New Region and District Managers named

tieguy

Banned
Myron Grey is outstanding and I would follow is lead any time.

Sure, race and sex was part of the decision, but if the result is having outstanding people AND being diverse, I'm okay with that.

P-Man

I don't disagree , I think they are excellent people. It does give them an advantage in a selection process that has become even more competitive with the reduction of positions.

raceanoncr

raceanoncr,
Let me give you a real life example. A District Manager in a very large district has numerous buildings and much responsability. Parking spaces --first come --first served sounds great ---but ----
This District Manager gets up in the early morning hours to visit and audit the air gateway --after spending a few hours there drives to the nearest package center --meets management and listens and talks with drivers and part-timers to keep his finger on the pulse.
Leaves the center after dispatch and drives very quickly back to the District office which is located in one of the large package divisions to take part in a very important Corporate conference call.
When he arrives at five to eleven :
1. There are no parking spaces left --not because he came to work "late" --but because he has already been working six hours --he parks blocks away and misses the call ---or
2. He pulls into his parking place where he would normally pull into at six o'clock in the morning --when he did not visit the other bldgs.

Question ---- Should we also eliminate AIR FORCE ONE ???
Common sense should tell us --there are some "necessary" perks for some positions !!

Um....eliminate AIR FORCE ONE???? That's kinda a stretch, ain't it? Is this a perk or a necessity? You comparing the President of the United States to a District Manager of UPS? The President in power didn't ask for or initiate this "perk". It was there when they took office and will be there when they leave. Can we say that about ONE District Manager? The "perk" wasn't there before they got here and the "perk" disappeared after they left.

Using the scenario that you describe, we can certainly see why such "perks" would be necessary. BUT, in this particular case, there ain't nuthin in this that could compare. I know, I was there. Visit the air gateway? Not in my time there. Morning or evening. Here, district office is in same building as 4 package centers. Visit with drivers and pters? Not here. In my 32 years here, I think I've visually laid eyes on, maybe, 4 district managers and only then because of some particularly caustic letter I may have written and was hauled off to the district office with my feet not even touching the floor.

Here, getting to the building at 11 AM or so would net you a very good spot to park. All the pt sunrisers are gone, the all-night feeders are gone.

Here? In this case? Keeping his "finger on the pulse"? Sorry, I don't buy it. Never heard of them visiting any other centers either. Maybe they did, I don't know. But I think we'd hear of that, don't ya think?

So, not to be disrespectful, but this scenario just does/did not fly here. HERE!!!!

SignificantOwner

A Package Center Manager
raceanoncr,
Let me give you a real life example. A District Manager in a very large district has numerous buildings and much responsability. Parking spaces --first come --first served sounds great ---but ----
This District Manager gets up in the early morning hours to visit and audit the air gateway --after spending a few hours there drives to the nearest package center --meets management and listens and talks with drivers and part-timers to keep his finger on the pulse.
Leaves the center after dispatch and drives very quickly back to the District office which is located in one of the large package divisions to take part in a very important Corporate conference call.
When he arrives at five to eleven :
1. There are no parking spaces left --not because he came to work "late" --but because he has already been working six hours --he parks blocks away and misses the call ---or
2. He pulls into his parking place where he would normally pull into at six o'clock in the morning --when he did not visit the other bldgs.

Question ---- Should we also eliminate AIR FORCE ONE ???
Common sense should tell us --there are some "necessary" perks for some positions !!

Whoa, let me wipe that tear off my eye. They missed a conf call because they couldn't find a parking place? That person is in way over their head then. I sure don't want them running a district.

Mapp

Choo Choo
This whole thing seems rotten. Its blatent reverse discrimination. When you promote based on the color of a person's skin you aren't giving the best person the job. Tell me, you want you E.R. Doctor to have been given the job over a more qualified White candidate? UPS is going to screw itself in the name of "Diversity" and the stock will show it.:dissapointed:

UPS Lifer

I've hired and promoted many, many people in my career. Not once, was I told I had a quota. I WAS asked to look hard to ensure I was giving all minorities a chance. That never impacted a decision.

P-Mna

My guess is that in your operation it was more subtle. I had an air hub operation that mirrored the twilight hub. We hired people at the same time and my operation got any woman that was hired. I had worked in HR and confronted the manager with hard facts and she told me that we needed more women in the district and they had a better chance of making it in my operation. Your district should reflect the community in which it serves. There are statistics for each district and each district works hard to mirror the community in which they serve.

Years ago companies including UPS raced to be more diverse. People were promoted to positions they were not qualified for. Those days are long gone. When this practice occurs now it is the exception not the rule. However there will always be someone to point out that it is the rule and make an example of the individual who is not qualified.

If you look the the grand scheme of things, America is way out in front when it comes to valuing diversity. Look at other countries and you will see very little diversification in top management ranks. A country like Japan comes to mind. My guess is if you start looking at the top management in large companies, you will see nothing but men of Japanese dissent. A few more generations from now and people from our country will be very blended. Our descendants will consider themselves American without prejudice to what nationalities that came before them.

island1fox

Um....eliminate AIR FORCE ONE???? That's kinda a stretch, ain't it? Is this a perk or a necessity? You comparing the President of the United States to a District Manager of UPS? The President in power didn't ask for or initiate this "perk". It was there when they took office and will be there when they leave. Can we say that about ONE District Manager? The "perk" wasn't there before they got here and the "perk" disappeared after they left.

Using the scenario that you describe, we can certainly see why such "perks" would be necessary. BUT, in this particular case, there ain't nuthin in this that could compare. I know, I was there. Visit the air gateway? Not in my time there. Morning or evening. Here, district office is in same building as 4 package centers. Visit with drivers and pters? Not here. In my 32 years here, I think I've visually laid eyes on, maybe, 4 district managers and only then because of some particularly caustic letter I may have written and was hauled off to the district office with my feet not even touching the floor.

Here, getting to the building at 11 AM or so would net you a very good spot to park. All the pt sunrisers are gone, the all-night feeders are gone.

Here? In this case? Keeping his "finger on the pulse"? Sorry, I don't buy it. Never heard of them visiting any other centers either. Maybe they did, I don't know. But I think we'd hear of that, don't ya think?

So, not to be disrespectful, but this scenario just does/did not fly here. HERE!!!!

race,
Relax, you asked for comments --I gave you my comments on real life that I EXPERIENCED-- did you only want comments you could agree with ? Seems to me your problem is not so much with the parking space but rather some dopey letter ????:happy-very:

island1fox

Whoa, let me wipe that tear off my eye. They missed a conf call because they couldn't find a parking place? That person is in way over their head then. I sure don't want them running a district.

SO,
No one is asking for tears -gave one real life example --could give you hundreds of others --but why bother --if you don't get it --you never will !! :wink2:

RoyalFlush

One of Them
P-Man,
I realize that this can be a very fiery topic. I happen to value diversity and believe to a certain extent that this makes us better and stronger.
You mentioned M.G. --I know him -think that he is a very nice and capable person --but --
This is where it gets touchy --I loook forward to a world where race and the color of skin makes no difference at all --sadly that may never happen.
I can tell you M.G. --has a great ' powerful and well paid position. I can also tell you -if race was not a factor ---the "Best" person did not get the job.
Ups will use the Balanced -scorecard as a major measurement tool. When M.G. was in Texas --He did a Good job --not the top --but good --when He was transferred to Colorado --the bottom of the BSC is where he sat.
He was "pulled " out by C.D. and went on a PACKAGE LEVEL DETAIL assignment in Corporate.
About two years later --with many District Managers at the very top of the BSC --Mg was promoted to a Region Manager.
If you Look at the last four people in the job MG now holds ---the last 15 yrs have all been black males. The next candidate --one of the three present Region mgrs is also a black male --While placing a high value on diversity --a strong case can be made for reverse discrimination. I have no bad feelings toward M.G. --but truly mourn for many, many, WHITE MALES ----that were highly qualified ,more successful by UPS measurement --but did not recieve the powerful -well paying position because of --what --shall we say sins of the past --that they had nothing to do with.
I hope you see my point --I certainly would not ever prevent a qualified person --regardless of race ,creed or color --a position --my point is --Ups does this --so do many companies --Right or wrong ?? :sad-little:

Well said. Race shouldn't be a stumbling block for any race.

constructively dissatisfi

There's a "good old boy" network for black people within UPS, and the same kind of thing goes on in many Corp departments. Wherever a black person rises to the level where they have a lot of people reporting to them, black people start moving to the top rungs of the ladder in those departments. Some are qualified and deserve it, others do not.

TechGrrl

Space Cadet
And I have seen an awful lot of good ol' boys (emphasis on the boy) promoted over more qualified minority males and female of all races, just because they are boys. Not going to argue that there have been some 'affirmative action' promotions for the sake of numbers, but compared to the number of mediocre males promoted by their old buddies, not a blip in the statistics.

I've always said we'll know the apocalypse has come when a mediocre woman has as much chance of getting promoted as a mediocre man.

local804

Well Techgrrl, Pretty good point but why dont you compare the number of women working at UPS to the number of men. The few women in management I do know all have made it up the chain one way or another. Not too long ago we had a DM women and the only reason she didnt go any higher was because of a sickness. A lot of people use the saying its not who you know its who you below.

telly

we are all just numbers - no race, no sex, no personal effects - shouldn't that apply across the board

and if the parking spaces are really that important to a job then you need to make better preparations

if numbers were so great wouldn't all these changes be mute maybe we need all together new numbers instead of drawing out of the same old hat

govols019

You smell that?
So, what happens to the DM's that are left over? Is there a lateral move for them to make or are they just gone? Is it possible that they would be demoted to center manager level to replace an underachieving center manager?

raceanoncr

race,
Relax, you asked for comments --I gave you my comments on real life that I EXPERIENCED-- did you only want comments you could agree with ? Seems to me your problem is not so much with the parking space but rather some dopey letter ????:happy-very:

OK, granted. You DID give your REAL LIFE EXPERIENCE. But then you went on to say it was justified, as in EVERY case, even comparing this perk to AIR FORCE ONE.

I, in turn, was sharing MY REAL LIFE EXPERIENCE as well. This DM, from all appearances, did not share the same work rules, time schedule, "finger on the pulse", whatever other terms you may want to ascribe to them.

"Some dopey letter"? I'd forgotten all about that until I saw that name on the list. Thanks. Sorry, but I'd feel the same way about the current/future DMs that did the same thing here.

And, as one poster alluded to here, if you can't schedule your day a little better, then....maybe you're in the wrong field?

My feeling, my comment.

island1fox

OK, granted. You DID give your REAL LIFE EXPERIENCE. But then you went on to say it was justified, as in EVERY case, even comparing this perk to AIR FORCE ONE.

I, in turn, was sharing MY REAL LIFE EXPERIENCE as well. This DM, from all appearances, did not share the same work rules, time schedule, "finger on the pulse", whatever other terms you may want to ascribe to them.

"Some dopey letter"? I'd forgotten all about that until I saw that name on the list. Thanks. Sorry, but I'd feel the same way about the current/future DMs that did the same thing here.

And, as one poster alluded to here, if you can't schedule your day a little better, then....maybe you're in the wrong field?

My feeling, my comment.

race,
Your comments, your opinion -no problem --every one has them. Just a few final additional comments --unless you were or are a District Manager I would be careful stating that they should "plan" their day better.
I am sure you plan what will happen on your job--driver, preloader, local sort, car washer or whatever--as you know sometimes things do not go by plan . Try to take a deep breathe and imagine you are responsible for everything that happens in two or three states ---all drivers,all feeders, all local sorts, all accidents, injuries , etc etc etc ------thousands of people. Sure you plan --but one --the plan has to be solid --including where you will park --and two --you have to be very flexible --when "reality " becomes the plan.
Not looking to beat this topic to death --not looking for any converts--each to his own!! :peaceful:

Last edited: