New Poster: Telemetics and ORION have made me a bettter driver

oldngray

nowhere special
Telematics and ORION are two different things.

Telematics monitors seatbelt usage, driving with the BH door open and vehicle speed among other things. Those of us who were already doing our jobs correctly weren't really affected by Telematics because we never had anything to hide in the first place.

ORION in many cases runs counter to safety and is little more than forced stupidity and the forced wasting of time and miles. Those of us who were already doing our jobs correctly are affected because we are being instructed to intentionally waste time, run up miles and piss off customers.

Telematics does force you to slow down to stay off the tattletale report. Like record while idle (shut off engine to stop complete even if a customer waves you off for example) and making sure seat belt is firmly fastened before attempting to start in case it didn't latch securely, etc.

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
The problem is the OP is worried about their reports.

I do my job safely by the book. Any reports printed out are for management. What do I care?

nocturnalbuck

we dont have orion. im a cover driver maybe 25 diff rtes. mostly winding hills areas with multiple ways to get to next stop. does orion tell you exactly which trace to take or just bring up next stop? am i gonna still look at map?

jaker

trolling
we dont have orion. im a cover driver maybe 25 diff rtes. mostly winding hills areas with multiple ways to get to next stop. does orion tell you exactly which trace to take or just bring up next stop? am i gonna still look at map?
You can see the route it wants you to take only on the computer at the hub

Once you get on route is when you are supposed to use better judgement to take the path it wants you to get to the next stop

30yearstolife

At first I couldn't understand the Telemetics charts. Then over time, it wasn't so intense. Maybe they turned off/tuned out a few metrics. But since then...I wear my seat belt, I am very conscious of my backing, and I close my bulkhead door.

In regards to ORION, I'm in big city service road area. I think this helps since my businesses are one-way. Yes, ORION get's way too cute. It will spend five minutes to save 20tft. It has no regard for customer service, safety, lunch, pickup variability, magic u-turns, or old people having five minute conversations.

However, I am much more aware of my miles. Miles save on gasoline. I would at times in the past try to push myself farther away from my pickups or secretly enjoy when the center sent me instructions to run a lengthy misload. Not so much anymore. I try to keep my variance under 8 miles and above 90%. Then they pretty much have no need to talk to me before or after work.

It is pretty easy for me to put ORION back together and still do it my way and be over 90% compliance.

What say you Brown Cafe?
:rofl: :bsbullf:

I say you are probably not a real driver.
Why would any driver want to understand "the Telemetics charts"? I don't know any that even looks at the Telematic reports.
Why would ORION have any effect on whether you want to break off farther away from pickups or enjoy running miss-loads?
This sounds like an ORION team manager, stating the attitudes they tried to get from drivers using ORION.
Only the problem is that ORION has had the opposite effect.
Drivers were insulted by the "ORION can manage your route better than you" attitude.
They KNEW they could manage the route better, so felt no need to try to beat it.
Instead ORION gives drivers an excuse to rack-up miles while working as directed. Or they just ignore ORION.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Why would any driver want to understand "the Telemetics charts"? I don't know any that even looks at the Telematic reports.

I look at the reports when they are posted as I have made a conscious effort to reduce my backs and eliminate any back first exceptions while keeping my miles at or near where they have always been.

jaker

trolling
I look at the reports when they are posted as I have made a conscious effort to reduce my backs and eliminate any back first exceptions while keeping my miles at or near where they have always been.
Because you are a awesome driver , sups must love you but we all know the center manager holds a special spot in your heart

JackStraw

You can see the route it wants you to take only on the computer at the hub

Once you get on route is when you are supposed to use better judgement to take the path it wants you to get to the next stop
Unfortunately you can only do this on YOUR time. I don't even know how to log into one of those things. Perhaps if they gave us time in the AM. Our local just told us they don't want anybody looking at the computers before their start time.