New Route

upsman68

After 8 years I start a new route I bid on. I'm sure that I will go out blind so I printed my maps and ready to go.
The main reason I switched routes was because of the package car. My old route has a 1987 P1000 manual that pulls a TP60. My new route has a newer P700 automatic. Less stops and less packages also.
As Bart Scott says "Can't wait"

How many of you are switching routes this year?

brownmonster

Man of Great Wisdom
I guy in my town is retiring this Nov. I have my eye on his area. He starts at 7:15 and runs Early AM's and then his loop brother brings up the rest of his load. I'm not thrilled with that part of it but it has 8 on-route pickups instead of the 35 I have now. Been on my route 18 years.

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
Getting out of that old, manual-steering high-step package car will extend your career and dramatically reduce the wear and tear on your body. Even a lousy route seems like gravy when you arent spending 10 hours a day fighting equipment that was intentionally designed to make your job harder and more dangerous.

CustomerConcern

We only bid when someone retires or dies or (hah ha) a new route opens. But I am the bottom guy so I am stuck on my rte for a good 10 years at least I think. I have an 86 P1000 also so I hear ya on gettin out of the P.O.S.

packageguy

We only bid when someone retires or dies or (hah ha) a new route opens. But I am the bottom guy so I am stuck on my rte for a good 10 years at least I think. I have an 86 P1000 also so I hear ya on gettin out of the P.O.S.

Our building is the same, most of our guys live on there route.

tracker2762

I did the same move a few years ago. Had a trip for 20 years blown out p800 when I left the building and returned. Bid on a rural route with automatic p57. Never looked back although after I left it, they added another route next to my old trip. Still wouldn't go back.

Cementups

Box Monkey
I got my last bid after another driver passed away and had it for 7 years. Made it through 3 prior bi-annual bids and then this year one of our top guys decided he wanted a change of pace and took the #20 guy's route so that started the dominos a falling. #20 then took my route as I am #37. So I had to find a new home. I went from a rural route in a P7 doing 140 +/- with 2 AEPU done in trace to a primarily industrial route with 90 +/- and 23-26 (depends on teh day) p/u's. I actually like my new route cause my back doesn't hurt like it used to. My old route actually wasn't giving me enough to do and was killing my back. The other big bonus to my new route is that it is a 1/2 hour approved lunch so most days I am off the clock by 5:45. Well, unless they cut trips like the last 3 days and I work till 7. Cha-ching!!!!

Coldworld

60 months and counting
I got my last bid after another driver passed away and had it for 7 years. Made it through 3 prior bi-annual bids and then this year one of our top guys decided he wanted a change of pace and took the #20 guy's route so that started the dominos a falling. #20 then took my route as I am #37. So I had to find a new home. I went from a rural route in a P7 doing 140 +/- with 2 AEPU done in trace to a primarily industrial route with 90 +/- and 23-26 (depends on teh day) p/u's. I actually like my new route cause my back doesn't hurt like it used to. My old route actually wasn't giving me enough to do and was killing my back. The other big bonus to my new route is that it is a 1/2 hour approved lunch so most days I am off the clock by 5:45. Well, unless they cut trips like the last 3 days and I work till 7. Cha-ching!!!!

Cement, how many pieces are you delivering and picking up on average on this industrial route? Miles? What would your allowance be if you got in by 6?