New preloader - tips(?) + blowing off steam

PT Car Washer

Well, the 9 misloads haven't deterred me, though I do feel ashamed for mucking up that many. Most of the drivers I've met seem cool enough. I don't like the idea of making their lives more difficult.

I'm at least fairly certain how it happened; stacking out to the right of one car and to the left of the other car and accidentally creating an environment where it would be easy for me to pull from one of my stacks without looking at the bay#/driver name and simply putting it into the sequence.

Like I said, my biggest issue, or what I'm not ready for, is the speed. Oddly though, as I look at some of the other loaders, they don't appear to be hustling too much. I'm guessing, but likely I need to improve when to spend time in the package car and when to spend time working the belt. Working the wrong one at the wrong time is probably a good way to get buried.

They scan for misloads here, too. Not sure if they scan everything. Guessing they don't, seeing as I had 9 misloads.
Do you load by the PAL label or look up at a chart to know where to load the packages?

Loyal Teamster

Ur gonna have to take th beating during ur probationary period, afterwards you can slow down and work at a comfortable UNION speed.

Thanks,
Loyal Teamster

We Love Logistics
Make America Great Again 2016

HolyBrown

Do you load by the PAL label or look up at a chart to know where to load the packages?
I've been looking at the pal label and loading according to the sequence number, 1000-8000 FL RD. The only chart we have is one they post 20-30 min. into the day which gives the count of how many packages are in each section of the PC. I'm not sure if this is the chart you're talking about, but I'm guessing not as I'd have no idea how to figure out what goes where from a chart that simply says 32 (packages) in 1000.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

I've been looking at the pal label and loading according to the sequence number, 1000-8000 FL RD. The only chart we have is one they post 20-30 min. into the day which gives the count of how many packages are in each section of the PC. I'm not sure if this is the chart you're talking about, but I'm guessing not as I'd have no idea how to figure out what goes where from a chart that simply says 32 (packages) in 1000.

He is talking about the load charts that were used before we started using PAL labels.

PT Car Washer

I think we call that a forecast of how many packages and stops are for each package car. Our packages are scanned coming out of the trailer and a PAL label slapped over the bar code.

GenericUsername

When I started, they originally were going to train me how to load a mall route by starting me on 1 24 foot box truck. Not even 10 minutes in, I got moved to a 3 car set, which wasn't too bad. They kept me there for a few days, then moved me up to another 3 door set (but twice as hard) on the same belt. I've since been moved around a few times (this has been a year and a half now) to splitting with 1-3 cars, depending, to doing 1100 pieces (2 post office, Wal-Mart & Home Depot), to a 4 door set with a mall route on it. They'll keep moving you around until they find a spot that suits their needs that doesn't cause you to be too far behind and cause issues.

You'll get the hang of it. Learn to work the belt, it's the best thing. You don't have to hustle to get it done, just work ahead as much as possible. If you're looking at boxes at the back side of your doors, stack everything on the floor and start again at the front. Work the belt there and catch up slowly.

Don't sweat the load charts that they give you 20-30 minutes into shift. If you're in the same spot, you'll know how things are going to run that day just from loading them in the past. Half the time the charts aren't even right.

By The Book

They do scan everything. Not too many missorts anymore since the new system went in. The load is another story...
I don't have the heart to tell my loader that he's been loading the bulk out of order for years. He thinks the first thing on the 2nd and 4th shelves come before the high digit shelf 1 and 3 bulk. He's a great loader and maybe a m/route once a year.