new retro checks

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

I am a FT driver who netted just under $1K. I would think any casual/cover driver or PTer who came close to that must have initially thought that the company made a mistake. If you were one of these and were foolish enough to have spent the money it is now time to pay the piper.

JL 0513

What I don't understand is how widespread mistakes were made with a relatively easy accounting task. Hours worked x .70, while distinguishing straight and over time. Certain employees have other variables thrown in but most of us are straightforward.

The other oddity is how they became aware of the widespread errors. So they run all the accounting for hundreds of thousands of employees, issue checks to everyone, and then say "let's run the numbers all over again!". What a massive waste of resources.

upschuck

What I don't understand is how widespread mistakes were made with a relatively easy accounting task. Hours worked x .70, while distinguishing straight and over time. Certain employees have other variables thrown in but most of us are straightforward.

The other oddity is how they became aware of the widespread errors. So they run all the accounting for hundreds of thousands of employees, issue checks to everyone, and then say "let's run the numbers all over again!". What a massive waste of resources.

Funny how it took a month to figure the initial payout, but only a couple days to figure who got overpaid, and issue letters.

TooTechie

Geek in Brown
I am a FT driver who netted just under $1K. I would think any casual/cover driver or PTer who came close to that must have initially thought that the company made a mistake. If you were one of these and were foolish enough to have spent the money it is now time to pay the piper.
Most full time permanent cover guys in progression work more OT than you've said you do.

When I was a cover guy last year I spent a lot of time covering a route that can't get back to building until late due to an 820pm pickup 25 minutes away from the center.

BrownBrokeDown

I was supposed to be paid 0.70 from Aug 1st to Aug 23, then 1.00 for the rest. They paid me 0.71 for 0.5 hours and 1.00 for the rest. luckily i only have to pay back $16 and change. LOL, where the hell did 0.71 come from. That's what I want to know.

Narlis

so i owe 120 dollars because they back paid me 1.50 raise when i only got 1.50 raise for 90 days and .50 cents for the rest of the time.... since they took my 90day dollar raise away with the new contract... this is really dumb. if i owe 120 dollars gross pay they better take the 120 dollars out of my check before i pay taxes on it twice....

Holydiver

For clarification purposes:
I believe the majority of states require authorization to make deductions.

I'm fairly certain states which do not require an employee's authorization to make a deduction to correct an overpayment include Colorado, Connecticut, Delaware, Hawaii, Idaho, Kansas, Kentucky, Louisiana, Massachusetts, New Jersey, North Carolina, Ohio, Rhode Island, Tennessee, Virginia, West Virginia, Wisconsin, and Wyoming.

I assume they will wait for consent regardless in most cases and collaborate with your local union, but employees in these states may want to be wary of holding out just to do it.

Driver7906

They were handing out second retro checks this morning in my center. I wasn't expecting another round of retro checks but apparently there were errors with the first retro checks and there was still money owed. Some drivers got a check for an extra $10 or $15.

My check was for $0.40. That's right, 40 CENTS! It was actually $0.43 but they took out $0.03 in taxes. I looked at my bank account and sure enough there it was…. $0.40 direct-deposited into my account.

I'm not at all complaining. I just thought it was funny.