New preloader - tips(?) + blowing off steam

Rack em

Made the Podium
It will get easier over time, trust me. I remember my first week on preload I would be busting my ass and sweating uncontrollably and the guy across from me made a chair out of tires to sit in. I thought he was just on the easiest pull, but he was just used to the pace and had the methods down. Eventually you will get in a rhythm and it will seem way easier than it is now.

And don't feel bad about misloads. We had a preloader like 3-4 years ago who, I :censored2: you not, had 29 misloads in ONE day!!!! And he was only on a 3 car pull.

By The Book

It will get easier over time, trust me. I remember my first week on preload I would be busting my ass and sweating uncontrollably and the guy across from me made a chair out of tires to sit in. I thought he was just on the easiest pull, but he was just used to the pace and had the methods down. Eventually you will get in a rhythm and it will seem way easier than it is now.

And don't feel bad about misloads. We had a preloader like 3-4 years ago who, I :censored2: you not, had 29 misloads in ONE day!!!! And he was only on a 3 car pull.
He really didn't like that set!

PT Car Washer

I've been telling my mgt team for the last 6 months that the preloader is adding to my day.... 2 of my ors are very well aware of the load quality
And I bet the preloads answer was "if we fire him we will no one to load those package cars". Better to have a poor loader then no loader.

HardknocksUPSer

Everyday at my center is a epic fail. Get used to it, tell yourself it's going to get better but keep in the back of your mind it never will, welcome to UPS.

I Just Wanna Go Home

Focus on loading at first. Try to get everything in the right numerical order on the right shelf in the right car everytime. Speed comes with time. The longer you do it the faster you get at reading labels etc. Also, stay calm. They are just boxes. I've seen quite a few grown men and women break out into tears because they get behind. It does end eventually. Also, either stay after clocking out or come back and talk to the drivers you usually load for. Every driver in my center has a preference on where they want certain stops to go on the car I.e. It scanned to FL4 but they like it next to FL1. And if you keep your drivers happy you won't get pulled into the office in the morning (as much)

UnconTROLLed

perfection
I don't have the heart to tell my loader that he's been loading the bulk out of order for years. He thinks the first thing on the 2nd and 4th shelves come before the high digit shelf 1 and 3 bulk. He's a great loader and maybe a m/route once a year.
I put the 3500+ and 4500+ in the back buried, r to l, and leave low numbers in front. The driver shouldnt be digging the floor out. Its really something you figure out as a driver. I bury bulk behind rdl/rdr for anything beyond 4500 section on most routes. Not to brag but when I cover someone's pull, the drivers tend to give me the "dont tell so-and-so, but that was 100x better.."
Its much easier to load through the eyes of a driver first and not loader, Jmo.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Focus on loading at first. Try to get everything in the right numerical order on the right shelf in the right car everytime. Speed comes with time. The longer you do it the faster you get at reading labels etc. Also, stay calm. They are just boxes. I've seen quite a few grown men and women break out into tears because they get behind. It does end eventually. Also, either stay after clocking out or come back and talk to the drivers you usually load for. Every driver in my center has a preference on where they want certain stops to go on the car I.e. It scanned to FL4 but they like it next to FL1. And if you keep your drivers happy you won't get pulled into the office in the morning (as much)

DO NOT CUSTOM LOAD until you get a little experience under your belt.

HardknocksUPSer

Custom loading is frowned upon by management. If the driver wants things loaded this way he/she should have this fixed by the ORS.
I custom load because I know the routes and how the driver runs them, if it makes it easier for both the driver and I at the same time you can guarantee I'm going to do it, no need to carry 45 peices up to FL1 when you can move 5 pieces out of RDR and onto the 6000 shelf and replace the RDR with the 45 pieces that are supposed to go in FL1, it's common sense.

wayfair

swollen member
I custom load because I know the routes and how the driver runs them, if it makes it easier for both the driver and I at the same time you can guarantee I'm going to do it, no need to carry 45 peices up to FL1 when you can move 5 pieces out of RDR and onto the 6000 shelf and replace the RDR with the 45 pieces that are supposed to go in FL1, it's common sense.

My preloader put a 140 lb grill right inside the bulk head door recently, it was pal'd 84xx

so common sense isn't really common among preloaders, especially my last 2

UPS Preloader

Same here. The way I look at it, if it's easier on me to load it that way, then it's easier on the driver to unload it. Unfortunately, many preloader's don't use common sense or they just don't care.

By The Book

Yes, use common sense. I was talking about moving single stops around. Your bulk ideas are good, keep it up. Custom loading also puts undue pressure on the loader to never forget what the driver wants. Then the cover loaders have to try to remember, it never ends....until the driver gets it fixed.

Billy Ray

God, help us all.....
Work at the front of your area / stack pkgs. for same truck / be smooth / use optimum carry / stack when you have to, but only when you have to