New preloader - tips(?) + blowing off steam

HolyBrown

I've had 6 days in preload. Day 1, I did my (3 car) set with a sup. Day 2&3, did the same set by myself and was keeping up, starting to get used to it. Day 4, someone called in - sups put me on a new (4 car) set at the end of the belt with a sup helping half the day, went OK. Day 5, someone else called in and they put me on a different set (heavy load 3 car), was completely overwhelmed and told them I wasn't ready for it to which they acknowledged and agreed (had 9 misloads). Day 6, someone went on vacation and they put me on a different set, this time 'splitting' at the front of the belt.

So, I'm a little frazzled by my current experience in preload. For one thing, is it normal to be swapped around so much? I've read some people get pushed around because they're the lowest common denominator, yet the sups have told me they trust me more than some of their more seasoned people (one of which has been working the easier first set I did). I have a hard time wrapping my head around that statement, especially given the cluster:censored2: that was day 5. Then again, trusting me 'more' doesn't necessarily mean trust.

I guess I'm just trying to get a feel for where I truly stand, from people that have nothing to lose or gain from bull:censored2:ting me.

My biggest question at the moment, is what is 'normal' for training? E.g., was I left to my own devices earlier than most?

My biggest issue at the moment is keeping up with the stream of packages coming down the belt. It feels like I spend too much time scanning packages, trying not to miss any for my cars and then I don't have enough time to actually shove the :censored2: inside.

Tom MacDonald

Max E. Pads
Just be happy you're loading from a belt and not those stupid cages, the idiots at the charge dgaf about throwing all your pieces in the back to where you have to reach in and drag them out.

UnconTROLLed

perfection
Just be happy you're loading from a belt and not those stupid cages, the idiots at the charge dgaf about throwing all your pieces in the back to where you have to reach in and drag them out.
Cannot agree more...especially on a TOP CAGE. It's idiotic and sad....I use a hand rake.

UnconTROLLed

perfection
To the OP, just do a good job and don't worry about it failing. As long as you do your best and use the methods, you have nothing to worry about. The belt will stop...or packages will go by (the next preloaders can sort, too)...things will happen.

Knowing belt-to-car, and having sorted and loaded before (done that exact job), you are not solely responsible for sorting the belt

Cementups

Box Monkey
I disagree. I loaded off a boxline for 2.5 years. I helped a few times on the belt and I hated it. I would prefer it greatly to load out of cages. There's a system to loading out of cages. Problem with belts is the a*hole sups who like to turn the speed up and stuff goes by and piles up at the end of the belt.

oldngray

nowhere special
I disagree. I loaded off a boxline for 2.5 years. I helped a few times on the belt and I hated it. I would prefer it greatly to load out of cages. There's a system to loading out of cages. Problem with belts is the a*hole sups who like to turn the speed up and stuff goes by and piles up at the end of the belt.

Boxline is better but overkill for a small center where a belt is good enough.

McGee

Op, don't worry too much about it, yet, just do what others have said and do your best it takes a bit to get the speed down, sounds like they are testing you to see what you can handle and if you can handle situations from the busiest part of the line to handling splits, to the slowest part. Whatever you do, hang in there and don't give up. It does eventually get better...

dookie stain

Cornfed whiteboy
Did preload for two years...wouldn't say it ever really gets easier...your body gets used to the work but no matter how good you get it's physically impossible to keep up with a belt that doesn't stop when you're having to grab 5 packages for different trucks at the same time...work safe and you'll be fine

HolyBrown

Nine misloads shouldn't deter you from trying again. What are you not ready for?
Well, the 9 misloads haven't deterred me, though I do feel ashamed for mucking up that many. Most of the drivers I've met seem cool enough. I don't like the idea of making their lives more difficult.

I'm at least fairly certain how it happened; stacking out to the right of one car and to the left of the other car and accidentally creating an environment where it would be easy for me to pull from one of my stacks without looking at the bay#/driver name and simply putting it into the sequence.

Like I said, my biggest issue, or what I'm not ready for, is the speed. Oddly though, as I look at some of the other loaders, they don't appear to be hustling too much. I'm guessing, but likely I need to improve when to spend time in the package car and when to spend time working the belt. Working the wrong one at the wrong time is probably a good way to get buried.

Oh sups do it here.
They scan for misloads here, too. Not sure if they scan everything. Guessing they don't, seeing as I had 9 misloads.