New Poster: Telemetics and ORION have made me a bettter driver

ArcherUTR

There I said it. Just trying to stir the pot a little.

At first I couldn't understand the Telemetics charts. Then over time, it wasn't so intense. Maybe they turned off/tuned out a few metrics. But since then...I wear my seat belt, I am very conscious of my backing, and I close my bulkhead door.

In regards to ORION, I'm in big city service road area. I think this helps since my businesses are one-way. Yes, ORION get's way too cute. It will spend five minutes to save 20tft. It has no regard for customer service, safety, lunch, pickup variability, magic u-turns, or old people having five minute conversations.

However, I am much more aware of my miles. Miles save on gasoline. I would at times in the past try to push myself farther away from my pickups or secretly enjoy when the center sent me instructions to run a lengthy misload. Not so much anymore. I try to keep my variance under 8 miles and above 90%. Then they pretty much have no need to talk to me before or after work.

It is pretty easy for me to put ORION back together and still do it my way and be over 90% compliance.

Last edited:

oldngray

nowhere special
Once you learn an area you should have that map in your head so you can easily calculate the shortest (or best if not shortest) ways without looking at a map or ORION.

ArcherUTR

Telemetics/Telematics...who gives a :censored2:?

Pretty much.

Kevin Spacing vis a vis the Mexican Presidente.

Last edited by a moderator:

TooTechie

Geek in Brown
bleh.jpg

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
There I said it. Just trying to stir the pot a little.

At first I couldn't understand the Telemetics charts. Then over time, it wasn't so intense. Maybe they turned off/tuned out a few metrics. But since then...I wear my seat belt, I am very conscious of my backing, and I close my bulkhead door.

In regards to ORION, I'm in big city service road area. I think this helps since my businesses are one-way. Yes, ORION get's way too cute. It will spend five minutes to save 20tft. It has no regard for customer service, safety, lunch, pickup variability, magic u-turns, or old people having five minute conversations.

However, I am much aware of my miles. Miles save on gasoline. I would at times in the past try to push myself away farther from my pickups or secretly enjoy when the center sent me instructions to run a lengthy misload. Not so much anymore. I try to keep my variance under 8 miles and above 90%. Then they pretty much have no need to talk to me before or after work.

It is pretty easy for me to put ORION back together and still do it my way and be over 90% compliance.
If ORION works for you and it makes sense to follow it, then by all means do so. It sounds like you are fortunate enough to have a workable ORION plan for your route. ORION does not work for me in any realistic sense so I shut it off and do the route the right way according to my 27 years of experience and 20+ years of area knowledge. To each their own.

As far as Telematics goes...it never bothered me because I never had anything to hide in the first place. The only thing that bugged me was the reams of paper copies that got printed out every day showing a satellite photo of the exact location where we might have moved 4 feet with the BH door open. People were just throwing them on the floor and they littered the building like confetti. The printouts have stopped since then, and no one has discussed a Telematics issue with me for a couple of years.

ArcherUTR

If ORION works for you and it makes sense to follow it, then by all means do so. It sounds like you are fortunate enough to have a workable ORION plan for your route. ORION does not work for me in any realistic sense so I shut it off and do the route the right way according to my 27 years of experience and 20+ years of area knowledge. To each their own.

As far as Telematics goes...it never bothered me because I never had anything to hide in the first place. The only thing that bugged me was the reams of paper copies that got printed out every day showing a satellite photo of the exact location where we might have moved 4 feet with the BH door open. People were just throwing them on the floor and they littered the building like confetti. The printouts have stopped since then, and no one has discussed a Telematics issue with me for a couple of years.

Orion for me makes about 80% sense, mostly because of DOL and creative tricks. It jumps the shark on allowance, lunch, pickups, and tricks to save 50ft.

In my center we never really had paper like that unless it was a missing package follow-up or if they were bent on trying to fire you.

soberups

Orion for me makes about 80% sense, mostly because of DOL and creative tricks. It jumps the shark on allowance, lunch, pickups, and tricks to save 50ft.

In my center we never really had paper like that unless it was a missing package follow-up or if they were bent on trying to fire you.
When we first got Telematics, they would print out a paper copy of every single "violation" complete with a satellite photo and map showing the exact location of the transgression. There were spewing the things out so fast that they ran out of printer ink and all the paper started blowing around in the wind and making a mess.

oldngray

nowhere special
UPS always generated tons of useless reports. I remember several years ago before Telematics and ORION every package driver had over 70 pages of reports generated daily. I don't know the current number but it has probably at least doubled.

The Other Side

Well-Known Troll
Troll
You gotta love the guys that cannot seem to calculate basic math and orion.

ORION may save a "particular" driver a mile or two during the day, but when the day is extended, how does that save the company money?

As we know, miles are added and route paid days extended.

IF a driver saves one mile a day but goes 1 our extra HR in overtime, where does the company save money?

1 gallon of diesel costs about 4.25 retail. Most Diesel pkg cars get approx 6 miles per gallon. So, if a driver saves one mile, the savings to UPS is approx .70 cents. The 1 hour of overtime will cost UPS $51.22

UPS pays $51.22 in extended OT and you minus the .70 cents in fuel savings and the company ends up spending an additional $50.52 everyday or $252.60 a week using ORION.

Gasoline cars (especially the new ones) get worse mileage. They are below 6 miles to the gallon depending on the weight of the pkg car going out.

This may sound like a childrens math problem in third grade, but even a third grader could figure out there is NO savings for the company using ORION.

TOS.

ArcherUTR

When we first got Telematics, they would print out a paper copy of every single "violation" complete with a satellite photo and map showing the exact location of the transgression. There were spewing the things out so fast that they ran out of printer ink and all the paper started blowing around in the wind and making a mess.

Serious question, not trying to be snarky...how does putting things in pre-record and then immediately going back into the delivery stop affect telematics? It seems to me to pretty much erase everything?

I could be wrong.

oldngray

nowhere special
Nothing ever gets erased but if you prerecord it will tag a new time for delivery and update GPS when you bring it back out of prerecord.

728ups

All Trash No Trailer
Im m ycenter it seems like 99% of the people who hate telematics and Orion are those who are used to busting it out,speeding,working unsafely ,and getting off in 8 hours or less. We old fat guys kinda like the new programs

Wally

BrownCafe Innovator & King of Puns
Better? Not better, but different for sure. For example, pre telemetics, I would back as needed.
Now, I try to roll back when possible. Same number of backs, just less on the report.

BigBrown3605

You gotta love the guys that cannot seem to calculate basic math and orion.

ORION may save a "particular" driver a mile or two during the day, but when the day is extended, how does that save the company money?

As we know, miles are added and route paid days extended.

IF a driver saves one mile a day but goes 1 our extra HR in overtime, where does the company save money?

1 gallon of diesel costs about 4.25 retail. Most Diesel pkg cars get approx 6 miles per gallon. So, if a driver saves one mile, the savings to UPS is approx .70 cents. The 1 hour of overtime will cost UPS $51.22

UPS pays $51.22 in extended OT and you minus the .70 cents in fuel savings and the company ends up spending an additional $50.52 everyday or $252.60 a week using ORION.

Gasoline cars (especially the new ones) get worse mileage. They are below 6 miles to the gallon depending on the weight of the pkg car going out.

This may sound like a childrens math problem in third grade, but even a third grader could figure out there is NO savings for the company using ORION.

TOS.

I had an oncar sup tell me, UPS will spend $5.00 to save $1.00.......

soberups

Im m ycenter it seems like 99% of the people who hate telematics and Orion are those who are used to busting it out,speeding,working unsafely ,and getting off in 8 hours or less. We old fat guys kinda like the new programs
Telematics and ORION are two different things.

Telematics monitors seatbelt usage, driving with the BH door open and vehicle speed among other things. Those of us who were already doing our jobs correctly weren't really affected by Telematics because we never had anything to hide in the first place.

ORION in many cases runs counter to safety and is little more than forced stupidity and the forced wasting of time and miles. Those of us who were already doing our jobs correctly are affected because we are being instructed to intentionally waste time, run up miles and piss off customers.