New pre loader here and some questions

klolx

Hello UPSers, I'm a new part time pre loader and this week is my 2nd week of working and I'm currently doing 2 trucks for now (still training) I just have few questions.

What are some techniques that you do to load fast?

Is it okay to stack if you get hit by a lot of packages coming in?

Please tell me your experiences when you were a first timer.

Because the guy that was training me made me do 3 trucks yesterday to test me and I was pretty overwhelmed especially when I got hit by a lot of packages so now he's only making me do 2 which because I can't handle 3 yet. I'm not quitting though, I like the job and I'm always trying my best, I go to work 20-25 mins early.

Thank you!

CaliforniaPaul

Just listen to your trainer not the people here even though they are skilled. Once you have developed some skill ask your fellow loaders.

Azrjn4864

I load 4 trucks a day and I know how overwhelming it can get... One thing I do that helps me with misloads is I move the pal label on every package to the right, lower bottom of the package... That way they are all lined up and I can glance at different shelves during the sort as I am walking in and out of the truck... It isn't possible to have every single label facing out (esp. towards the end of the day when the truck is getting full), but for the most part they are. Also, as far as stacking out, I try not to get more than 5-10 packages per truck out... I actually let 5-7 stack up in the floor at the back of each truck, then when the belt is clear for a good ways ahead of me, I will quickly go load... My center is small, so I have the advantage of being able to walk up the belt and clear my "stuff".. I know roughly how much time I can spend in the trucks loading before something passes me by.... What helps more than anything though is moving those pal labels... I move them, like I said above and then I make sure and look at them again before I put them on the shelve... I NEVER go into a truck holding a package that goes on another truck... Like say I have 2 nda envelopes, I set one down behind the truck it belongs in then take the other to it's truck... This causes me an extra "bend over and pick it up" move, but it's so easy to set the wrong one down in the wrong truck. *One more thing, turn the d%*£ belt off if you need to!!! Don't let them scare you into not doing that... It's not safe to be stacked out to the point where u can't walk or stuff falling on you.... You have the right to stop the belt, so exorcise that right....we are not production...we have one girl who works with us, who does take advantage of stopping the belt and sups know it, so they hound her about it, but they also know that if one of the other of us stop it, it's cause we really need to... So keep that in mind, don't take advantage of it to the point that it's obvious, but don't be afraid to do it either... Good luck and hang in there, it doesn't get easier, but it does get routine... So once you find your pace and habits that work for you, you'll be fine!

klolx

I load 4 trucks a day and I know how overwhelming it can get... One thing I do that helps me with misloads is I move the pal label on every package to the right, lower bottom of the package... That way they are all lined up and I can glance at different shelves during the sort as I am walking in and out of the truck... It isn't possible to have every single label facing out (esp. towards the end of the day when the truck is getting full), but for the most part they are. Also, as far as stacking out, I try not to get more than 5-10 packages per truck out... I actually let 5-7 stack up in the floor at the back of each truck, then when the belt is clear for a good ways ahead of me, I will quickly go load... My center is small, so I have the advantage of being able to walk up the belt and clear my "stuff".. I know roughly how much time I can spend in the trucks loading before something passes me by.... What helps more than anything though is moving those pal labels... I move them, like I said above and then I make sure and look at them again before I put them on the shelve... I NEVER go into a truck holding a package that goes on another truck... Like say I have 2 nda envelopes, I set one down behind the truck it belongs in then take the other to it's truck... This causes me an extra "bend over and pick it up" move, but it's so easy to set the wrong one down in the wrong truck. *One more thing, turn the d%*£ belt off if you need to!!! Don't let them scare you into not doing that... It's not safe to be stacked out to the point where u can't walk or stuff falling on you.... You have the right to stop the belt, so exorcise that right....we are not production...we have one girl who works with us, who does take advantage of stopping the belt and sups know it, so they hound her about it, but they also know that if one of the other of us stop it, it's cause we really need to... So keep that in mind, don't take advantage of it to the point that it's obvious, but don't be afraid to do it either... Good luck and hang in there, it doesn't get easier, but it does get routine... So once you find your pace and habits that work for you, you'll be fine!

Thank you so much! and 1 more thing. Can you actually get fired for having misloads?

old levi's

blank space
Hello UPSers, I'm a new part time pre loader and this week is my 2nd week of working and I'm currently doing 2 trucks for now (still training) I just have few questions.

What are some techniques that you do to load fast?

Is it okay to stack if you get hit by a lot of packages coming in?

Please tell me your experiences when you were a first timer.

Because the guy that was training me made me do 3 trucks yesterday to test me and I was pretty overwhelmed especially when I got hit by a lot of packages so now he's only making me do 2 which because I can't handle 3 yet. I'm not quitting though, I like the job and I'm always trying my best, I go to work 20-25 mins early.

Thank you!

Well, she was 2 years older than me. She lead me ever so gently into the promised land on that summer evening by the lake. She had the most beautiful eyes; a man could drown in those eyes!

menotyou

bella amicizia
He was 5 years older. Very tender and special. Beautiful eyes. Why were those eyes so intoxicating? Christmas time. I think fondly of it, as he was so sweet. Nice memories.

over9five

Staff member
Well, she was 2 years older than me. She lead me ever so gently into the promised land on that summer evening by the lake. She had the most beautiful eyes; a man could drown in those eyes!

He was 5 years older. Very tender and special. Beautiful eyes. Why were those eyes so intoxicating? Christmas time. I think fondly of it, as he was so sweet. Nice memories.

You two are nuts!!!!!

And to the OP, read my blog.......or maybe not!

Azrjn4864

You can get fired for misloads...they have to go through all the steps... I.e. Verbal warning, warning letters, so on & so forth... It is not likely that you would be fired for them, but it is possible... I thought about this thread this morning.. I was stacked out up to my A%#*€#£!! And I'm 5'9 and mostly legs! Lol.... Rough morning!!!

curiousbrain

As a previous poster mentioned, having the PAL labels out is not only a "method", it is a good idea - it not only helps the loader find their own misloads before/after they happen, it makes the supervisor(s) job easier because they can walk through the truck and quickly find any obvious misloads. Also, blend the motion of picking up a box, taking off the sticker and putting it in your preferred spot, and beginning to walk into one motion - that is to say, don't stand still, grab the sticker, so on and so forth; have the sticker on the box before you even get into the truck. With some practice, you don't even have to look at the box anymore, you can "look before you step" hehe.

A final note on the PAL labels out - it really helps keep the stops together; no one can remember where they put every box in 3+ trucks unless some labels are facing out. Your drivers might appreciate it, too.

Pick up multiple boxes; don't tuck one under each arm like a football - instead, carry them in a stack close to your body. If they are light, put the slaps on the boxes with your free hand; otherwise, put them where they belong in the truck and when you have a second, put the PAL's where they need to be.

Move fast; obviously, don't run, but if preloading could be done at a leisurely pace, then anyone could do it - the turnover rate seems to signal that not everyone can do it - for many reasons, I'm sure - but one of those reasons is that some people don't want to move fast and sweat hard.

Use the back shelf; unless the box is pretty long, there is a ton of room back there. Use it, as it helps keep the stops together.

Move bulk stops to RDL/RDR if there is nothing there, or only a few small boxes there; tell the driver.

Unless there are mitigating circumstances, be friendly with your drivers. You work hard, they work hard, and it is a synergistic relationship.

Depending on what type of person you are, eat and drink properly; if you eat 5 cheeseburgers and drink ten beers, your performance will suffer the next day. I am not a nutritionist, but taking part in such activities on a day when you have to get up at the butt-crack of dawn and do physical labor for 3.5+ hours seems like a bad idea.

On a personal level, I always took the job personally; when I did a bad job, I was slightly mad at management for maybe expecting the impossible, or IE for being ... well, IE; but mainly, I was mad at myself for not figuring out a way to get the job done. And I would tell the drivers - "Sorry, I did a bad job today." Psychologically advisable? Maybe not; but it did constantly push me to find better ways to do the job, at which point my preload shift became hard work, but where I was almost never behind. I would move around and help others, because otherwise I was standing there with nothing to do.

To summarize, in my opinion, the three things that will help almost any preloader (taken from the methods) are: walk at a brisk pace, optimum carries, and PAL's facing out. Learned properly, they made my life so much easier as a loader.

Good luck, and be safe.

brownedout

As a previous poster mentioned, having the PAL labels out is not only a "method", it is a good idea - it not only helps the loader find their own misloads before/after they happen, it makes the supervisor(s) job easier because they can walk through the truck and quickly find any obvious misloads. Also, blend the motion of picking up a box, taking off the sticker and putting it in your preferred spot, and beginning to walk into one motion - that is to say, don't stand still, grab the sticker, so on and so forth; have the sticker on the box before you even get into the truck. With some practice, you don't even have to look at the box anymore, you can "look before you step" hehe.

A final note on the PAL labels out - it really helps keep the stops together; no one can remember where they put every box in 3+ trucks unless some labels are facing out. Your drivers might appreciate it, too.

Pick up multiple boxes; don't tuck one under each arm like a football - instead, carry them in a stack close to your body. If they are light, put the slaps on the boxes with your free hand; otherwise, put them where they belong in the truck and when you have a second, put the PAL's where they need to be.

Move fast; obviously, don't run, but if preloading could be done at a leisurely pace, then anyone could do it - the turnover rate seems to signal that not everyone can do it - for many reasons, I'm sure - but one of those reasons is that some people don't want to move fast and sweat hard.

Use the back shelf; unless the box is pretty long, there is a ton of room back there. Use it, as it helps keep the stops together.

Move bulk stops to RDL/RDR if there is nothing there, or only a few small boxes there; tell the driver.

Unless there are mitigating circumstances, be friendly with your drivers. You work hard, they work hard, and it is a synergistic relationship.

Depending on what type of person you are, eat and drink properly; if you eat 5 cheeseburgers and drink ten beers, your performance will suffer the next day. I am not a nutritionist, but taking part in such activities on a day when you have to get up at the butt-crack of dawn and do physical labor for 3.5+ hours seems like a bad idea.

On a personal level, I always took the job personally; when I did a bad job, I was slightly mad at management for maybe expecting the impossible, or IE for being ... well, IE; but mainly, I was mad at myself for not figuring out a way to get the job done. And I would tell the drivers - "Sorry, I did a bad job today." Psychologically advisable? Maybe not; but it did constantly push me to find better ways to do the job, at which point my preload shift became hard work, but where I was almost never behind. I would move around and help others, because otherwise I was standing there with nothing to do.

To summarize, in my opinion, the three things that will help almost any preloader (taken from the methods) are: walk at a brisk pace, optimum carries, and PAL's facing out. Learned properly, they made my life so much easier as a loader.

Good luck, and be safe.

Awesome, brownbaggin. Where you been? When did you go over to the "dark side"?

brownedout

Great tips Azrjn, this is when this site really works, with sharing as such.

old levi's

blank space
Requests from a driver: Do's and Don'ts

If you drop part of a large stop to the floor, drop it all. Easier for the driver to find and work; better for you because you free up room on that shelf for more singles.

Don't put a roll of material or a long box (golf club) on the shelf against the outer wall and then put 10 to 20 boxes in front of it. When I need that roll I've got to strip that entire shelf just to free it. Any long package put it in the middle of truck floor at the end of sort.

Thanks for what you do and I sincerely mean that! A really good pre-loader is priceless. Been there/ done that- for a long, long time.

klolx

Good luck, and be safe.

Wow thank you very much! my trainer made me handle 3 trucks today and I handled them for 1.5 hours and he took over 1 truck again after because I started stacking out when there were a lot of packages coming in. He said I did good for my first week because I was at least able to handle 3 trucks for 1.5 hours and btw, I didn't have misloads today! :) don't know about tomorrow though I might have a couple. Rough morning lol! good stuff though, thank you sir!

klolx

Requests from a driver: Do's and Don'ts

If you drop part of a large stop to the floor, drop it all. Easier for the driver to find and work; better for you because you free up room on that shelf for more singles.

Don't put a roll of material or a long box (golf club) on the shelf against the outer wall and then put 10 to 20 boxes in front of it. When I need that roll I've got to strip that entire shelf just to free it. Any long package put it in the middle of truck floor at the end of sort.

Thanks for what you do and I sincerely mean that! A really good pre-loader is priceless. Been there/ done that- for a long, long time.

Thank you for appreciating! I am always trying my best everyday to learn the job and do it perfectly :)