New preloader, wants to help as a driver helper

Discussion in 'UPS Discussions' started by ucanalwaysfitonemore, Jun 1, 2014.

1. Starting my second week tonight as a preloader in a busy urban hub on the west coast.

I'm very smart, do my job and shut up, and wanna be a UPS Driver one day.

What's your opinion on a newbie preloader asking to help as as a driver helper on busy days, or any day for that matter.

PS: Last week I randomly asked if I could help out as a driver helper. Management was very open and responsive in allowing me to do so (and I did very well and had fun). The driver said I did great and we had a good time and I loved helping him out.
    Last edited: Jun 1, 2014
  2. Cementups

Cementups Box Monkey

3. :happy:thanks
  4. UpstateNYUPSer

UpstateNYUPSer Very proud grandfather.

The use of helpers is limited to certain times of the year based on location. I am surprised that you were put on road last week, although I did hear that it was quite busy due to the holiday.
  5. Wally

Wally Hailing from Parts Unknown.

No helpers allowed in my local after Christmas.
  6. jaker

jaker trolling

Yeah it does sound kinda wierd that they put you on as a helper and nobody else wanted to do it because when not in peek a helper makes top pay rate
  7. BigBeef42

BigBeef42 Active Member

Keep saying yes when they ask.... they will eventually call u in a majority of the time due to ur reliability. Only expect to work during holidays.

I wish they'd just hire more FT drivers instead of over packing cars and hiring a PT helper to do the leg work. Nahhhhhh!

Sent using BrownCafe App
  8. Aww. So you can't just be a driver helper on normal days? That sucks.