New PPADS...Ground and Express using the same unit.

bbsam

Staff member
For all I know, they may have stacks of these somewhere. Just walked by, glanced at it and thought, that's interesting. Didn't even put 2 and 2 together til a couple hours ago.

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
If it is a single piece of decking, then it most likely is a replacement piece for some location (not necessarily Express) that uses decking and needs to replace a section of decking rather than do repairs on individual rollers.

If you really want to be of "service", take a look at the shipping label and see where it is going to and if it is a part of a larger shipment. If it is going to an Express or other non-Ground location, then false alarm. If it is part of a larger shipment going to a Ground terminal, then that would be proof positive the trigger has been pulled.

Items like caster/roller decking are usually transported on flat bed trailers. They are stacked and rigged about 4 feet high, then loaded lengthwise on a flatbed - usually 3 stacks per trailer. A single flatbed can usually carry 1000 sq feet of decking quite easily. I'm not aware of Ground using flatbeds, but that doesn't mean anything.

It is when flatbed trailers with decking start showing up to Ground terminals that FedEx would be making a de facto open admission that conversion is imminent.

It's happening. I don't know if you saw any of the Ground trailers that were built 2 years ago that were air-only configured. A bunch of them showed up at Express ramps, stayed parked for a month or so, and then disappeared. My guess is that FedEx has them stored somewhere and that they will reappear after peak, which would seem very logical. Why else would Ground need roller-bed trailers?

Ricochet1a

It is clearly part of the building expansion. New conveyors, sort stands, load doors, etc. Been building it for several months.

Well, that is almost hard confirmation then. I like to get two independent sources before I'm satisified that something is "true", but I see no reason to doubt your observation on this - especially when it melds with other information I have.

The only "strange" thing is that you seem to suggest a single piece of decking... There needs to be about 20 or so for a complete functional roller deck to operate without jamming up with containers being rotated on and off line.

I'm still going to hold off on the rhetorical "told y'all so", but I sense it is only for an additional month or so.

Just too much is happening at once - any one thing can be explained, but when taken in totality, a "plan" is in motion.

1) Dispatch functions being unified.

2) De Facto hiring freeze of full-time Couriers in Express, while those open positions can be filled with part-timers without permission needed from district level. Getting a full-time replacement Courier from off the street is practically impossible - transfers allowed, but then losing location ends up hiring part-timer to replace - same net effect.

3). Rapid introduction of the new Mercedes "sprinter" vehicles to Express (about a vehicle per station per month). Doesn't seem like a lot, but over a couple of years, most stations would have a majority of these vehicles in their fleets.

4) First hand (from my point of view) accounts of the new sprinters being used to not only replace the old sprinters, but to pull W700 off the main belt parking areas.

5) Introduction of identical equipment for Ground and Express (scanners) - enabling duality of function with a single software upgrade.

6) Doing away with old performance review system in Express - replacement with a (as of yet) undefined, uniform pay increase defined by job category and either by district or region level.

7) Ground and Office managers being moved off salary and put on wage. Still no official word if Express will do same (there will be a rebellion if this does happen).

Any of these things taken singularily mean nothing. All occurring in rapid fire succession while taking into consideration information that has been leaked out - it is part of a deliberate business plan to yet again transform how FedEx operates internally.

Ricochet1a

Given the seemingly "suddenness" of the information regarding the roller decking (something that I stated almost two years ago would be the key indicator that the "plan" was being moved on) - I made a couple of quick calls - one to someone VERY knowledgeable with regards to how fast it would take to certify a union and another who is still in Express (to get an opinion as to what actions Express is taking with the jump in health care premiums for 2012).

For a company under the RLA (like Express) it would take a minimum of 4 months from the start of a HIGHLY organized union drive till enough signatures were collected to even consider getting a certification election done. Given that the IBT isn't going to go out on a limb at this stage for Express - the 4 month time span was the absolute shortest time it would take. Realistically, a year, given the glacial pace with which union rep cards have been coming in - and that is assuming a massive upsurge in people being willing to take the plunge - more or less. Unofficially, the IBT isn't looking to start an organizing drive in Express anytime soon. So unless Express really does something stupid in the next couple of months and shoots off their "corporate foot" - no real fear of unionization from Express' standpoint.

Given all the talk and activity, it is looking like Express is going to make a tenative effort to start the conversion sometime early next year, possibly spring. There is no way a union could be certified in that time period, especially given that there has been practically no motion in that direction as of yet.

As far as the jump in premiums in health coverage - it seeems Express is concerned, but not worried. They put out a video "explaining" all of the changes (using the term "contributions" instead of "premiums") to describe how employees' out-of-pocket expenses were going to go up rather significantly, especially for those who are married without children (describes many part-timers in Express).

I believe that Express isn't too worried about the wage employees (excepting the mechanics), in regards to health care costs increasing. I wasn't able to get a firm number with regard to what the mechanics will be receiveing in terms of a pay raise in the coming year. It does appear that there are no hard numbers for pay raises for next March at all right now, Express is holding out for both results of peak to come in and to see if there is any movement among the wage employees to organize before they commit to a number it seems.

If there is indeed movement to get equipment in place at Ground terminals to handle Express cargo containers, they can be processing non-overnight volume within 4 to 6 months easily (coincides with the end of the FY...).

So at this point, it is most likely too late to organize to prevent Express from pulling off their plan (what I was afraid of all along and predicted Express would manage to pull off by keeping their corporate mouth shut).

If there are others who have access to other Ground terminals, they need to chime in on whether or not they see building remodeling being done and roller decking being installed. I said it two years ago and I'll repeat it, the installation of caster/roller decking is the KEY indicator that FedEx is about to switch the delivery of non-overnight volume over to Ground.

As it has been pointed out, the surge in temp drivers in Ground for the peak season will give the new ISP operators enough manpower to fill out additional permanent routes when the Express volume eventually moves over. I've already run the numbers on this forum as to what percentages that would entail (Ground could handle it easily with minor expansion - the boost in drivers from peak would be the PERFECT lead-in for a permanent expansion).

vantexan

I've tried to pass this info on to coworkers, trying to make them aware and to begin preparing for a possible scenario of less hours. There's alot of disbelief out there. I'm a quack. In all honesty if people were concerned about their future, believed that FedEx might actually take advantage of them, you'd think there'd be more participants on this forum. If we had thousands participating instead of dozens word would spread very quickly about the need to protect ourselves. Way too much apathy. And considering the reaction of some coworkers I really don't care. Of course I have the luxury of being older, not far from retirement. But if people refuse to see the train bearing down on them until it's too late then they have no one else to blame. You can lead a horse to water...

DOWNTRODDEN IN TEXAS

I'm in the same position van, I tell people and they just say things like "FedEx would NEVER do that!. They can't, they're a PEOPLE company!!" They started listening a little more when I told them about the reviews going away and the cost of insurance going up weeks before management said anything.

The few looking out for the good of the many, that's what we are.

Myort

I guess the big question is, what is going to happen to full-time couriers? Call me naive, but FedEx would suffer a massive P.R. hit, especially in this day with all of the protests against corporate greed, if they were to just displace lots of full-time couriers and force them to part-time status. My guess is, they will try to avoid this.

As someone who has worked in hub ops and knows how inbound ramp ops works, it would be difficult to get every single piece of XS and E2 volume divereted out. Lots of exceptions happen, and lots of it finds its way to the overnight sorts and mixed into pure station cans at the hubs. During night sorts, hubs build containers for each station that is served by that ramp so when the plane gets there, most freight can be put straight onto CTV trucks to the stations.

The move to sprinter vans is kind of a logical, economical thing. Truth is, many routes can be run out of a sprinter van and don't need a W700 truck. 10 years ago, fuel wasn't nearly as expensive.

Ballmats at ground facilities does appear suspicious. Unless they plan on sending containers within the ground system, which by the way is much faster than bulk loaded trailers. You can take 5 containers off of a truck, put them online and unload them all at the same time. Also, you can sort the trailer 5 different ways using containers.

The time to get very suspicious is when they come in one day and say "We are currently overstaffed, but there is an opening at <station across town>. That will be when you know that they are looking to hold down the ranks of couriers.

franknitty

Guys ? Do you mind if I talk loud for just a minute ? Here we go : I'M NOT TELLING THOSE SMART ASS, THINK THEY KNOW IT ALL COURIERS A DAMN THING AT MY STATION ! There. I'm done. I guarantee you, the idiots at my station are going to go in panic mode ASAP ! Why ? Because NOW, they want to start worrying about their jobs, now that these changes are in motion ! Most of the couriers I work with are a bunch of brown nosed crybabies, who if they can't get their way, they will STAB YOU IN YOUR BACK ! I can't wait until this shhh hits the fan at our station, because you know what are going to say to them while laughing in their faces ? "I'm calling my union steward" ! Oh wait ? Fedex doesn't have a union. ROFLMAO !

upsyo

Express doesn't have a "gateway" at the MLI airport. They truck the cans in from Cedar Rapids I believe and maybe somewhere else.

I'm not going to come right out and state a "told you all so" (regarding movement of delivery of volume over to Ground), but I'm damn close to now... Too much is happening just too quickly.

For a location to operate caster/roller decking efficiently, there needs to be about 1000 sq ft minimum of decking, with provision for rapidly removing empty cargo containers to either a roller bed trailer, or dollies equipped for transporting cargo containers.

If there are at least 20 of those 10x5 foot sections present at the location, then this will be the final proof positive that FedEx is pulling the trigger on moving the delivery of non overnight volume over to Ground. There has NEVER been any use by Ground of cargo containers for movement of volume within the lower 48, so having a sort facility in the middle of the country (Moline, Davenport, Rock Island, Bettendorf) having caster/roller decking installed can't be explained away with any other possibility.

If anyone is really interested in persuing this further, find out what equipment Express flies into MLI (aircraft equipment). The type of equipment will tell how much volume is moving into the Quad Cities area. Would also need to know if there is a CTV moving non-overnight volume into MLI from MEM and IND to accurately gauge the volume.

With this data, determining the square footage of decking needed to handle the volume would be quite easy.

What is uncertain is whether Express plans to still perform PM ramp sorts (to break volume down to specific Ground terminal) or to institute new ASTRA coding to enable the hubs to build cans specifically tailored to each Ground terminal. I suspect that Express would start off by continuing to have PM ramp sorts utilized to break out volume to Ground terminals that will be "served" by the Express ramp. Time is of the essence at the hubs - the PM ramp sorts have plenty of time to play around with - can't have the hubs get jammed up trying to work with splitting out cargo even more finely than they already do.

On a completely unrelated topic, I'm finding that either BC or my browser is having extreme difficulty of late in functioning. I suspect that either my anti-virus is having issues (I've had my browser session close down on accessing BC of late) or that BC is having issues. I've had no like issues with other web sites. If no one else is having issues, then it is my anti-virus - if others are experiencing the same issues, then BC is having some problems.

bbsam

Staff member
Everyone can relax (for now). False alarm. The piece that I saw is very similar to the "ball mat" and serves the same basic function. They are pieces of the conveyor system that transition between conveyor belt and rollers at 90 degree angles. Sorry about the confusion.

Ricochet1a

I guess the big question is, what is going to happen to full-time couriers? Call me naive, but FedEx would suffer a massive P.R. hit, especially in this day with all of the protests against corporate greed, if they were to just displace lots of full-time couriers and force them to part-time status. My guess is, they will try to avoid this.

As someone who has worked in hub ops and knows how inbound ramp ops works, it would be difficult to get every single piece of XS and E2 volume divereted out. Lots of exceptions happen, and lots of it finds its way to the overnight sorts and mixed into pure station cans at the hubs. During night sorts, hubs build containers for each station that is served by that ramp so when the plane gets there, most freight can be put straight onto CTV trucks to the stations.

The move to sprinter vans is kind of a logical, economical thing. Truth is, many routes can be run out of a sprinter van and don't need a W700 truck. 10 years ago, fuel wasn't nearly as expensive.

Ballmats at ground facilities does appear suspicious. Unless they plan on sending containers within the ground system, which by the way is much faster than bulk loaded trailers. You can take 5 containers off of a truck, put them online and unload them all at the same time. Also, you can sort the trailer 5 different ways using containers.

The time to get very suspicious is when they come in one day and say "We are currently overstaffed, but there is an opening at <station across town>. That will be when you know that they are looking to hold down the ranks of couriers.

BBsam has already clarified that what he saw was part of a conveyor system and not floor decking, so no alarm as of yet. I was a bit shocked, since I'm confident that I would've heard that massive orders for decking were being placed by FedEx Corp (access to source in purchasing).

On to Myort....

Full time Couriers that work in areas with 10:30 P1 commit will be eventually converted to part-time status - it's going to happen, it is all a matter of when FedEx decides to pull the trigger. The business plan has been in existance for years now. FedEx won't suffer a bit from any negative PR - they'll make in the changes in stages and let the Couriers quit on their own. There will still need to be swing Couriers in these stations, along with a few full timers to provide a "base" of experience, but the trend is to slash costs whereever possible. Full-time Couriers for Express are an added liablity for the company - part-timers come and go and have very low expectations of the job.

They'd start off by reducing all full-timers that are in affected routes to minimums - 35 hours a week. Most of these Couriers are used to working 45-50 hours a week, so their pay is close to 50-55 hours a week after overtime.

How many Couriers would hang around for more than a year taking a 30-35% reduction in their gross? In this economy, they would hang on, still suffering from the delusion that FedEx does indeed "care" about them. Once reality sunk in, they'd start looking for other work. If for some unknown reason they started signing union cards at this time, FedEx would lock them out. Even getting union cards signed is something the Courier craft has been very resistant to, do you really thing they'd organize an illegal walkout (the RLA is specifically crafted to prevent walkouts - illegal strikes - and even has teeth to have court ordered return to work orders).

Express would experience a slow but steady natural attrition (voluntary termination), since most Couriers couldn't take such a permanent cut in their compensation.

You may have worked in Hub operations, but I can tell you aren't versed in the planning side of logistical movement.

Yes, there are plenty of "execeptions" - who ever said that Express would be "prohibited" from delivering non-overnight? What has been repeatedly said, is that the primary (97%+) volume of non-overnight would be delivered by Ground. If the hubs miss a few pieces during the DAY sort (when non-overnight is sorted), then it would merely be forwarded during the night operation and moved to an Express station for delivery attempt - no big problem. Since Express and Ground will be operating identical equipment and software (scanning devices), having an odd piece of non-overnight to handle won't cause any disruption to how the world revolves.

MEMH is (working from memory) the only hub that regularily builds pure cans for destination stations, and during the day sort, very few pure cans are built (I've spent way too much time looking at FDRs). I'd estimate that MEMH builds only about 20% pure positions (station specific), and everything else is mini-sort for the ramps to break down in their PM sorts.

Non-Express ops in the lower 48 do NOT use cargo containers. Volume is moved bulk, the trailer is downloaded, sorted and then volume is reloaded into trailers to continue to destination. Air Cargo uses cargo containers for one (primary) reason - TIME. Volume can be sorted and then moved without actually needing a "bucket line" of handlers loading aircraft - having a mass of volume waiting to be bulk loaded. An entire aircraft's volume (excluding 727's) can be sitting and waiting for access to an aircraft. 90,000 pounds of freight can be loaded in the space of an hour and the plane closed up and pushed back - can't possibly do that with bulk loaded volume in air cargo ops.

Aircraft can land (MD10/11), be unloaded and reloaded in a little as two hours if needed (done it many times). This is only possible by using cargo containers. Cargo containers add additional weight to an aircraft (about 18-20,000 lbs for a MD10 of just container weight - 18 J's, 8 Demis, 16+LD3s), but the time savings in handling the volume is more than worth the additional penalty in terms of fuel burn and "lost" weight capacity.

As far as your last statement - it has already happened. Couriers in overstaffed locations are being sent to locations which are short staffed, and working there (being put up in hotel rooms and given per diem).

The writing is on the wall. Whether you choose to realize that Express is about to undergo yet another significant reorganization (DGO side) is up to you. As others on this forum have said, those who know the change are coming have already made alternative plans or resigned themselves that their career is about to come to a close if they are in an affected market (10:30 P1 commit area). What you do, is up to you.

55+

Don't know if any of you read the retirement change as of Feb 1st 2012..this could be part of the changeover as well...The Social Security Leveling option for 62 and 65 has been eliminated..Fedex stated that it caused confusion(yeah right) The leveling option of 62 allows for a larger monthly amount given to early retirees under the assumption that that retiree will begin taking their SS at 62 (but not required). The only option available now is the "regular" age in which one qualifies for SS. In my case that would be 67..So for example if I got fed up next year and decided to retire early instead of getting over 1000.00 a month until age 62 (and then almost nothing after that) I would get only about 700.00 a month until age 67 ( and then nothing after that). This would certainly help keep the pension plan funded and could be part of this whole changeover since perhaps many of the older couriers who aren't yet 60 but over 55 or close might decide to retire early and start taking their pensions while looking for something else...just a thought

Ricochet1a

Had a phone call come in after the inquiries of a couple of days ago...

It appears that Express is replacing W700s with the Mercedes sprinters - deliberately.

Stations are having fully operational W700's pulled and replaced with the new sprinters.

In many instances, the senior managers are protesting (loudly in many cases) that they need the W700's rather than the sprinters, because the internal volume capability of the sprinters is insufficient given the volume of the freight on particular routes.

In the midst of all the route planning and replanning that has been going on, no consideration was given to actual cubic footage utilzed by routes (only consideraton to piece count). Or has it????

Has consideration been made as to the future volume requirements of vehicles?

On its own, this can be chalked up as just poor planning by Express.

However, if taken in conjunction with the other information out there....

Why is Express replacing the W700s (which are fully operational) with sprinters at such a rapid rate?

If this has been thought through by Express planning, then either they are anticipating a rapid crash in total volume, or they are anticipating a reduced requirement for Express to have as many large delivery vehicles as are currently in the inventory...

Myort

At our station, we will always need W700's for many of our pickup routes. Many routes come back completely packed.

bbsam

Staff member
At our station, we will always need W700's for many of our pickup routes. Many routes come back completely packed.
our P1000s and P1200s should be able to handle those easily. Hmmm. Maybe it begins with pickups rather than deliveries.

Ricochet1a

Let me be a little less subtle...

If FedEx operations planning is pushing to get rid of W700s, there is some reason for it.

One could assume that they are looking only at decreasing piece counts and then make the mental leap that they are assuming that smaller, more fuel efficient vehicles are the way to go. Fewer pieces, less volume needed, more fuel efficient vehicles - that could be one line of logic...

On the other hand...

If they anticipate needing fewer W700s, because sometime in the future the majority of delivery routes won't be lugging around bulky non-overnight volume, then the proportion of W700s to Sprinters in the stations can be altered - altered to maintain fewer W700s than currently exist - to be used for PU routes that need them along with bulk delivery routes. W700s can be phased out and newer fuel efficient Sprinters can be brought on line quickly - especially considering the current tax advantages in purchasing equipment and depreciating it very quickly (reducing tax liability).

The reason for the posting, isn't that Express is purchasing Sprinters - everyone that works in a station sees that first hand (and those who are told about the influx of Sprinters). The reason is that senior management is fighting Express planning over the problems of having needed assets (the W700s) pulled out of service when there is CURRENT volume that can only be moved efficiently by teh W700s.

My opinion on this....

Senior management is looking at their daily needs and screaming that the alteration in the proportion of vehicles in the stations is causing them problems. If many in senior management aren't aware of what I and others believe to be a pending change in the method of operations of Express (shifting of volume over to Ground), that is telling.

There are two possibilities....

First, operations planning is screwing up and assuming that decreased piece counts means they can alter the proportion of vehicles in the stations - more so than can really be feasible.

The other possibility is that planning knows a change is in the wind, and has altered the vehicle proportion allocation for stations to reflect FUTURE needs - rather than continue with current vehicle proportions. Given the current tax advantages to purchasing equipment, it makes sense to make the alteration in vehicle allocation proportion NOW, rather than wait and lose some tax liability reductions.

It is one or the other...

If there was no other information out there, I'd err on the first assumption - Express planning is being over ambitious with their vehicle purchases and in the choice of vehicle type.

I don't think that is the case. You can decide which is a more plausible explanation.

vantexan

If they're getting rid of W700's wouldn't that support the idea that Ground will handle the pickup, transport, and delivery of P2 with Express only transporting the freight that couldn't be trucked in time through the Ground system? And I wish for extended areas with light freight they'd consider the Ford Transit Connect.

Ricochet1a

If they're getting rid of W700's wouldn't that support the idea that Ground will handle the pickup, transport, and delivery of P2 with Express only transporting the freight that couldn't be trucked in time through the Ground system? And I wish for extended areas with light freight they'd consider the Ford Transit Connect.

Ground CAN'T pickup volume which will travel by air.

They don't have air cargo qualified DG agents to inspect DG and "screen" for non-declared DG (I know, use of the word "screen" is a joke, but it is a part of FAA requirements). They don't train their people to inspect air cargo containers for loading (don't need to inspect a can to unload it through....). If a Ground delivery driver were to process an airbill, Fred's whole rationale of keeping the Express Couriers under RLA would vanish INSTANTLY. Ground cannot touch Express product until AFTER it arrives at its destination ramp and is no longer considered "air cargo".

Fred needs to keep Express SOLIDLY under RLA classification requirements to make unionization next to impossible, so he can only go so far as to the use of non-Express employees. Once the volume arrives at the destination ramp - the FAA requirements are lifted once the volume leaves the ramps - it is no longer "air cargo". Express merely provides the additional "service" in delivering the volume to the customers' loading dock or door step - saving them the trip to the airport to pick up their former "air cargo". This is part of the whole "hub bub" about Express Couriers being misclassified under RLA - they drive trucks and don't work aircraft - so why are they classified under RLA and not NLRB?

If Ground delivery drivers were to process a single airbill, FedEx could no longer argue that Express Couriers should be covered under RLA rules - even a Republican Congress would pull the RLA status from Express non-aircraft crafts and Fred would have the IBT in his front yard.

Again....

Express will PU ALL volume that is marked as "Express" product - regardless of the commitment time.

Express will move ALL volume which is Express product (overnight, 2nd and 3rd day) volume through the AGFS system - no alterations planned there. The only possibility is for CTVs between hubs and ramps and those between ramps that carry non-overnight volume, they MAY be shifted over to Ground vehicles for transport (semi's with Ground markings and Ground employee drivers operating them).

I've NEVER heard that this is in planning though, and would strongly doubt Express would do it. There isn't that great of a disparity of compensation between Express RTDs and Ground semi drivers (Ground semi drivers are covered under NLRB and are employees of FedEx, they could unionize in a heart beat if they wanted - thus they aren't paid the crud wages that the delivery drivers are paid).

The cost savings for FedEx is solely between the differential between Express Couriers and Ground deliver truck drivers - that is where Fred will make his $100 million annual savings in labor compensation.

Going off topic - my browser is crashing every time I pull up BC over the past few days. BC comes up fine after my browser restarts. If anyone else is having this problem, please state so. No other website is causing this problem and my anti-virus isn't indicating any problems with BC.