New PPADS...Ground and Express using the same unit.

LTFedExer

Interesting is right. I'm waiting for a Purple suck-up to get on here and tell us that we are a critical national resource that would spell doom for the American economy if we were to ever go on strike.
The world wouldn't stop if FedEx went under. I doubt anyone here is deluded that it would.

And I'm waiting to find out why you still work for a company you despise.

SmithBarney

Express CRR finding ground at a drop box have no choice but to take them
can't refuse to take it(that is why there is the exception in the pup screen)

At a customer location, Express CRRs cannot take ground, and it has to do with contractors who get paid per piece..
they started suing FedEx because "we were taking their income" So most Express stations were given the directive
to not touch Ground Packages, and to inform customers to say "GROUND" when scheduling a pickup.

Unfortunately it can take several days before Ground will actually show up. And some express couriers will take Ground
pieces after they've seen them 3-4days in a row.

Mr. 7

The monkey on the left.
Unfortunately it can take several days before Ground will actually show up. And some express couriers will take Ground
Yup,
And an express dude definitely can scan a ground pkg. out of a drop box. Exactly like R1a said.

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
The world wouldn't stop if FedEx went under. I doubt anyone here is deluded that it would.

And I'm waiting to find out why you still work for a company you despise.

I'll be downgrading to PT FO driver very soon, and out not long after that. If you're familiar with Bob Brinker's "critical mass", I'm very nearly there. Nice to see that you are so concerned about me. Just like Fred.

LTFedExer

I've taken them after 2-3 days. The customer tells me 'I called, but they don't show up'.
I'll be downgrading to PT FO driver very soon, and out not long after that. If you're familiar with Bob Brinker's "critical mass", I'm very nearly there. Nice to see that you are so concerned about me. Just like Fred.
Not concerned, just curious.

Ricochet1a

The same person that verified that the Ground pickup PUX is present in the powerpad checked today to see if that same PUX is available for non-dropbox stops.

It isn't.

The PUX for Ground is only available when the stop is opened as a dropbox - not as a regular or oncall stop.

He did check on the pieces he scanned and they needed no further scans before they were retreived by a Ground driver at the Express station - so the scans he placed on the pieces were indeed revenue generating scans.

No one was aware that this PUX existed, not even the managers at the station it appears.

While this gives Express a way to clear drop boxes of Ground volume, it doesn't change the fact that RLA classified employees are engaged in movement of non-express pieces. Given that Fred has his RLA status secured for the next 6+ years (until another Democrat controlled Congress and President potentially occurs), nothing is going to change becuase of this, since politics and not administrative procedure is what is keeping Express under RLA.

Still, I'd have to recommend that you scan every Ground package you can get your hands on. If there is going to be issues from this arising, might as well force the issue with a flood of Courier PUP-ed Ground volume.

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
The same person that verified that the Ground pickup PUX is present in the powerpad checked today to see if that same PUX is available for non-dropbox stops.

It isn't.

The PUX for Ground is only available when the stop is opened as a dropbox - not as a regular or oncall stop.

He did check on the pieces he scanned and they needed no further scans before they were retreived by a Ground driver at the Express station - so the scans he placed on the pieces were indeed revenue generating scans.

No one was aware that this PUX existed, not even the managers at the station it appears.

While this gives Express a way to clear drop boxes of Ground volume, it doesn't change the fact that RLA classified employees are engaged in movement of non-express pieces. Given that Fred has his RLA status secured for the next 6+ years (until another Democrat controlled Congress and President potentially occurs), nothing is going to change becuase of this, since politics and not administrative procedure is what is keeping Express under RLA.

Still, I'd have to recommend that you scan every Ground package you can get your hands on. If there is going to be issues from this arising, might as well force the issue with a flood of Courier PUP-ed Ground volume.

I know this has been mentioned before, but Ground is still moving on Express aircraft, and Express is still moving on Ground trucks. I realize that Express can claim to "pay" Ground for services rendered, but let's say that rate is unrealistically low and not even close to what Express would have to pay out-of-network so to speak. To be legal, wouldn't Express have to pay a competitive rate? Also, my local friends at Ground are saying that there is tarped material at their facility that they believe may be ballmats. The facility is being enlarged, so maybe it's "transition" ballmat as mentioned by bbsam, or maybe not.

Ricochet1a

I know this has been mentioned before, but Ground is still moving on Express aircraft, and Express is still moving on Ground trucks. I realize that Express can claim to "pay" Ground for services rendered, but let's say that rate is unrealistically low and not even close to what Express would have to pay out-of-network so to speak. To be legal, wouldn't Express have to pay a competitive rate? Also, my local friends at Ground are saying that there is tarped material at their facility that they believe may be ballmats. The facility is being enlarged, so maybe it's "transition" ballmat as mentioned by bbsam, or maybe not.

What one opco pays another for "contracted services" is entirely up to the opcos. In the case of FedEx, it is up to FedEx Corporation. In theory, one FedEx opco could pay $1 for a service performed by another opco - and there is nothing technically wrong. Now I very seriously doubt something as obvious as this is done, but there isn't a requirement for opcos of a holding corporation to pay a "market rate" for contracted services.

Now, if the opcos had separate stock issued for them - then yes, the company management of each opco would have a fiduciary responsibility to their stockholders to maximize THEIR company profit - therefore the best deal for contracted services would need to be sought. Since FedEx has a single stock, with multiple operating companies under that single stock - cash can be moved around, and there is nothing "illegal" about it. Cash is moved from one pocket to another, and the overall FedEx Corporation balance sheet shows no net change. This is one of the reasons it amazes me that people don't believe that the business model of Express (DGO in particular), can be radically changed in the future. Have one opco "contract" out to another, move cash around, move service around - and it is all perfectly legal. As long as doing so doesn't violate any procedural regulations (specifically FAA in the case of Express), all is good.

Many in Express may find it difficult to believe, but they are the highest compensated individuals within the FedEx operating companies for the work they do. Compare what someone in Office makes to a CSA in Express. Compare what a handler in Ground makes in total compensation to that of a handler in Express. Compare what a Courier in Express makes to what a driver in Ground makes - or what a local delivery driver for Office makes. People in Express KNOW that they make LESS than what UPS employees make, but WITHIN the constellation of FedEx Corporation, they are the highest compensated employees for the tasks they perform and level of responsibility they possess.

FedEx Corporation obviously knows this, and therefore the reason to move as many functions as possible OUT from under Express and have them "contracted" for by other FedEx opcos -which inevitably have lower compensation levels, and therefore would offer an even greater competitive advantage for FedEx. Even though this stays within the letter of the law, the intent is clearly circumvented.

FedEx recently moved the managers of the Office stores under FedEx Services (they are employees of Services). Does FedEx Office "pay" FedEx Services the EXACT value of the compensation for the store managers they "contract" for? Who knows.

What is undisputable, is that when Federal Express became FedEx Express and FedEx Corporation popped into existance, cash was moved from Express to the new Corporation, then Corporation used that cash to acquire existing companies (RPS, Kinkos, etc) and brought them under the FedEx Corporation umbrella. Those companies continued to receive cash infusions, till they were self sufficient. Express was used as the cash cow to start all of these companies. The shareholders of FedEx were "done right", since the value of the holding corporation increased over time (we'll forget about all those screw-ups, like the writedown for Kinkos, when that name was retired).

The issue for the employees of Express, is that the "retained earnings" (cash) of Express was used to start other companies. Nothing illegal about that obviously, but that cash that in theory, should've been available as wage increases and bonuses for Express employees - since they played a large part in creating that cash. When Express had reached market saturation with its business model in the late 90's, the cash that was available as a result of that success was used by Fred to enter into new ventures - not disbursed to the shareholders of Express or used to pay compensation above "market level" to the Express employees which were responsible for creating that success.

FedEx has a growth strategy - the primary contributors of capital to enable that growth were the Express employees (1990's through about 2004). Now, the opcos are technically self sufficient and are able to generate cash for FedEx Corporation, which will inevitably find some other businesses to acquire.

As with all holding corporations that have centralized management and a single stock listed, they will expand beyond their technical competence eventually. The functional specialization of what was once Federal Express, can only be applied to so many business models (they almost blew it with Kinko's, which is outside the area of expertise of the employees of what was an air cargo business). FedEx has completely transformed what was once Kinko's, to the point where one cannot make a connection between Kinkos that existed in the 1980s and early 90's, to what exists now as FedEx Office.

Kevinmevin

This may not mean anything but a "Air Restricted Materials" list poster got put up next to some of our load doors at my ground hub. You would think we wouldn't need to know that at a ground hub.

bbsam

Staff member
This may not mean anything but a "Air Restricted Materials" list poster got put up next to some of our load doors at my ground hub. You would think we wouldn't need to know that at a ground hub.
yes we do. Just today we sent back some boxes to the shipper because alaska is serviced by air.

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
yes we do. Just today we sent back some boxes to the shipper because alaska is serviced by air.

Alaska Ground does move via Express, however, it does raise some eyebrows. Seen any ballmats yet? My local ground guy swears that they are ready to install them at his terminal. I want him to take a picture of what's under the tarping at the construction site, but he won't do it.

vantexan

Alaska Ground does move via Express, however, it does raise some eyebrows. Seen any ballmats yet? My local ground guy swears that they are ready to install them at his terminal. I want him to take a picture of what's under the tarping at the construction site, but he won't do it.

I'm getting the impression that if they're going to do this they'll wait until the last possible moment to keep speculation down.

Kevinmevin

Have not seen any ball mats yet but I'm gonna keep a really good eye out on whats going on with our expansion. I'm at one of the top Ground hubs so I think I would see something if something is indeed is going to happen.

vantexan

Ground CAN'T pickup volume which will travel by air. They don't have air cargo qualified DG agents to inspect DG and "screen" for non-declared DG (I know, use of the word "screen" is a joke, but it is a part of FAA requirements). They don't train their people to inspect air cargo containers for loading (don't need to inspect a can to unload it through....). If a Ground delivery driver were to process an airbill, Fred's whole rationale of keeping the Express Couriers under RLA would vanish INSTANTLY. Ground cannot touch Express product until AFTER it arrives at its destination ramp and is no longer considered "air cargo".

Fred needs to keep Express SOLIDLY under RLA classification requirements to make unionization next to impossible, so he can only go so far as to the use of non-Express employees. Once the volume arrives at the destination ramp - the FAA requirements are lifted once the volume leaves the ramps - it is no longer "air cargo". Express merely provides the additional "service" in delivering the volume to the customers' loading dock or door step - saving them the trip to the airport to pick up their former "air cargo". This is part of the whole "hub bub" about Express Couriers being misclassified under RLA - they drive trucks and don't work aircraft - so why are they classified under RLA and not NLRB?

If Ground delivery drivers were to process a single airbill, FedEx could no longer argue that Express Couriers should be covered under RLA rules - even a Republican Congress would pull the RLA status from Express non-aircraft crafts and Fred would have the IBT in his
This is what I was referring to.

STFXG

This is what I was referring to.
Exactly. RLA stuff. No FAA regulations keeping Ground from handling the volume. Just a matter of training and clearance.

We have DG training. Not much for the drivers, but clerks/qa know what we can and can't take. Wouldn't be much to get that done.

MAKAVELI

Exactly. RLA stuff. No FAA regulations keeping Ground from handling the volume. Just a matter of training and clearance.

We have DG training. Not much for the drivers, but clerks/qa know what we can and can't take. Wouldn't be much to get that done.
And how long has Ground been a part of FedEx?