New PT Supervisor...any applicable suggestions for surviving?

AlphaMikeBravo

I am nearly brand new to the ups environment. I came in as a seasonal package handler, and made the grind to management.

Now that I'm here, I'm realizing it is nothing like the union side. What advice would you have for a new kid on the block?

1) Build solid working relationships with the people you will be supervising. Don't treat them like a number.
2) Get an official seniority list for your area, and start to slowly gain the respect of the elders. (It will make it easier on deciding who gets first choice on leaving, staying, etc.)
3)Don't ever, ever, ever, lie to your employee just to tell him/her what he wants to hear. Union people communicate better than supes and once one person loses your trust, most likely everyone will know your not a "stand up" guy (or girl) and we will make your life miserable.
4) Don't avoid workplace conflict, instead take it head on and have a sit down with all employees involved so that you can resolve it right away, and move on. If you avoid the conflict, things tend to "brew" and it causes animosity between employees. If you take care of it right away, you can move on and create an environment where employees actually cooperate towards a common goal.
5) Don't threaten us with PPH, you know and we know that the term is bull5h1t. Just teach your employees to work safe, and efficient, and build from there.
6) Building relationships is important when it comes to supervising Union folk because more often than not, once an employee has seniority, you have to play the cards your dealt.

That's all I can think of for now....oh yeah and don't get tempted by the dark side of the force...Good Luck

Last edited:

lll G R A F lll

Looking through everything I've read about the PT Sup position...I'm starting to regret that I even showed interest. First experience with UPS was this past peak season as a helper coordinator. Under the impression that it would be "fantastic opportunity", of course I took it. I've got a Network Engineering degree but doesn't seem like UPS is hiring for any positions in that category. From what others have been implying, by Spring I can expect to have had enough being :censored2: on...lol. Great.

Looks as if we have a lot of work to do 'She Nice Person' - Or it's back to the grind.

Appreciate everyone's input, even though it's made me think again about this place.

Cheers

Edit: I haven't started quite yet but everything has been processed, minus the urinalysis which won't be an issue.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Looking through everything I've read about the PT Sup position...I'm starting to regret that I even showed interest. First experience with UPS was this past peak season as a helper coordinator. Under the impression that it would be "fantastic opportunity", of course I took it. I've got a Network Engineering degree but doesn't seem like UPS is hiring for any positions in that category. From what others have been implying, by Spring I can expect to have had enough being :censored2: on...lol. Great.

Looks as if we have a lot of work to do 'She Nice Person' - Or it's back to the grind.

Appreciate everyone's input, even though it's made me think again about this place.

Are you on Linkedin? My son, who has his MBA, has told me that Linkedin is one of the best resources for networking.

When was the last time you check the job openings for inside employees?

lll G R A F lll

I just got set up with my login for UPSers - The issue is I'm in a location that UPS and Networking jobs are few and far between (maybe one or two good positions, once every couple years if not more). Networking in Florida is absolutely ridiculous. Something you'd get paid 70k to start in Texas, Virginia or Georgia, you'll be offered 35k MAX. Guess that's the sacrifice for living where 70% of Americans like to vacation.

Definitely will take another look at LinkedIn; I have an account but haven't used it for looking around job-wise.

Thanks

brown_sup

Be sure to identify and steer clear of these types

I understand there is a major effort to hire females, especially minorities and gay, but didn't you question their motives?

If she's got a degree in anything and happens to be gay and a minority she could very well be in upper management soon.

They are the ones who will point out the uptick in the hiring of minorties but won't say anything about the white males who've made everything about the numbers; and not about customer satisfaction and the morale of the workforce. Seriously, reread their comments and tell me the people that work around them are happy?

I waqs just promoted in February. These are the things that worked for me.

1. When the FT SUP is training you, watch them. Watch what they look at, how they talk to the hourly, how often the do their 2 minute drills, % and so forth. Take notes and at the end of the shift ask those questions that require a lengthy explanation. During the shift, focus on egress, watching the clock and the change in flows.

2. Ask the hourly employees what they like and hate about the location individualloy and away from the ft. Again, take notes. Then find 3 common complaints that can be addressed the the fastest. Allow them to see you carefully go after issues and follow up with them.

3. UPS UNIVERSITY!!!! Yes, use it. Take a course daily. Look at the resources and try applying one concept a day. I cannot stress enough how much it will help.

4. Remember that the people I quoted above are pessimist and won't ever put 100% into UPS. That vs your drive to be a leader will put you ahead of them. Also, they represent the mindset that is actually the cancer to the entire company.

5. Always find a way to learn at least one new thing from your manager or from a PT SUP Who has a lot of experience. Compare his successes and failures to that of other supervisors.

6. Study the numbers of the past. Look at how your belt performed and look for ways to set achievable goals and how you can make your team members feel like they are a part of the action.

I've made great strides by doing what I have mentioned as well as other things outside of work that have helped me(Reading). Set your own goals, walk your own path, learn from your mistakes, and above all else, have some fun. Yes, it is possible to have fun at UPS.

Catatonic

Nine Lives
I mean no disrespect, but by spring, early summer you will have either quit or will be looking for another job. Sorry... Supervision with this Company sucks. You should have just stuck it out hourly until you got seniority and until the next contract which is just over a couple years away.
Amazing powers of observation!

Jkloc420

Do you need an air compressor or tire gauge
Be sure to identify and steer clear of these types

They are the ones who will point out the uptick in the hiring of minorties but won't say anything about the white males who've made everything about the numbers; and not about customer satisfaction and the morale of the workforce. Seriously, reread their comments and tell me the people that work around them are happy?

I waqs just promoted in February. These are the things that worked for me.

1. When the FT SUP is training you, watch them. Watch what they look at, how they talk to the hourly, how often the do their 2 minute drills, % and so forth. Take notes and at the end of the shift ask those questions that require a lengthy explanation. During the shift, focus on egress, watching the clock and the change in flows.

2. Ask the hourly employees what they like and hate about the location individualloy and away from the ft. Again, take notes. Then find 3 common complaints that can be addressed the the fastest. Allow them to see you carefully go after issues and follow up with them.

3. UPS UNIVERSITY!!!! Yes, use it. Take a course daily. Look at the resources and try applying one concept a day. I cannot stress enough how much it will help.

4. Remember that the people I quoted above are pessimist and won't ever put 100% into UPS. That vs your drive to be a leader will put you ahead of them. Also, they represent the mindset that is actually the cancer to the entire company.

5. Always find a way to learn at least one new thing from your manager or from a PT SUP Who has a lot of experience. Compare his successes and failures to that of other supervisors.

6. Study the numbers of the past. Look at how your belt performed and look for ways to set achievable goals and how you can make your team members feel like they are a part of the action.

I've made great strides by doing what I have mentioned as well as other things outside of work that have helped me(Reading). Set your own goals, walk your own path, learn from your mistakes, and above all else, have some fun. Yes, it is possible to have fun at UPS.
this sounds like the ramblings of a newbie

Jkloc420

Do you need an air compressor or tire gauge
Nothing new about wanting to live life with a determined mindset. But its not for everybody.
live it the way u want. I'm just saying ur talking like a newbie is all. nothing wrong with it or saying it in a bad way. I wasn't being offensive or trying to be.

hyena

I am nearly brand new to the ups environment. I came in as a seasonal package handler, and made the grind to management.

Now that I'm here, I'm realizing it is nothing like the union side. What advice would you have for a new kid on the block?
Learn to lie.

dookie stain

Cornfed whiteboy
Learn to be a bold faced liar...learn to be hated...learn to be underpaid and over worked....you won't make anybody happy as a part time supervisor...part time job...full time chit pig

RolloTony Brown Town

Don't believe the BS. You can be a good or even great pt sup. Take care of your people and make sure they're doing the job right. Hold them accountable to the standards necessary to do the job. Most importantly have meaningful conversations with your employees. If you give a crap about them, they'll do the same.

Dr.Brownz

2. LOL yeah try to fix those problems and then realize you have no power to do so. The employees will then think you are all talk and no action. Maybe this will get you to see UPS for what it truly is. (your employees might at this point if they are not vets yet) If not though...

4. Cancer? LOL if you work as hard as you can every day UPS will abuses that and have you doing more work than can be safely handled everyday, they will then blame the employee for not working hard enough when they get hurt. That is the cancer of this company, always believing that production can go faster, without thinking about the human element.

6. The numbers are manipulated too look the way UPS wants them. You will find out that high production doesn't always mean good looking numbers, thus you will: 1)have to ask your employees to do stupid :censored2: to make the numbers look good, 2) do hourly work yourself to improve the numbers 3)Manipulate the report in someway to show only good numbers. Ask FTfridigidSUP about management tricks, he seems to know alot but he won't share them since he is :censored2:.

Hope that helps, been at UPS a while, seen lots of PT and FT sups and center manager's come and go.

Last edited by a moderator:

Steamtrain

Dont listen to anybody here or to anybody that tells you it sucks. Take jr32bad's advice. Respect earns respect. I did preload for 6 months, been in management for a year and a half now and still loving it. I have to say, i do miss the 5 car pool loading days everynow and then, but change is good! If you do your job, respect and communicate with your people, you will look forward to work everyday. If you let people poison your mind, it's over. I'm about to transfer out from community college to university, would have never happened without UPS. I am proud to be part of UPS! The best advice i can give you is learn. Learning your job inside out will give you an edge and you will make better decisions. I would say good luck but i don't believe in luck! I refuse to let my future be determined by "luck."

brown_sup

2. LOL yeah try to fix those problems and then realize you have no power to do so. The employees will then think you are all talk and no action. Maybe this will get you to see UPS for what it truly is. (your employees might at this point if they are not vets yet) If not though...

4. Cancer? LOL if you work as hard as you can every day UPS will abuses that and have you doing more work than can be safely handled everyday, they will then blame the employee for not working hard enough when they get hurt. That is the cancer of this company, always believing that production can go faster, without thinking about the human element.

6. The numbers are manipulated too look the way UPS wants them. You will find out that high production doesn't always mean good looking numbers, thus you will: 1)have to ask your employees to do stupid :censored2: to make the numbers look good, 2) do hourly work yourself to improve the numbers 3)Manipulate the report in someway to show only good numbers. Ask FTfridigidSUP about management tricks, he seems to know alot but he won't share them since he is :censored2:.

Hope that helps, been at UPS a while, seen lots of PT and FT sups and center manager's come and go.

I do have the power to make everyone follow the company standard. It is also my responsibility. Already I've encountered the real issue at UPS. Its the old timers that do all the complaining. They, ironically, are the first ones to push back against you when you try and make changes for the better. What's sad is that these individuals have pushed the hard working folks into closed groups or in their own personal bubble. It's the negative individuals who have used seniority and who they know to keep UPS in the mud.

Corporate, management and hourly employees alike.

Last but not least, the "Us and then the rest of them" attitude I commonly see among drivers. They come into work grumpy and mad at the world, always saying "that's not my job" but the first to say "I got seniority, that's mine." or "Why does she/he get it and I've been here longer?"

Yes, that is what goers on in UPS. Nowhere in the job methods, company policy or collective bargaining agreement does it say I have to put up with pessimism.