New sanctions against Iran imposed

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
The only advise the President and his advisors should give Israel is, cool your jets, literally, and let us work on sanctions together with China and Russia.

To an extent I agree with you but the reality has been and will continue to be that sanctions simply do not work.

Nuclear weapons have been around for 65 years. We were able to fabricate them in 1945, with virtually no computer technology. There is now more computing power in my cellphone than existed in the entire world back then. Virtually any industrialized nation is capable of producing nukes, the fact that they choose not to is due to political considerations rather than any lack of ability.

Iran will soon be able to make one, if they have not already done so. Therefore, we must rely upon deterrence to prevent them from using it.

My opinion is that we should publicly announce to the Iranian regime that any nuclear attack upon Israel or the Arab gulf states, from any source, will be interpreted as a nuclear attack upon the United States by Iran and will therefore be responded to accordingly.

If we place both Israel and the Sunni Arab gulf states (who fear shi-ite Iran as much if not more than the Israelis do) under the American "nuclear umbrella", we will force the Iranians to take personal responsibility for what hands their nukes fall into. It would be a simple matter for us to park one of our nuclear subs in the Persian Gulf on a permanent basis, and announce to the Iran that all of their major nuclear and military facilities are targeted and will be utterly incinerated within minutes of any nuclear attack by them.

As it stands now, the Saudis have already agreed to "ignore" any Israeli overflights of their territory during an Israeli attack upon Iran. While they profess to hate Israel, they are privately rooting for them because they rightly regard a nuclear-armed Iran as the greater threat and they would like nothing better than for the Israelis to solve the problem for them. The region is on the brink of war, or a nuclear arms race that will destabilze the entire area. We have the ability to stop it.

Deterrence worked against the Russians for over 65 years and they were far more powerful in terms of nukes that Iran could ever hope to be. Deterrence will work against Iran too.