New peak driver helper: lazy driver

Marne Vet

I made it through driving training and questioned :censored2: along the way. I am a seasonal driver and was almost fired but explained to management that my SUP wasn't teaching me a damn thing. I asked them if I could go out with a driver that knew the route and did it on my own dime. They gave me one more day to prove myself and every since I have been coming in under scratch blah blah. My point to the OP is ask questions and make suggestions at your hub not on here. The people on here will talk :censored2: because they are behind a keyboard. If you don't like it change it. I cant believe I was actually running from the truck to each stop and still coming in late because my SUP didn't know what he was doing. Now I take lunch and don't even have to walk fast anymore. I hustle hard maybe 4 hours of the day and work at a normal pace 5 hours.

You're welcome to join one of our PCM's if you'd like to hear this stuff in person. The drivers I know have no problem telling someone to their face that they're a baby/turd/runner/complainer/etc/etc/etc.

Marne Vet

There is not a helper in my center who would put up with that and I wouldn't blame them one bit.

Then your Center is full of pusillanimous helpers. Don't know what else to tell you. My helper IS doing this day in and day out, and the guy isn't complaining. We've had helpers quit. We expect it. We also found helpers that know their role and get it done. I did the job when I started. Hated it, but did it. I don't babysit helpers on my vehicle, wipe their nose when they get the sniffles, or change their tampons when the truck is blown-out. Stop making excuses for them. That's the job they signed up for. Don't like it? Enroll online with Devry and get a degree in Management.

upschuck

When I jumped one year, driver got sick half way through the day, and I set up truck, selected and ran everything off, all he did was drive. I'd tell him the next address and he'd go there. This was before edd, we back tracked a lot, but that is how the route was set up.

JakeD

my driver has 20 yrs.. he knows i'm faster to the doors than he is so he scans and sorts while i run packages. once we get some room i sort if he is in a business

if driver helping is tough physically then you're out of shape.

Marne Vet

If I were you helper and you "directed" me to deliver every single package you would be working by yourself by lunch.

Are you for real? Do you have any concept of real work? I do three times what my helper is doing sorting, driving, re-sorting, moving crap to the front etc. You think running stops back and forth is hard? I hope you're not having a heavy flow day or cramps right now. If you were my helper I'd fire you before my airs were done for being a baby.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Are you for real? Do you have any concept of real work? I do three times what my helper is doing sorting, driving, re-sorting, moving crap to the front etc. You think running stops back and forth is hard? I hope you're not having a heavy flow day or cramps right now. If you were my helper I'd fire you before my airs were done for being a baby.

Do I have any concept of real work? My helper and I did 235 stops and 480 packages today. When I got back to the bldg. I was asked to help out a seasonal driver who was in way over his head. I took 40 stops of base residentials off of him----did those in about 40 minutes. Punched out at 2000 and then met my son at Texas Roadhouse to use a gift card I received today for dinner. It is 9:55pm as I am typing this and I am beat.

Sarge, you couldn't keep up with me on my slowest day.

Marne Vet

Do I have any concept of real work? My helper and I did 235 stops and 480 packages today. When I got back to the bldg. I was asked to help out a seasonal driver who was in way over his head. I took 40 stops of base residentials off of him----did those in about 40 minutes. Punched out at 2000 and then met my son at Texas Roadhouse to use a gift card I received today for dinner. It is 9:55pm as I am typing this and I am beat.

That was the funniest thing you've ever said. You did 235 today? Need a squirt of Summers Eve to refresh you? I haven't seen a day under 250 yet, and we're averaging 275/day this Peak, but hey, if you need to brag about 235 I better just move aside and give you the spotlight.

upschuck

If I were you helper and you "directed" me to deliver every single package you would be working by yourself by lunch.

That seems odd, you are usually telling everyone how hard you work. Are you really Upstate?

Aaahhhh...you're back

Marne Vet

Helpers don't get taken advantage of. They're helpers. They do what we tell them to do, and that's it. This isn't an equal opportunity job when you're a helper. Do what your driver says. The end.

Catatonic

Nine Lives
Helpers don't get taken advantage of. They're helpers. They do what we tell them to do, and that's it. This isn't an equal opportunity job when you're a helper. Do what your driver says. The end.

Just like when supervisor tells a driver to do something.

Seems simple to me.