly re-organizing chaos. You STILL have the easiest job out there between you and the driver. Soon as you're cut in a week he still has to run 75% of what you're doing now, every day, week in and week out, until he retires. Think about that the next time you're patting yourself on the back for such an awesome FEW WEEKS of what we do for 30 years. smh

B

bowflex

I doubt you would make it through driver training.
I made it through driving training and questioned :censored2: along the way. I am a seasonal driver and was almost fired but explained to management that my SUP wasn't teaching me a damn thing. I asked them if I could go out with a driver that knew the route and did it on my own dime. They gave me one more day to prove myself and every since I have been coming in under scratch blah blah. My point to the OP is ask questions and make suggestions at your hub not on here. The people on here will talk :censored2: because they are behind a keyboard. If you don't like it change it. I cant believe I was actually running from the truck to each stop and still coming in late because my SUP didn't know what he was doing. Now I take lunch and don't even have to walk fast anymore. I hustle hard maybe 4 hours of the day and work at a normal pace 5 hours.

B

bowflex

One more thing to the OP. Just because these drivers have been at it for 10 plus years doesn't mean they know the best way to get the job done. My SUP is 1 year from retirement and wasn't able to show me in 6 days what a driver showed me in one. The driver may be efficient when working alone but may not know the best way to utilize your help.