New scanners destroying preload productivity

In attempt to reduce misloads in my center, we have implemented a god awful scanner process. Preloaders have to walk around with a belt and finger scanner, scanning every single package before putting them into the trucks. On top of taking upwards of 10 seconds for the scanners to capture the barcodes, it's now impossible for me (and everyone else on my belt) to work efficiently. I've been told that if we don't scan literally 100% of our packages, we will be written up. Has this happened at any of your centers?

bleedinbrown58

That’s Craptacular
In attempt to reduce misloads in my center, we have implemented a god awful scanner process. Preloaders have to walk around with a belt and finger scanner, scanning every single package before putting them into the trucks. On top of taking upwards of 10 seconds for the scanners to capture the barcodes, it's now impossible for me (and everyone else on my belt) to work efficiently. I've been told that if we don't scan literally 100% of our packages, we will be written up. Has this happened at any of your centers?
Yes. Repeat after me....work......as.......directed.

If you refuse, you can/will be disciplined up to and including termination. They don't care about your feelings regarding their loading procedures.

scooby0048

This page left intentionally blank

Just do what you're told and if that means that you don't get the trucks loaded by the time I get there, don't worry about it. My colleagues and I will load my our trucks for $50 an hour instead of having you do it right for $11 an hour.

GenericUsername

Dude, the scanners aren't that bad. We went live on them about 2 or 3 weeks ago. I'm sitting in a 3 car spot with ~900-1100 pieces (Tuesday/Thursday dependent) and literally have to have help two or so times an hour on one of the three cars since it's stacked out. I find it amusing every time the preload manager walks by that he can't say anything to me about stacking out due to the scanner delay. Just let it go, it's not the same as it used to be. Put the scanner on your non-writing hand, even if it's difficult to do it, and just write on every. single. package. When driver start time hits, give your belt back to the sup and go home. Stop stressing over what you can't control. Remember though, scan every package and throw it back in their face when they question productivity...but do it whilst having the biggest s* eating grin on your face. It drives them wild.

Keenj

I could see if you have a preloader who sucks at their job and can't read the labels and put the package on the right car, but not everyone.

Jackburton

Gone Fish'n
Wait a few weeks, they'll have sups doing all the scanning, producing a false positive. Then when the music stops, whatever preload manager is in charged will be blamed for falsifying reports, and disciplined.

dudebro

Wait a few weeks, they'll have sups doing all the scanning, producing a false positive. Then when the music stops, whatever preload manager is in charged will be blamed for falsifying reports, and disciplined.
That would work, except the loader has to be "in the zone" of the package car when scanning. You can't just stand at the head of the belt and scan every car.

dudebro

Only if they give the drivers their own scanners they aren't supposed to be doing work under another's id linked to their scanner.
Drivers can use the scanners. It's trivial to log the preloader out, and log the driver in under his/her own GEMS ID on the same scanner and not violate any policy. Takes 10 seconds.

scratch

Least Best Moderator
Staff member
We went on the new scanning system a couple of weeks ago and I haven't had any missorts on my car. I'm disappointed, my supervisor used to come out and see me to get them........not anymore. I do have missing packages still. Now the company knows exactly what is on each car if the scanning is done correctly, so you drivers that are hiding missorts need to think about that if you have a target on your back.

Last edited: